You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Klingbeil closing :(  (Read 21499 times)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Klingbeil closing :(
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »
  it does seem an end of a bit of history. I've heard from people who were Knebli users "back in the day" who still discuss those boots with fondness and a wish that they had continued ...

And Stanzioni's.

I always wanted a pair of Knebli boots.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
I looked up Stanzoni -  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1076622/index.htm

WOW!  Can you imagine?  Being a parent and buying boots fr your skater that could be adjusted for growth for 2 seasons?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
I looked up Stanzoni -  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1076622/index.htm

WOW!  Can you imagine?  Being a parent and buying boots fr your skater that could be adjusted for growth for 2 seasons?

Actually, that is exactly what we got from our Klingbeils. First, they are all leather - so you can stretch them for about a full size - and, with the customs, you can (could) get growth insoles that pop out and give you further growth room. We got 1-1/2 size in growth with the current pair.  Plus, they would rebuild them ... no problem - which certainly cut down on the "broken down" boots, and, with their customizing them for height/weight/leg length, you never had to over or underboot ...

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »
If Stanzione's were made today they would cost $640.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 03:55:01 PM »
Actually, I hadn't read renatele's post carefully - I thought it was an unconfirmed rumor.

My Klings are breaking down, but they've had 11 years, thousands of hours on the ice, and some deliberate extra physical, chemical and thermal extreme efforts to break them in. Mine didn't fit, but I blame that on the outside fitter, not the company. When I came up to their factory store 5 or 6 years later, they rebuilt them for free, and tried in vain to make them fit - no charge.

Everything about Klingbeil boots bespeaks quality, and everything about my interactions with Don and company bespoke a total commitment to service, along with an extraordinary amount of knowledge and experience.

The community of expert custom skate boot makers is extremely small. It's possible they contacted all the ones that were at loose ends, if there were any, and no one was interested. Perhaps they also didn't want the family name attached to someone less expert, or who would provide poorer service.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »
If Stanzione's were made today they would cost $640.

Which is about on par with Klingbeils and where (full) customs from SP Teri or Harlick start.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 06:57:59 PM »
An amusing story about figure skating by Robert A. Heinlein starts on page 145 of this book.
You'll have to read it all the way through to find out why it's in this thread.

It also gives a look into figure skating decades ago.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
Love the story AgnesNitt!
Now my first skates were Oberhamers. Anyone else remember those? There is a brief mention of these skates here:

http://robsrollerworld.homestead.com/Tidbits.html

Klingbeils and others are also mentioned. (scroll down about half way)

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2011, 08:43:32 PM »
Now my first skates were Oberhamers. Anyone else remember those?

I have a small collection of vintage skates, a pair of Oberhamers among them.  Very well made!
My glass is half full :)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2011, 08:56:13 PM »

Now my first skates were Oberhamers. Anyone else remember those? There is a brief mention of these skates here:

I had Oberhamers.  They were good boots but as a kid I was jealous of my dad who had custom Harlicks and my friends who had Knebli's. 

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 02:57:13 PM »
I just called Klingbeil. The last day for orders is Jan 7. They will be in the shop until the end of January. They are open this week through Friday and are closed Saturday and next Monday.

Oh, and their current price is $649, including any 'extras'. I think I paid $610 for my current pair by the time all was said and done, so it's not that big of an increase for me.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 04:41:10 AM »
My first skates were Altamuras. There's possibly only one or two other people here who might remember them. Altamura was an Australian brand of skate (yes, it's true!), and I understand their higher level boots were like bricks to wear. I only had the recreational level, which is probably a good thing from what I've heard! I still have them at the back of the wardrobe as a relic of my teenage skating days (and they may be of historical interest at some point). A friend of mine still skates in hers, but she only skates occasionally on public sessions.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2011, 05:37:17 PM »
My first skates were Altamuras. There's possibly only one or two other people here who might remember them.  Altamura was an Australian brand of skate (yes, it's true!), and I understand their higher level boots were like bricks to wear.

Oh yes I remember them!  When I first started 8(?) years ago, for the first year or so I used my husband's old skates from when he was at uni (yes my feet are that big).  They were black Altamuras I sprayed white, and I still have the calluses on my Achilles tendons from them, and the doctor says I likely always will.  Built like the proverbial outhouse...

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2011, 11:05:11 PM »
I just called Klingbeil. The last day for orders is Jan 7. They will be in the shop until the end of January.

Any word on just why Klingbeil is closing ? Bad 1930's Depression economy ? Mis-management ? Labor problems ? Enron style graft ? Overwhelming competition and market situations ? Just lost interest, and moving on to a different business ? I hope that the owners and employees can look beyond the closing and continue to work things out for the best possible outcome of each one affected, and their families.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2011, 11:17:33 PM »
The speculation at my rink is that health issues are likely to be forcing the closure.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 08:41:25 AM »
When I called them yesterday, she made it seem that they went out of business because lack of business.  I wish them all the best.  I love the skates a lot because they were perfect for me.  Klingbeil going out of business is like Riedell going out or SP Teri. 

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
I spoke to Don today. Health issues are not the reason. It's purely the business environment and there are many aspects of that which just do not support the kind of high-level craftmanship and extended service business model that Klingbeil has always been.

Don has extended the Last Order deadline to Jan. 14.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2012, 10:20:32 PM »
Klingbeil closing story  http://gazebonews.com/2012/01/01/new-skates-from-old-friends-in-the-new-year/

Nice article - I liked the "I love Don Klingbeil!" line!  I'll bet a lot of people feel the same way.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »
Nice article - I liked the "I love Don Klingbeil!" line!  I'll bet a lot of people feel the same way.

I sure do!

I called Klingbeil's today to order an extra pair of insoles, and spoke with Lorraine.  She said that it was a tough decision for Don, but he finally just had to do it.  He's not sure what he's doing next, except taking some time off to think about things. 
My glass is half full :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »
Well, I just ordered my last pair of the most amazing boots in the skating world. I think this will be pair number 4 for me. It was only last November that I got Pair #3, but I decided that I would bite the bullet and open the purse for one more pair before the doors close. Two brand new pair should last me quite a while. Janice was such a sweetie on the phone. She said the phone is ringing off the hook and emails are pouring in expressing sadness and good wishes. They really are appreciative of the outpouring of support.
Bless you, Klingbeil Family!! You will be missed.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »
For anyone who still wants to order or is considering it - as of today Don is extending the Last Order day to Jan. 21st and anything ordered on or before will be finished. They have been inundated with orders and will just stay there for however long it takes (an extra month or more) to fulfill those orders. I was in the workroom today and they were sure busy! Everyone there is just fantastic.

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »
I'll be sending my skates to them tomorrow to have the tongues replaced, since it was getting to be time to do that anyway. My coach looked at the boots and said they would last me at least another year, if not 2, so I'm going to hold off on new skates for now.

That's nice that they extended their deadline. I'm sure they had their reasons for doing things as they did, but they might be less inundated if they announced their closing farther in advance. Then there wouldn't be mass panic. And this time of year is hard anyway, with the holidays and all, to plan unexpected skate fittings and purchases.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »
Update from Klingbeil's Facebook page:

Dear valued customers,

We at Klingbeil want to thank you for your wonderful letters and suport. Its because of you we are still in business. We are sincerely grateful (sp) for the increased demand for our boots. We should be on Channel 7 News in New York Jan 17 at 5 pm. I hope you can watch it.

Thank You,
 Donald Klingbeil

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Klingbeil-skating-boots/292901017391686

Can someone capture/share this news report so those of us out of the area can watch?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com