You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: When to start skaters on the jump harness  (Read 2409 times)

Offline icesk8academy

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
When to start skaters on the jump harness
« on: May 20, 2016, 02:57:36 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I would like some advice.  When do coaches start using the harness with their skaters?  Waltz jump, single salcow, axel, or double jumps? I have always waited until my skaters are on axel.  And I like them to be able to do an axel off ice first.  I feel it's important for them to learn all the single jumps up to axel on their own to build confidence, body awareness, how to self correct when practicing, strength, and like them to learn through the single jumps that it is not scary to fall down when learning a jump.   It also gives my younger skaters something to work hard for. 

Am I way off base???  Should I be putting my skaters on the harness at waltz jump?  There is some discussion among the parents at our rink.  And I really don't want to short change my skaters if I am waiting too long or my coaching theories are outdated, or wrong.

Thanks!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
Re: When to start skaters on the jump harness
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 04:39:40 PM »
I am no coach and not very experienced but I haven't seen anyone at our rink using a harness for single jumps. And your reasoning makes a ton of sense to me.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 03:59:00 PM »
But doesn't it look fun anyway?

Trampolines look fun too. Though I wouldn't suggest using a trampoline with skates on!

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »
I have not seen any skaters (with what I consider more experienced coaches) in the harness for jumps under loop. I have seen some of the younger kids who are having trouble getting that full rev or who have fear put on the harness for loop, flip, and/or lutz. I usually don't see that for kids over 8, though it does happen. It's more normal for kids to start on the harness for axel or axel prep.

Some of the younger or newer coaches will put kids on the harness earlier, but it's not really for working on the jumps, it's more for playing and keeping them interested.