You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: blade rocker / level?  (Read 6469 times)

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
blade rocker / level?
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »
Just curious--I switched to new blades about 6 weeks ago. Went from a very worn out 8 foot rocker to a new 7 foot rocker, MK Dance blades.

I've had quite a time adjusting to them. Slowly it's coming but I still can't do twizzles & higher level turns without losing my balance. I haven't decided 100% if I'll keep them or switch to a flatter blade.

I'm Intermediate moves/pre-gold dance level. These are high level blades, but I wonder how many people really skate on such a round blade?

So--let's have it--your blade rocker & level please, let's see who's out there! I miss my flat blades, but I do see advantages to these as well, which is why I'm trying to stick it out.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
Re: blade rocker / level?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 03:05:23 PM »
MK Phantom blades - 7 ft rocker.

Intermediate Moves/Pre-Silver dance/Silver FS level.

I can see where it would be a huge transition from a flat 8ft to a new 7ft blade. I have some issues when I go from trashed 7ft to new 7ft just because the old ones were much flatter. That being said, I've always had a blade with a 7ft rocker for whatever reason.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 03:11:33 PM »
I use Ultima Dance - 8 foot rocker.

I'm on my Pre-Silvers, have Gold MIF and Silver Free.  These are a thinner blade, so more maneuverable, but still have the 8 ft. rocker I've had for years.  There was still quite an adjustment period, especially with spins.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »
What blade were you on with the 8 ft rocker?

I have to say that I have worn MK Dance for YEARS but don't like them - feel unbalanced, unstable - and I know that a lot of the adult dancers have tried them and gone to other dance or synchro blades (like the Ultima which I believe has an 8 ft rocker).

I keep thinking I will switch out the current MK dance with a pair of Super Dance 99 which has an 8-foot rocker and are more stable even though they are shorter...

And then there is that thing about just going from an 8 fo rocker to a 7-foot and new blades in general that you have that kind of "whoops" feeling when you are doing a three-turn - also with the MK dance the bottom pick is blunted and I think set kind of differently so yeah, there is that "Whoops" -

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 04:39:58 PM »
Coronation dance so 7ft rocker. Just switched to these which are 1/2 inch shorter than my old blades. I've been on Cor Aces since I started skating again 3 years ago so these seemed the easiest to switch to.

Passed NISA level 2 pattern dance (so passed Canasta tango and Dutch Waltz). Hoping to test again before Xmas but we'll see! Working towards level 3 field moves too but they are nowhere near ready. Only worn these twice so far and I think any minor balance problems are more to do with the new shorter length and being in boots that actually FIT me now.

Tried Ultima dance attached to some Jackson dance boots a wee while ago. Didn't like them much but I was only on them for a short while. The rocker felt very pronounced on the forwards section of the blades, esp when trying 3 turns. It felt as if I was going to faceplant any any moment and like someone stole the toepicks. I think they are 8 foot rockers.

It may not be whether it is a 7 or 8 foot rocker that you are struggling with, but rather where the sweet spot lies for turns / spins etc on your new blades is different. What were you on before?

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »
I was on Ultima Dance before & never really liked them. Always felt I was being pushed backwards & actually fell over backwards many times in them. In the new blades I definitely feel more stable when backwards. The sweet spot is definitely in a different place, much closer to the middle of my foot, so don't have to rock so far forward to turn. Of course part of that was a function of how worn out the previous ones were.

I also really love the slimline feature, want to keep that regardless if I switch.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
What blade were you on with the 8 ft rocker?

I've been on Ultima blades for a long time.  Most recently it was Ultima synchro - that was kind of a transition between freestyle and dance blades.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 05:31:23 PM »
I've been in Gold Seals (8 foot rocker) for the past 1.5 years. Before that I was on MK Pros (7 foot rocker) for years - 7 maybe?
When these wear out, I'll probably get the Eclipse version. I'm Junior MIF/Silver Dance/Silver FS.

I felt comfortable jumping pretty fast, took much longer to feel comfortable spinning (two months before I felt truly comfortable), rockers/counters were easier right away.  I still wear my old blades/boots once a week (to teach LTS) and am fine doing basic skill level work in them (waltz/sal/toe/half jumps/basic spins, etc) but don't feel secure doing spirals/higher level work because I am now used to the other rocker...that and I never sharpen them.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:50:27 PM »
MK Phantoms.  Novice MIF, Gold FS level.   Would never, ever wear anything else.   :love:  Spins are centered, jumps are great, Novice moves near ready to test.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 08:04:06 PM »
I was on Ultima Dance before & never really liked them. Always felt I was being pushed backwards & actually fell over backwards many times in them. In the new blades I definitely feel more stable when backwards. The sweet spot is definitely in a different place, much closer to the middle of my foot, so don't have to rock so far forward to turn. Of course part of that was a function of how worn out the previous ones were.

I also really love the slimline feature, want to keep that regardless if I switch.

I do feel very stable backwards in the MK Dance and I do like the slimline -

I have heard from a couple of sources that that new dance blade is really good - very stable - it has a high stantion though - not sure I would like that.  I can't remember the name of it but can dig it out later. One thing I liked about the Super Dance is that the stanchion was lower and that made me feel more stable.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »
Guess I'm the lowest so far.

MK Professionals. 7 foot rocker.  Working on Bronze MITF and FS as much as my lungs will allow me to.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 10:11:37 PM »
Wilson Gold Seals, but my original pair were a gift from my brother.  I was working on an axel at the time.  Really helped my spins and jumps.  Tried stepping down to an Ultimate stock blade, hated them, so I'm sticking with the GOld Seals for now.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 11:35:13 PM »
Phantom profile Paramounts, working on gold moves and silver free.  I skated on phantoms before switching to paramounts - it would take a lot to convince me to try something different.  I love the pick configuration and the spin rocker really works well for me.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 01:10:39 AM »
Eclipse Mist - 7ft I believe.  I also had trouble adjusting after coming off of a worn down Ultima that I'm guessing had a 7ft rocker at one point but were almost completely flat by the time I switched :P Junior Silver dances (pre silver to the US folks).  It took me a good 2 months to get used to the new ones.  I skate about 5 hours a week.  I noticed a huge dip in my skills (moves) patterns as well as my dances.  But it all leveled out and now I'm glad I switched.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 06:29:18 PM »
Bronze/low presilver-ish dancer as near as I can tell from comparing to your test system.  Skating on MK Pros for the past 2.5 years; came to them from ground-flat Ultima Somethings which were originally 8', but by the time I retired them I suspect they might have been closer to 9'!!  I well remember the pitch and yaw as I got used to the very rocky rocker.

One thing which might help is maybe changing your hollow.  I started the Ultimas at 1/2", but was skating on 7/16" when the blades were nearly at the end of their lives.  I was having trouble controlling the then-new 7' blades, so my sharpener suggested I move down to 1/2" and that worked.  I liked it so much I've stayed there!

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »
To be honest I have no clue.  But I looked it up and I guess I have a 7ft rocker.  I have the john Wilson coronation ace dance blades...because they are cheaper than MK.  :). I can tell you the difference between my blade and mk because I have skated in both.  People are surprised when I tell them oh you will feel this in such and such blades.   I miss my mk dance blades.  I am not the typical adult skater and it takes me maybe 30 minutes to an hour to adjust from mk to John Wilson.

I am testing soon my last Canadian diamond dance.  I competed throughout my teens in dance. I can force myself  to adjust to most blades including very dull blades...I just partnered a test with no edges and have done round of my dance.  I am of the mind you just figure out how to make it work.  Might not be the best way but this is my way and it works with dance blades...i tried figure blades like 20 years ago and hated them.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »
Gold Seal with their 8 ft rocker. Adult gold level but no longer compete. Landing double loops. Had Pattern 99 before GS so it was a major adjustment. Took a while to get used to them and use them properly. Once I did everything improved. Jumps are huge now.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
According to one of my old coaches, high level russian skaters skate in Gold Seals. 
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 01:37:01 AM »
Keep in mind that blade adjustments are not just a matter of rocker radius (7' vs 8') but also rocker profile.  You'd have  less of an adjustment going from a 7' MK Gold Star to an 8' Wilson Gold Seal than going from a 7' MK Gold Star to a 7' MK Phantom for that very reason.  I went from a Gold Star (7' radius) to Gold Seal (8' radius) and had zero adjustment on my spins and jump takeoffs, since those blades have the same rocker shape.  It was just back crossovers that required adjustment, since the 8' radius blade was flatter in the back and that required me to put my weight farther back on the blade when skating backwards. The adjustment between the 7' MK Phantom and the 8' Wilson Pattern 99 would also be a fairly easy one, since those two blades have similar rocker profiles.  If you have switched to a blade with both a rounder rocker profile and a rounder rocker (7' instead of 8'), that's going to be a big adjustment.  They are all good blades; it's just a matter of what rocker profile you're used to, since that will determine the sweet spot and affect the timing of your spins, jumps. and turns.  FWIW, I compete in Adult Gold and am working on Novice MIF.  The reason I love my Gold Seals is that the round rocker in the front is great for spinning and edge jump takeoffs (especially axel) but the flatter blade in the middle and back of the blade provide better stability and glide than my old 7' blades.