You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rinks near Antioch, Illinois?  (Read 4257 times)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Rinks near Antioch, Illinois?
« on: August 20, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'll be taking a quick trip to the Chicago area in about a week and a half with my family. My parents are making the move to Antioch later this year so I've been looking at rinks nearby so I can skate while I visit. I know Gurnee recently closed, and the only other one I've seen that's nearby is in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin.

Are there any rinks in the area that have ice dance sessions going on currently? Or any I should try to check out in general?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Rinks near Antioch, Illinois?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »
There's Saturday morning dance ice at Leafs Ice Arena in West Dundee. I don't know much about it, other than that it exists.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:49:14 AM »
Pleasant Prairie had ice dance sessions on weekends years ago.  I never went. 

Be sure to post a review when you have visited.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:39:36 PM »
You may already be finished up with your trip, but we live in the area. I'm not sure about dance sessions anywhere, but Pleasant Prairie is a beautiful facility. My daughter just did a competition there this last weekend.

Glacier in Vernon Hills is maybe 30 minutes from Antioch, it's been awhile since we've been there so I'm not sure on ice quality. They have two sheets and a big synchro program.

Leaf's is pretty far from Antioch and expensive, but an impressive facility with 3 sheets of ice and a humungous lobby.

Probably a good 45 minutes drive from Antioch is Triphahn Ice Arena in Hoffman Estates. They take good care of their ice (at least the last time we were there) and if you go for a weekday lunchtime public, it is cheap and empty. Daughter doesn't skate there anymore, and we miss the facility.

There are a slew of rinks in the North Shore area, along with synchro teams, so you might find a dance session at one of those rinks but I'm unfamiliar with them. We have been to Skokie Skatium a few times and it was decent. I know of somebody who does ice dance and I think he skates out of Centennial in Highland Park, so maybe they have a dance session. Another friend of ours skates at Robert Crown in Evanston and they like it there. Have fun!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »
Hey all!

I didn't end up skating at Pleasant Prairie, but my dad is going to be working in that area, so we swung by the facility to check it out. The rink seems nice, but didn't get a great look at it as hockey was going on. The facility as a whole is great though. Sister LOVES it and plans on getting a membership there when she moves up.
I'm excited for their outdoor lake skating in the winter. :)

I did end up getting down to Glenview Ice Center for a little while when we were in that area. I skated on that rink when I was little (around 3ish years old?) when my parents would take me skating. Last time I skated on it was maybe almost 15 years ago. It was nice to get on the rink there, and it smelled exactly the same as I remembered when I walked in. :)

Offline ARoo

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 11:30:45 PM »
You may already be finished up with your trip, but we live in the area. I'm not sure about dance sessions anywhere, but Pleasant Prairie is a beautiful facility. My daughter just did a competition there this last weekend.

We were there for Skate the Lake as well. We love going to the RecPlex for competition twice a year (and STARS testing this year). I am so jealous of their facility. :)