You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Positive article on figure skating --  (Read 3218 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Positive article on figure skating --
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:55:31 AM »
OK, tell us the errors.... :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »
9 11 and 13.
Men can do layback spins, it's just not considered 'masculine' by the dinosaurs in the skating community.

Vocals aren't banned. OR did that rule change? Again?

I'm a little iffy on the props thing. I thought that I'd seen a hat used by Ben Agosta in one ice dance competition--not an exhibition, but I'm willing to be told I'm wrong.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:54:26 PM »
If you read 9 (men can't do laybacks) more carefully - not just the headline

It’s thought that female skaters typically have more success doing the maneuver than men.

that is likely true. I'm pretty certain that a smaller fraction of male skaters can do them than women, because, on average, males are less flexible - even, I believe, male skaters, though Adam Rippon, among others, has used it in competition.

11 was true before 2018 - vocals were banned for at least some disciplines. So it depends when this was written. At this point, it is merely out of date. (Now, however, even rap can be appropriate Music.)

13 is complicated, because it is possible the ban on props only covers SOME competitions:

According to rule 501 of the ISU 2016 technical rules (the most recent version I can find on the ISU website) (emphasis mine)

At ISU Championships, the Olympic Winter Games and International
Competitions
, the clothing of the Competitors must be modest, dignified and
appropriate for athletic competition... Clothing may, however, reflect the character of the music chosen... Accessories and props are
not permitted.

Perhaps a hat is "clothing", not a prop, especially if it reflects the character of the music.

However, I haven't looked at all the rules, so I may have missed something important.

In any event, sometimes general statements can be mostly true, or true under some circumstances, some of the time. For example, ISI and ISU rules are not identical - there are lots of props in some disciplines at ISI events. Also, I don't see why there can't be ice theater and skating production competitions, using props. (Now that I think of it, Grass Roots to Champions: Young Artists Showcase includes a choreography competition, in which props are often used.)