You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Source for 100% cotton laces?  (Read 11260 times)

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
Re: Source for 100% cotton laces?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 09:48:30 AM »
Additionally, I do a preliminary lace up and then walk around in the lobby and do some squats.  Then I untie the laces and retie the boots a second time.  I always have more lace at the top of the boots the second time around.  Enough to permit me to tie a double bow knot, which I can rarely do the during the first lacing attempt.  If I do the walk around thing and retie the boots before going out on the ice I find that I can go much longer before I have to retie my boots later in the session--sometimes to the end of a two hour public.
I do the same thing. Cuts back on having to get off the ice.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
I always have to retie after I've skated for a few minutes - I think the "memory foam" that skate makers use compresses more fully when it's warm.  If I put the skates on when they're warm from being in the car, I don't often have to retie my skates, but if they're room temperature, I'll skate and then retie.  It is a cold-weather sport...*shrugs*...but I'll try the walk-about first and see if that helps. Great tip, thanks!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »
I've been putting this little hand warmers in my skate's toes before leaving for the rink. It does help, and helps even more if I also put ice on my feet before putting my skates on, after taking out the warmers. My skates are so tight I have to do it.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »
Hi everyone- what's the update on this?  I just got new skates and I hate the nylon/polyester laces.  My hands are all ripped up just from trying them all on.  No one seems to have 100% cotton laces.  I can and will pull them off my old boots, but would love a source for spares.....

In addition to not ripping up my fingers, I never had problems with my skates loosening when I had the cotton laces...but will admit this was also the days before all the padding inside the skates.  Dunno how it will change.

Offline xoxo_tw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »
I dont know if you solved your problem, but I got around 200 laces in different colors and material,  I bought them from a factory in china, for like 10 cent / pair,   Drop me a PM with your address  and Ill can send you some to try out if you like...

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »
Loops - I find the ones that are "cotton blend" don't cut your fingers and stay tight-ish.

Nothing beats those all-cotton laces though!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 11:53:20 PM »
I got Rainbo to special order some black men's laces from Jackson for me.  They are doing much better at staying in place and being comfortable than the Braidlace laces and they last longer.  I got 3 pairs shipped to me for $20, which is expensive compared to Braidlace but I think worthwhile.  Rainbo mentioned they had to buy a lot of them from Jackson, so if other people need some long black laces you can try calling and asking to get some.  They are not on the Rainbo website.

Rainbo agreed that it is not possible to get all-cotton any more.

Offline Loops

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »
I'm bumping up this old thread, because I found a source of cotton laces.  I don't think they're 100% cotton, but they were exactly the laces I was looking for.  These are the ones I used back in the day, they hold tight, don't slip and are gentler on the hands.  They're made  by Riedell, and below's the search image:

I can tell you where to get them in the MD/DC/VA area, but outside of that I can't help.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »
These Reidell laces were always the ones that were the 100% cotton - as much as was possible  - loved them for their non-slip quality.  Good find.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »
The pro shop at our rink sells those Riedell laces, and they don't sell a lot of figure skating stuff, so they can't be that hard to find. I just bought them to replace one of my girls' laces after they split, and they're so much nicer than what she had before.

But the laces that came with my other daughter's Jackson Mystiques seem to be all cotton, too, and I like them better than the Riedell. They're a little bit wider and feel really secure and easy on my hands.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
I'm going back to Skater's Paradise in a couple weeks.  I'll see if they stock these laces.

Offline Loops

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 12:29:40 AM »
I can only get risport laces on this side of the pond, so I got several pair of the riedells. I think I even did the happy dance when my skate tech pulled those out. I really do not like the risport laces.....

Lutefisk- my magic 8-ball says success "is certain" at SP.  ;)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 08:40:09 AM »
I can only get risport laces on this side of the pond, so I got several pair of the riedells. I think I even did the happy dance when my skate tech pulled those out. I really do not like the risport laces.....

Lutefisk- my magic 8-ball says success "is certain" at SP.  ;)

Loops: can't argue with an oracle as powerful as the magic 8-ball!  Please ask it if I'll find 120" Riedells in always fashionable black!

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
100% cotton, waxed, 5mm width:

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Flat-Shoe-Laces-Black/dp/B007BCUGM2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1414773149&sr=8-13&keywords=black+cotton+laces

8mm width, perhaps a bit much for skates:

http://www.amazon.com/Flat-Waxed-8mm-180cm-Black/dp/B00DQUOHXW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414773236&sr=8-2&keywords=black+cotton+boot+laces+flat

I also prefer 100% cotton.  I haven't tried waxed versions though.

Type of boot will change a lot too due to design and lace hooks used  Klingbeils pretty much stay put, but the lace hooks on Grafs are basically just a bent over piece of metal and won't keep a lace in place very well, and they bend sometimes too (!).