You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dresses from China on ebay?  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Newicemom2016

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Dresses from China on ebay?
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:03:34 PM »
Has anyone had experience with buying competition dresses from eBay?  I am Leary because you get what you pay for, and they just sound too cheap to be true.  They are usually made in China.  Are the crystals really cheap looking?  Do they fall apart, or stones fall off easily?  If anyone has had positive or negative experiences please let me know the sellers.  Thank you for your help. 

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: Dresses from China on ebay?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:10:06 PM »
I had a negative experience. My dress arrived, and I had paid over $100 for it. It was pretty much not the same dress. The skirt went to my knees, the skin colored mesh was yellow, and it fit terribly. It was sewn poorly, too.

I tried returning it, the seller fought back claiming it was what they sent. I wish I'd contested it on paypal to get my money back, because returning it to him cost me $50. I should have just kept it and burned it.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »
I bought one for one of my girls for $65 and we were very happy with it. I added some stones and have had to replace some that fell off, but it's been over a year and she is still happily wearing it. It's very hit or miss, I am sure, but worked for me!

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:01:19 PM »
Commenting as a dressmaker, you get what you pay for. If you are looking for an inexpensive dress with a stock fit, then eBay may work for you. Not everybody needs an expensive custom dress, especially for a growing child doing a few basic competitions. I can appreciate that there are different options for every budget but there is no way an eBay, made in China $150 dress can compare to something made by your local dressmaker using quality materials and sewing techniques.

Offline Newicemom2016

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »
I think you are right!  I bought one, and it looks ok, but it's definatelly not the same as the picture.  She is a very beginner, so I thought it was worth a try.  She has not even wore it yet and there are some stones coming off. 

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:38:27 PM »
I bought one for about $35 plus $25 shipping.  It looked just like the picture, and the velvet was good quality.  It had an applique with sequins and some crystals so it wasn't quite as sparkly as I expected but given the price, I wouldn't have expected a lot of crystals anyway.  The clasp (it had a halter neck) was plastic and I didn't trust it, so we changed that to double snaps.  I was very happy with it, and the dress has since gone on to a new owner, so it held up well.