You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating after pregnancy  (Read 6020 times)

Offline Minerva

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
Skating after pregnancy
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
I was just curious as to how long average skilled adults (jumps to lutz, camel spins, bronze dances) waited after pregnancy/child birth to start skating again.  How did you introduce yourself back on the ice, find time to skate with a newborn, and which skills came back quickly?

I'm missing the ice right now.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: Skating after pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
Well, I was back to coaching a month after my son was born, but only just started skating for myself again, nearing 3 years later - but that was more because I didn't make time for it than because I couldn't... (so I guess that's not much help! sorry!)

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »
First of all, congratulations on your baby!  :)

I got back to skate about 6 weeks after my daughter was born. The first time, everything felt strange. The basic spins came back in a few weeks, but I felt rather weak to jump (I had a c-section).

I started coaching again soon after. It was difficult to find time away from a newborn, but I did have a lot of help from my hubby & mother. I skated for myself infrequently, often with many months without skating in between (but I was still coaching). I didn't take lessons myself due to my inability to commit a regular time & the rink's policy of booking regular lessons (long story). It was only a few months ago that I got myself a coach and started taking lessons again.

I skated in competition about a year after my baby, had single jumps and Axel back then. However, doubles were frustrating (and continue to be, though its getting better).

You will miss the ice, find time to go back but take it easy... ask for help with the baby when you can. It took me years to learn that asking for help with the baby to do things *I* love to do is not selfish!

Offline morgail

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
Good question.  I'd been wondering about this too (I'm due in Sept).  I'm missing the ice, and was hoping I could start to skate again about the same time I go back to work (about 6-8 weeks after baby's birth).  I've been off the ice for a few months for injuries before, but nothing changes your body quite like pregnancy.  I suppose the key is just as chowskates said - take it slowly.  I just know how impatient I can be.   :)
Author of BREAKING THE ICE (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster), a figure skating novel for ages 8-12.

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 12:00:41 AM »
My biggest post pregnancy challenge was boots that no longer fit.  I went up a width and trying to wear my old boots was really painful. It kept me off the ice for a few years until I could justify buying new skates.  :(

Congrats on your baby - so much work, but oh so worth it.  :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 11:45:41 AM »
My biggest post pregnancy challenge was boots that no longer fit.  I went up a width and trying to wear my old boots was really painful. It kept me off the ice for a few years until I could justify buying new skates.  :(

I think this is the case for lots of us!!  I could just barely get my old skates on, and I skated in them after my first was born, but after my second they were just too tight and I only skated a handful of times after that.  It wasn't until I bought new boots that I really got back on the ice. 

From what I remember after my first baby, aside from my boots being too tight, I felt very "heavy" on the ice - which is understandable, as even though my weight was the same I had lost a certain amount of muscle mass.  I've never gotten back to having an axel or doubles... it's not currently a goal of mine, anyways, so not something I've worried about.

Offline Minerva

• Under the Edge
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
Thank you everyone for the responses.  I had a complicated pregnancy/delivery but am looking forward to getting back on the ice.  I never even thought about boots not fitting but I'm still at the stage where nothing fits (4 weeks post partum).  Hopefully I should be back on the ice in August  :D

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »
Minerva, I hope you're both doing fine now.  Nothing prepares you for complications, and they can totally turn your world upside down (temporarily). *hugs* Take your time, and come back when you're ready - there's no rush.  It's better to take a little extra time and make sure you're fully recovered than to come back too soon. 

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »
Late reply here but at my 6 week post partum check up I asked if I could skate, the doctor said yes and I was planning on skating that evening--hubby had other plans so I went back the next week.  (I was soooo mad at him).

Like others my skates were too small and I guess since I had skated in them while pregnant I had really broken them down so I had to get new skates.  That first season back was hard. Finally 3 years later I feel back to normal, even better possibly, with my skating.  So give it time and don't get frustrated.  I had a c-section so skating was awesome in building up my core strength again.

Offline Minerva

• Under the Edge
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
Just an update- Had a miserable outing at the rink (clumsy with too small skates).  I have increased between 0.5 - 1 shoe size.  Local rink has a skating camp running so I will probably try again next week.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 08:22:15 AM »
Be patient it will come back. 
I was silly and joined up with my synchro team when my son was 4 or 5 months old.  Definitely wasn' ready for that. 

Just do lots of stroking and skills.  You will feel comfortable again.  And isn't it crazy about the feet growing!  I went from size 8 shoes to size 9 and my skates went up at least half a size.