You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Music with words and costumes with mesh  (Read 6486 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Re: Music with words and costumes with mesh
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 08:22:04 AM »
I was just thinking that the costume just screamed Russian ice dancer!  ;D  Maybe cutting back the poof on the shoulder might help too?  It's a bit overwhelming in proportion to her size.

Figure skating is so tricky - what is acceptable and encouraged in one region can differ from another, whether it be costume style, lyrics/no lyrics, stage make-up and glitter, neat and tidy, etc.  Coaches should have a good feel for the judging community in their region, going all the way up to national/international level if they have skaters at that level.  When my daughter skated at the national level in synchro, the coach got as much input as possible from as many judges as possible.  USFS got pretty involved too, offering critiques on tech stuff, etc. 

We actually did cut down on the shoulder poof since then too... and we tacked down some of them so they don't fly around.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 08:23:39 AM »
I never knew there could be a costume violation. Wow.

I like her costume. ;)

Oh and I can see why the judges might think it was inappropriate for a young girl. Glad you found something to cover it.

Thankfully one of the other moms was very versed in dance wear, and found something that didn't mess up the line of the back opening AND gave some cover-- her coach was glad to find out some judges wouldn't like it before regionals (which for us is in only 2 weeks!)

Offline twirly~girls~mom

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 12:53:32 PM »
I would not go with lyrics...I think I know the juv skater who skates to Lion King and is VERY good.  So it can be done and doesn't seem to deter the skater from doing well, if the skater is a strong skater on her own merit. She skated to the same music last year at Liberty. If she's the one I'm thinking of, she has a sister who also skated to music with lyrics last year, and is also an amazing skater.  Personally, I find it too show skater-ish and a little distracting. If you want to though, there is nothing saying you can't or that you can't do well competitively if you do.