You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Heel lifts?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Heel lifts?
« on: June 09, 2013, 01:41:29 AM »
Has anyone tried putting inserts in their skates, or more drastically, had the physical heels altered on the boots to make their heel height higher? I ask because I know on my Edeas, they're freestyle boots but comparatively have higher heels than most other boots I've seen, and especially compared to my old Jacksons.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is, because on weightlifting shoes, they have a raised heel, usually 3/4" to actually a little over 2 inches is allowed. The reason is basically, higher heel, easier to sit back when trying to get lower. Like if you just go squat to pick up something or whatever, odds are you'll probably squat onto your toes, at least me and most people I see do (I think the reason is partially flexibility, but I'm thinking now it's actually because of poor glute muscle activation/stuff to do with your hips.) In figure skating, obviously figure skating boots have raised heels compared to hockey or speed skates I think for this reason, to put you farther back or allow you to go farther back. Ice dance boots generally compared to freestyle boots have higher heels, too.

So, who's tried messing around with heel height here or knows anything about this? I'm tempted to get some cheap lifts and try it out. Are there any real negatives to having a higher boot heel? Will it affect jumps negatively perhaps, and that's why it's not in fashion on freestyle boots to have the heels as high as dance boots?

Thanks very much.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Heel lifts?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:55:29 AM »
Changing the heel height by adding anything on the inside of your skates will effect the way the heel counter fits your heel - which may lead to physical problems.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Heel lifts?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 02:51:26 AM »
At Coach's suggestion, my current skates had an extra layer of leather applied to the heel by Jackson as they were made, to counter an unfortunate tendency to carry my weight too far back.  So far so good (fingers crossed...)