You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Reviews of twist boards?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Reviews of twist boards?
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
Can any of you rate "twist boards". I vaguely remember one of them being reviewed on this board, but can't find it.

Twist boards are spinners, that I hope are more stable than most skate spinners, and with a wider diameter - so I hope my foot position won't be as critical.

(I've got 3 designated "skate spinners", so far - two of the turntable type, one of the rounded plastic single piece type, but none are stable enough for me. I keep flying off them without control. All it takes is a foot misplacement of a few millimeters.)

There are a bunch of brands, some of which I list here with current eBay links:

Everlast Twist Board
  Bally Twist Board

There are less common brands too:

Twist Waist Torsion Disk Board" (I just ordered one, because it was cheap but am not sure it will do  :drama:)
  Twist Diameter Exercise Fitness Board
  Fiturbo-Massage-Figure-Twister
  ActionLine Pilates Twist Board
  Benovate Waist Abdominal Leg Exerciser Figure Trimmer Twist Board
  Pilates Twist Board - with stretch bands - not sure can be used to practice spinning

Have you folks tried any of them?
Review?
Nominal weight limit?
Suitable for jumping from?
How do they compare to other skate spinners?

And just curious - is there a heavier duty model used by PTs and such, strong enough to practice jumps from?

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Reviews of twist boards?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »
The $7.27 twist board (includes shipping) (also called a "wobble board", according to the instructions) I ordered has come, and I think I like it, better than the 3 skate spinners I have previously tried, all of which cost more.

(I have previously tried "Gold Medal" brand spinners, one that looks like this, one that looks like this, and one from Rainbo, that looks like this.)

In particular, because it is 10" is diameter, larger than the diameter of the little spinners I have previously tried, and it has a lot of horizontal stability, it is easier to put my foot on it in a way that I don't immediately go flying off. Basically, the improved stability slows down the loss of balance to be within my reaction speeds. I suppose each of spinners I've tried has their advantages. Maybe it is my relatively poor sense of balance and slow reflexes that makes the recent one seem best... In fact, if I could find an even bigger and more stable one - say 12" - 15" in diameter, I might like it even better.

It is still going to take me a while to make it work well. I can only stay balanced on it if I go very slow. But, I always make slow progress in athletic things.

There is no brand name on it.

I don't happen to believe that the "reflexology magnets" built into the board affect anything, but that wasn't why I ordered it. If I put the side with the pictures of two feet up, I can feel the little upraised portions on my (bare) foot, so I can feel that I have placed it where I want.

You can also place two feet on it, and practice "the twist" - useless for skating, but it is exercise.

I tried some small jumps off of it, but am not far enough along to evaluate it's use for that.