You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skates for Formal testing.  (Read 2942 times)

Offline HannahLouise

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
Skates for Formal testing.
« on: July 25, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
Would I be allowed to wear my favourite skates to a formal testing for something like Field Moves, because they have slightly glittered bottoms to them... I know that's not what they're looking at, but you're usually asked to dress in black to look smart and so they can check you're all in line (Etc...) but, would it be classed as 'distracting' if my skates were slightly sparkly. I usually just wear my skates that I've bought specifically for things like formal testing, however, I'm much more comfortable in these sparkle skates! Thank you in advance and sorry if it sounds like a stupid question!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Skates for Formal testing.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »
I for one would not judge that against you - in fact I would barely notice!

Offline HannahLouise

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »
Woo, thank you! I just didn't want testing to come around and their only comment be about my skates  :-\ , feel better about wearing them now so thank you  :angel:

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
Woo, thank you! I just didn't want testing to come around and their only comment be about my skates  :-\ , feel better about wearing them now so thank you  :angel:

I'm pretty sure their only comment won't be about your skates. That's not meant to be about you personally, but it seems everyone gets some commets.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »
I usually just wear my skates that I've bought specifically for things like formal testing

This stuck out at me- you have two pairs?  For me, switching between two skates is a HUGE adjustment.  I know some people can do it, but I can't.

If you ever plan to use these more formal skates, make sure you get plenty of practice time in them.

However, I don't think it matters.  Wear the skates you love wearing. A good judge isn't going to remark on anything but the skating. Heck- even the skaters at Nationals and Worlds occasionally have stickers or crystals on their skates.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
I know a skater who has slightly glittered soles as well. No one really minds, as long as she does her elements. :)

Offline HannahLouise

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »
This stuck out at me- you have two pairs?  For me, switching between two skates is a HUGE adjustment.  I know some people can do it, but I can't.

If you ever plan to use these more formal skates, make sure you get plenty of practice time in them.

However, I don't think it matters.  Wear the skates you love wearing. A good judge isn't going to remark on anything but the skating. Heck- even the skaters at Nationals and Worlds occasionally have stickers or crystals on their skates.

That's true, Johnny Weir even has red soles... Very jealous!

I know, but my friend suggested it to me as she does the same. Both the same brand and type of skates, except one has glitter! I've broken both in properly but as I wear them more often, my glitter pair seem more comfortable for long practises. It never takes me longer than a lap of skating to adjust to them again, it's just, for some reason, the pair I use for testing, seem to cut into the backs above my ankle if I wear them too long? Very confused.

Anyway, happy skating and and you for replying  :angel:

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »

That stuck out at me, too.  I don't know anybody who keeps an extra pair of skates only for special things like testing.  That would terrify me!  I want to do my important things like testing and competing in the skates that I wear all the time so I know exactly how they will respond.  Is it common where you are for people to have "practice skates" and "dress skates"?

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 12:07:08 PM »
That stuck out at me, too.  I don't know anybody who keeps an extra pair of skates only for special things like testing.  That would terrify me!  I want to do my important things like testing and competing in the skates that I wear all the time so I know exactly how they will respond.  Is it common where you are for people to have "practice skates" and "dress skates"?

I keep an old pair of skates for coaching LTS in but not for my own skating! First off, too much $$ to have two pairs and second, I want to be comfortable in my skates - especially at a test or competition!

Offline HannahLouise

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »

I understand where this looks strange to you all, it's strange to me too sometimes but...

Generally yes, a lot of my friends do this which is where I got the idea from. But also, I think this came from my obsession of wanting to own loads of pair is skates that I kind of convinced my parents into it... The more I read into all of your comments, I'm more steered towards keeping to one pair and perhaps a spare pair if needed. They're just so pretty though. Some people collect handbags, I collect skates... Not entirely sensible.

Breaking in my new pair of skates tomorrow as my current Riedells are feeling tight (not glitter pair, which leads me to think, my testing pair wasn't measured properly so that's why they've been a bit off recently). Feeling like a total traitor having Riedells all my life and now getting Jacksons...