You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rank the Turns  (Read 4152 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Rank the Turns
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:14:46 PM »
How would you rank the different types of turns by difficulty?  What order do you think they should be learned in?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Rank the Turns
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:21:42 PM »
I would rank brackets way over all three turns. Brackets require much better edge control and are easily cheated into three turns. Choctaws appear at the same time as brackets in the ISI structure, to me they are somewhat easier than brackets. Don't know much about rockers and counters, figure-esque edge control required again IMO.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 10:38:46 PM »
Choctaws appear at the same time as brackets in the ISI structure

Yet at our rink, all the coaches expect you to do the choctaw in the power 3-turn pattern in the Greek letter levels.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »
Power 3 (choctaw) is kind of doable, alternating 3 (choctaw) gave me a really hard time. There are two kinds of choctaws in FS5 steps, for me the second one is way harder than the first. In conclusion, not all choctaws are created equal? ;)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:33:25 PM »
Isn't the second one in the ISI 5 footwork a closed choctaw?  Anything closed is always harder IMO :)

Power 3's use choctaws.. that's the step from backwards to forwards.  Forward spins also use them from the back XO entrance... so a skater has usually been "introduced" to the choctaw before they understand that it is an actual turn.

Personally... I think inside mohawks are easiest (forwards or backwards), then forward 3's, then outside mohawks, then choctaws, then back 3's, then brackets, then rockers and counters are about the same.

I agree that brackets are easily cheated into 3's by some skaters, but that really only happens when they aren't done with enough speed or a deep enough edge (I mean on close to a flat).  At speed it's impossible to really "cheat" a bracket if the edge going into it is good.

I've been working on rockers and counters lately as my coach has been having me work on forward to backwards and forward again power pulls - no change of foot, all I'm allowed is a turn and it's much easier to do them with a rocker or a counter. 

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 01:35:34 AM »
forward to backwards and forward again power pulls - no change of foot, all I'm allowed is a turn and it's much easier to do them with a rocker or a counter. 

Those are awesome, particularly when done as a mirrored step sequence.  I am really liking that it is showing up in a lot of junior short dances this year.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 03:33:12 PM »
Back choctaws are no big deal, it's the forward ones that are hard, particularly if you have closed hips.  I wouldn't call the turn in the F alternating three pattern a choctaw, as there's really a little 1/4 flip of the foot before stepping forward, so you're not on an edge.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
I don't really consider "step forward" to be a choctaw...

I would say turns should be learned as:
Forward 3-turns
Inside Mohawks
Back 3-turns
Brackets
Outside Mohawks
Counters/Rockers
Choctaws

That said, in terms of what I think is easy: choctaws are NOT!  Any turn  that goes CW I like, though some of the counters/rockers and BI3s are harder than other CW turns.  Any turn that goes CCW I hate.  I have a better counter/rocker/bracket than I do a RFI3.

For me, it has nothing to do with the leg turning, the edge I'm on, it is all about the rotation.
The exception to this rule is back outside 3s- I love both of those equally, though they aren't as good as my forward CW 3s. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »
Power 3 (choctaw) is kind of doable, alternating 3 (choctaw) gave me a really hard time.

I wouldn't call the turn in the F alternating three pattern a choctaw, as there's really a little 1/4 flip of the foot before stepping forward, so you're not on an edge.

I don't really consider "step forward" to be a choctaw...

I am confused... Help please ???

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »
By definition a choctaw is a turn that changes foot, edge, and direction.  (Mohawks on the other hand change foot and direction but keep the same edge).

So if you are winding up for a spin (I'm CW), you are holding a left back inside edge, and you step forward to a right forward outside edge.  By defintion, this is a choctaw.

But as far as I'm concerned, that is "step forward".  The choctaws that go from forward to back are HARD.  HARD.  Really hard. (IMO, but it's like a more difficult mohawk, and I hate those, so it is no wonder I dislike choctaws.  I can do a few different counters and rockers, I can't do any choctaws that aren't "step forwards") It doesn't even seem like the movement is related at all, that's why I don't think step forward "counts" as a choctaw.

Here is a nice choctaw:

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
A lot of skaters do refer to B choctaws & mohawks as "step forwards", but by definition they really are choctaws and mohawks,
whereas I don't regard what's in that video as choctaws.  There are no edges.  The skater is really on the flat of the blade, that is, on both edges at once.  You can see that quite clearly in the last few turns.  The USFS is starting to clean up this kind of thing, which is why they removed the "bracket-three-bracket" move from Novice MIF.  The brackets were really one foot turns on flats (as we called them in roller skating.) If you want to see a very clear example, take a look at the FI choctaw in the Blues.  Here's Anissina & Peizerat skating it:

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 09:10:01 PM »
When I was still in ISI there was a woman in my Gamma class that couldn't do Forward 3's, but she could do brackets. It was weird. Coaches would just stare at her in slack jawed amazement.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Harleyboy

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 57
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »
Because I still can't do acceptable inside 3s, Im going to say that they are the hardest turn.  I'll worry about the fancy stuff later.

What I really joined this thread to say was this:
The clip of Anissina & Peizerant was fantastic.. Thanks  Sk8Dreams..Wow, just wow!

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
The clip of Anissina & Peizerant was fantastic.. Thanks  Sk8Dreams..Wow, just wow!

Glad you liked it.  It cost me about half an hour, because I got sucked into watching more skating on youtube.  It's amazing what you can find.