You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Cleaning the inside of skates?  (Read 16071 times)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Cleaning the inside of skates?
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:15:57 AM »
Is there a good way to clean the inside of skates?  I take the insoles out and wash them with soap regularly, but my skates reak.  They also have thick brown marks on them where my foot rubs, and I can only assume that is dead skin. 

Can I run a soapy cloth inside the skates?  Or is there a product that will help clean them?  They are pretty darn gross, and only a year old...

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Cleaning the inside of skates?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »
I open them and make sure they are out of the bag so they can dry.  I'm considering making silica gel packs with fleece to dry them mid week when she skates am and pm several days in a row.  You could swipe them with Listerine if you think it's extra stinky.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »
They do always dry out of the bag. 

I'm just worried about what might be growing in them, since there is a layer of foot gunk forming along the side of them. listerine? Might try that.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »
She buys the generic kid at the 99 cent store.  :)  Just to sanitize.  I noticed that for hockey players there is a sanitation company for equipment, I wonder if it works for skates?  http://iceoasis.com/hockey/gear-wash.html

Offline ptarmigan11

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
Baking soda is a great odor neutralizer as the sodium bicarbonate is anti-microbial. It works for neutralizing under-arm odors caused by bacteria when used in place of deodorant, so it should do just as well if you rub a bit into the interior walls of the boots with a soft brush or cloth.
Began figure skating in March 2011
Currently working on Flip and Lutz jumps

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »
How do you then remove the baking soda?  

It seems like it would be a major irritant against my feet.  

Is this only odor neutralizing?  Because I also really would like to rid the skates of the source of the odor- all the dead skin build up.

Offline ptarmigan11

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
I've never felt it as an irritant against my feet. I use it in my sneakers if I walk barefoot in them, after I get caught in the rain, or if I step in a grimy puddle. It's a very fine powder, so it won't feel like sand if that's worrying you.

I'm not recommending you use a whole box for the job - maybe a teaspoon gently sprinkled and rubbed in. If you use something like a toothbrush to lightly scrub, it should dislodge any sloughed off skin cells on the surface. The baking soda will kill the bacteria that are hanging around in the boots consuming the sweat and skin cells (bacteria are what cause the odor, not the actual skin cells/sweat).

After you've used the baking soda, you can shake out your boots or even stick a vacuum hose inside. If you're still concerned about trying it, give it a go with a pair of tennis shoes to test it out.

I'm recommending it because I've found it to be a mild (as opposed to caustic), effective, and dry approach with my shoes. Can't see why it wouldn't translate to skating boots.
Began figure skating in March 2011
Currently working on Flip and Lutz jumps

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »
I make my own "odour and sweat" inserts.  Basically, I take a heavy pair of tights that aren't usable anymore; tie off one end, fill it about 4 inches long with silica gel (you can get it in bulk from places that sell flower drying supplies); knot it again, they, fill about 1 inch further with activated charcoal (get it from pet stores, it's the stuff that goes inside aquarium filters); knot again, and I"m done. Repeat instructions to make 2.  The "sausages" that result are then placed in the skate at the end of each skating session. There is no odour eft due to the charcoal, the skates stay nice and dry, and it's cheap. Plus, you can actually reuse the silica if you follow the directions on reactivating the crystals.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »
I skate barefoot and after a while they get gross inside. I remove the footbed and give that a thorough scrubbing, then swipe the inside (as far as I can get) with a slightly damp washcloth. That's about it.  After every skate, I spray the inside with a spray I made (alcohol and tea tree oil).
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »
I know exactly what Skittl's talking about.  My DDs Freestyles are also turning black inside and smell awful.  The skate shop owner is always happy to give back these skates, just to get the smelly things out of the store.

My DD has stinky feet on a good day, so I thought it was just her.  I've never had a problem with my Klingbeils, but I noticed that my Jacksons are stinky, so it must be the lining materials contributing to the problem.

These help keep the stench at bay:

. Use a sock filled silica and activated carbon between sessions.
. Leave the bag open to air out the insides.
. Pull the insoles out and letting the insoles air out in the sun.
. Loosen the laces and put the skates in the sun for a little while;
  (Too much sun can discolor the white leather upper)
. Stuff the skates with crumpled newspaper and change as it gets damp.
(My usual solution to wet shoes/sneakers/boots.  Worked fine.)

The athletic shoe deodorizers or even Lysol help, but don't last long.  The best effect is to put the skate inside a plastic bag, spray the insides, then close the bag for a few minutes.  It concentrates the spray.  You have to open it eventually to let the fumes and dampness evaporate - best done outside anyway.

My cousin suggested putting aerosol anti-perspirant on her feet before lacing up, to prevent perspiration in the first place.  Haven't tried it yet, but it seems sensible.

As for getting rid of the black discoloration inside, I couldn't find a good solution.  I tried all of these, to no avail:

. Bass Shoe Suede/Nubuck cleaner
. Automotive leather cleaner
. Foamy Woolite
. Foamy Dawn dishwashing detergent

Each one turned the rag a little grey, but the lining was still black.

I tried the baking soda as suggested.  It didn't remove the black at all, although the skates smelled better afterwards.  I rubbed it in with a suede brush and some of the grime came off, but not much.  I used a can of compressed air to make sure I got all of the soda out because it is a mild abrasive.  (Also great for cleaning the outside along with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!)

My other DD just got new skates, so I'm going to spray them with Scotchguard to see if keeping some of the moisture out of the linings will help.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 12:13:26 PM »
Mine aren't turning black (though maybe it is because they are only a year old and haven't gotten there)... they have a dark brown layer of gunk that is pretty much exactly where my foot hits the skate.  It HAS to be dead skin, because when I take off my skates, my feet always look like they are in the process of exfoliating- like I can sweat soaked skin off of them.  It is seriously gross.

My sneakers in college that I wore barefoot were just as gross (but I could throw them in the washing machine) so I don't think this is unique to Jackson.  Interesting the other brands aren't as bad. 

Thanks for the de-stink tips.  Sucks that it sounds like there is no way to actually clean them.  I'm really more concerned about whatever is growing in there than the smell (which is the result of the growing gunk...)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 12:34:41 PM »
Used dryer sheets from laundry allegedly also work well.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 01:24:29 PM »
Used drying sheets from laundry allegedly also work well.

I stick dryer sheets in them before I hand them off to the sharpener.  I feel badly she has to go near my skates...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »
I stick dryer sheets in them before I hand them off to the sharpener.  I feel badly she has to go near my skates...

What about using them regularly?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
It doesn't do anything about the actual problem (bacteria growing in skates) it just provides a stronger smell to mask the odor.  So then I have a "my bag smells like dryers sheets- help!" problem.

I may try some of the odor neutralizing things, even though they also don't solve the problem.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »
Haha- has anyone seen this?
http://www.sterishoe.com/SFNT.html

Of course a) I'm not sure it would bend to go into boots, b) the light is only at the front of the shoe, and the middle is my biggest problem area, and c)would we be creating a race of super resistant bacteria and fungus ready to eat off our feet?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »
I wonder if a steamer would help?  It would kill bacteria and loosen the debris without adding too much moisture to the mix.

You could just brush the insides once it dried.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 06:28:01 PM »
I don't have this problem because I don't skate barefoot--I use nylon knee highs.
The Big Guy's feet sweated so bad that sweat would pour out of his boots at the end of a couple of hours skating. But because he wore socks the boots never discolored. Of course, he went through two pairs a year.

However, take out your insoles after you skate and get them nice and dry. If necessary, replace them. The soles of your feet are the sweaty part. You can also try a boot dryer, although when I'm skating 5 hours a day I just stick them in front of a mini fan and fold the tongue out so the air gets in there.

You might also try moisturizing your feet before you skate. Moisturizer works by keeping the water from evaporating from your skin.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
This doesn't answer your question. But:

Your feet shouldn't rub against the skate below the ankle. Something doesn't fit right.

If the rub is along the whole top sides of the boot, where your ankles slide forward because you prefer a boot fit that lets you slide them (instead of bending the boot) to accommodate bending your ankle, you could use gel inserts (like Silipose pads) so your skin doesn't rub.

Nor should there be a single point where your feet hit your boot. Again, misfit.

---

Leather is just preserved (poisoned) and oiled animal skin, usually cowhide. Cleaning it isn't black magic, and doesn't require special leather-specific chemicals. A damp cloth, maybe with baking soda, should work fine, as long as you let the boots dry well afterwards. But avoid soap and other detergents if you can - it might break up the oil droplets that lubricate the leather, and the leather could crack.

I'm not sure if this will help, but if you have a lot of sweat, it's possible you need to renew the oil a little. If the insides aren't suede, you could occasionally oil the leather on the inside, using Neat's foot oil (use Lexol brand leather conditioner instead if discoloring the leather bothers you). Suede needs different cleaners, because ordinary oil destroys the nap.

Some people who's feet sweat a lot say it helps to use antiperspirants on their feet. I can't speak from personal experience.

If you think the leather could be rotting or molding, let them dry out better after you skate, and store them in drier conditions.

Insoles are easily replaced, if that is where the problem is. Buy cheap insoles at a dollar store, trace the originals (which you keep for future reference) on them, cut them to shape, and add tape or adhesive foam underneath to shape them vertically to fit your feet. That's $1 or $2, so it's no big deal.

I've used Febreeze [sp?] and similar products for odor. Again, leather isn't black magic that requires special chemicals.

Needless to say, if you skate without socks, socks would help. But that's your choice.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »
How would shoes work if your feet don't touch below the ankle.  They would flop around like clown shoes. My foot does not move in the boot, nor are they too tight. They are properly fitted.They don't rub causing friction or blisters, but the sides of my feet touch the sides of the boot, and sweat/dead skin gathers. The leather is not rotting.

Agnes- I clean the insoles regularly.

I've tried wearing socks, and tights and both make my feet fall asleep too quickly. It is not an option. I do wear silipos on my ankles. The problem is near my instep.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »
This doesn't answer your question. But:

Your feet shouldn't rub against the skate below the ankle. Something doesn't fit right.

If the rub is along the whole top sides of the boot, where your ankles slide forward because you prefer a boot fit that lets you slide them (instead of bending the boot) to accommodate bending your ankle, you could use gel inserts (like Silipose pads) so your skin doesn't rub.

Nor should there be a single point where your feet hit your boot. Again, misfit.

"nor should there be a single point where your feet hit your boot"

Okay, what in the world are you trying to say here?  It sounds like you are implying that you need to move freely within the boot, which is definitely NOT good advice - heel slippage is not a good thing for skaters.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 08:07:52 AM »
I only meant there should be more than "a point" where your feet hit the boot. I think your feet should touch pretty much all over.

Sorry for the ambiguity.

Though the idea of only touching on top does bring up some comical mental images.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »
I have jacksons too and I always wear socks, and they are all discolored  on the inside.  They also really really stink. I think it might have to do with the synthetics materials.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
It's the microfiber lining.. it just attracts all kind of icky stuff like velcro.  It's ultimately why I decided to replace my boots this summer... after two+ years they're just gross.