You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Private vs Group lessons for getting back into the sport  (Read 3570 times)

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Private vs Group lessons for getting back into the sport
« on: March 23, 2015, 12:06:34 AM »
I am just starting to get back into skating after 15 years, and even though some of my skills have come back, I want to progress and I don't want to form bad habits. I was thinking I'd start with private lessons to fine tune what I learned all those years ago, and then start up group lessons again when the new session starts in 2 months. Good idea? Bad idea? Waste of money?

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: Private vs Group lessons for getting back into the sport
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 12:29:28 AM »
When I came back after a 5 year break, I went into adult LTS classes just to get my feet back under me. I recommend it and then you can feel out coaching styles that way, too. :)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:11:31 AM »
I did the opposite too.  Group, then private.  But if group isn't for a couple of months, there's no reason privates would be bad.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:56:10 AM »
It seems like most of us who have taken an extensive break go to group classes first, then switch to private lessons, or continue with a combination of both.  I don't really think there is anything wrong with doing it the other way though - the more important part is that you have someone watching what you are working on and guiding your progression so you aren't learning any bad habits along the way that you'll have to undo later on. 

I honestly regret that I didn't sign up for a group class earlier than I did when I started skating again after my 10 year break - it took me nearly a year to work up the nerve to do it, and I wish I had done it SO much sooner - for whatever foolish reason I always felt like I wasn't "ready", but I know my progress would have been much faster and time on the ice much better spent than it had been working on things on my own.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »
I think privates would be a good idea!  You don't have to do multiple a week, or even weekly if you want to start slowly, and just have a good coach catch up with you occasionally.  This will really help your progress!  You can then do the group class when it's time.

As a returning adult, I started in a group class then graduated to privates.  The group coach wasn't too good on technique, so I developed bad, bad habits that nearly 3.5 years later I'm still trying to fix.  I tried to do moves that I hadn't done in over 10 years, and didn't have the musculature to do them properly.  Add in a terrible group coach and...

At the time, though, I started skating again "just for fun".  Now I'm testing and competing.  Gah!  This sport sucks you in!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 01:12:52 PM »
I did privates first. This was because I started taking from my daughter's coach, who convinced me to get back out there.  If you don't have a coach in mind, group lessons can be a good way to figure out who you want to take privates from.  Either way can work. 

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:43:22 PM »
Just do SOMETHING - I was in the boat as an above poster who said it took way too long to find a coach because of not being able to get up the nerve.

That being said, I started back in group class - for dance - it was good but I realized then how much I needed to relearn (this was after about 16 years of not having lessons) - I would go every week thinking about asking one of the coaches for lessons.  I could never decide.

Then I met some skaters at another rink - also doing dance - and instantly found a coach who was perfect for me - but yeah, just do something!!

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 04:35:49 PM »
Wow this was so helpful! Yes, I am just getting over the "okay, you CAN do this" phase. The money I'm throwing at new skates is definitely the push I need. After months of online researching, youtube videos, etc, I am FINALLY taking the plunge! I have officially emailed the rink for lessons and placed a definite spot for skating in my budget :)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Congrats!  Have fun and report back!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »
Woo! I also did group first,  and I've found that most rinks can pro rate the session if you want to sign up during one that has already started. Before that first session I took, I was definitely hesitant to ask for privates!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
If it makes you feel any better it took me about 4 years before I got up the nerve to take a class or any lessons - please do not wait that long!!!

Offline kr1981

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
Welcome back! I also started skating again after 15 years off, just last March. I would actually say to just start with privates. Or at least investigate what the group lessons at your rink are like before signing up. I was back on the ice for about 3 months before I started private lessons, but I wish I'd started them right away. I skated for a few weeks on my own just to make sure I'd stick with it--and a few skills came back from muscle memory. I then signed up for adult group lessons, but while it was technically a mixed level class, I was the only one who wasn't stepping on the ice for the first time. So, I didn't really get any instruction since everyone else was just trying to learn how to stay upright. Meanwhile, more skills were creeping back out of muscle memory, but I wasn't getting instruction on my technique. I started privates in June and that was what I should've just started with--because we've been able to work on skills as they come back from muscle memory (totally out of order, too... jumps before 3-turns, haha), work on new things, and correct bad habits and poor technique that was developed the few months I was skating unattended (it does not take long at all to learn bad habits, haha. Ugh).

So that said, if you can afford it, you'd get the most out of privates. Really getting something out of your lessons will also make you want to stick with it. However, if your rink offers true mixed-level classes where the instructor goes around and spends time with each student--with whatever you're working on--that might be a good, inexpensive way to dip your toes back in. Before committing time and money to group lessons, I would just ask around and make sure that they would really be beneficial to someone who has skated before. Because even though it'll sometimes seem like relearning things takes forever, skills will come back out of nowhere and it'll be exciting and you'll want to work on them.  :)