You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New Skate fitting in 3 days - Excited and CONFUSED re fitter, blades and boots!  (Read 3538 times)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
So I have my fitting with Jim at the Ice House in NJ in 3 days.  I'm currently using very old but in very good shape but don't fit quite right Riedell Royals.  (A bit tight in the toes and ball sides but heel moves.)

First, today my coach (who's a high level coach) said he recommended Dan in Syossett, Long island (NY) - anyone know this person?  I thought it'd be easy to find but not.  Will text coach tomorrow.  Just trying to research as there's little time left before my appointment.
Coach recommends I stay with Riedell and recommends the Gold Stars.  He definitely repeated he thought I should not get Jacksons.  (Higher heel.)

Second, we discussed blades and while he thought I could stay with Coronation Ace, he thought I'd due better with Coronation Comets within a year and said I could go with those now.  Anyone use these?  Thoughts?

I'm so focused on getting this right the first time.  I've not heard of any issues or complaints with the skates people end up with from Jim at the Ice House.

What do you all do?  Go with coach recommendations or more the fitter?  Maybe they'll recommend the same thing and I won't have any question!  Jim is very well known and like I said, I don't know of anyone being unhappy with the skates they got from him, but my insight is probably pretty limited beyond my general research and this forum.

How do you decide?  Do you have a check list?  Listen to the fitter above all?  Coach?  Tips on how to make the final decision?  Thanks!

Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
I don't know these fitters or your coach, but I have one thought: Fitters fit hundreds of skaters a year. Your coach probably has never fit anyone, and has boot predjudices based on his personal boot experiences. Stiffness and blades your coach knows about you, but for boots the fitter has the most experience.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Good point!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
LI is my neck of the woods but I haven't heard of Dan in Syosset. The islanders Iceworks facility is there, and I suppose maybe he's someone at their pro shop. But they run the pro shop at my rink and, well, it's not where you'd go for an expert fitting. It could be another ball game over there but it doesn't seem like it would be.

The only other thought I have is did he mean Dante Cozzi, who isn't that far away in Bethpage. I don't know about him as a fitter, but he seems to be the coaches' pick for sharpening around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Thank you!  Definitely not Dante.  I thought the same thing!  Iceworks said they don't know of a Dan either and he is not there.  That seems the only place in Syosset.

What rink do you/your kids?? go to?  I skated at Twin Rinks as a kid.  I hear there's a new one, I'd love to check out sometime.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
I would ask your coach why he thinks these things.  Is this because he skates in Reidell? Does he skate on Comets?

Some of the skaters I have known over the years LOVED their Comets because with the 8 foot rocker you have great flow.  BUT some people have trouble spinning in them.

The Coronation Ace is just such a great overall blade - so you may ask he or she why not this blade for you??

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
I don't know what he skates in but In know he has Jackson and Riedell boots in his locker.  I've tried them both on because his foot is not a whole lot bigger than mine.

He said the Jackson's have a higher heal and will throw me off.  Others here have said they never had that issue when switching.

As for the blades I don't know.  I have Coronation Aces now and he did say they'd be good for me for another year, then I'd want to move over to Comets but I really don't know why.

My spins stink - I don't need anything else hindering them!  LOL  I only do 2 foot now.

I have a lesson Wednesday so I'll ask about these things again.  Thanks!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
Thank you!  Definitely not Dante.  I thought the same thing!  Iceworks said they don't know of a Dan either and he is not there.  That seems the only place in Syosset.

What rink do you/your kids?? go to?  I skated at Twin Rinks as a kid.  I hear there's a new one, I'd love to check out sometime.

You'll have to post when you solve the mystery, whether you go see him or not!

We skate at Dix Hills. I've read a bunch about the new Twin Rinks, too. It's even owned (maybe part-owned?) by the Ferraro twins, so with that and the two sheets, it seems they came by the name honestly. One of these days I want to check it out, too.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
I will post when I figure it out.

The old rink was great, don't know about the new one.  Ferraro twins?  Any relation to Geraldine?  (as in V.P. USA candidate)  Her nephew was my roommate years ago.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
I don't know the people that you mention here so can't help there, however the main argument for Reidell instead of Jackson appears to hinge on the different heel height. Is the difference really that significant? I do know that Reidell and Jackson have quite different fits - doesn't the fit of the actual boot have a greater impact than the height of the heel? IMO even if the heel height is different it is something you will probably adapt to, easier than a boot that doesn't fit.
I'd go with to the fitter of your choice, with a totally open mind regarding brands, who has a wide selection of boots for you to try and buy the ones which fit best.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails

I will post when I figure it out.

The old rink was great, don't know about the new one.  Ferraro twins?  Any relation to Geraldine?  (as in V.P. USA candidate)  Her nephew was my roommate years ago.

Actually I don't know if they're related to Geri Ferraro! They're identical twins from LI who both played in the NHL. I always thought that was really cool, even before having my own twins. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
Many coaches are a great asset when it comes to equipment. They can let you know when it's time to change boots, or when your blades have no rocker left, or need to be sharpened, etc. They may even have an opinion on what you might want to look into (such as what level of blade or stiffness of boot, etc.) Others have no idea about equipment whatsoever and won't even offer advice.

With all of that said, most coaches aren't trained in actually fitting boots. They don't know what brand will fit what foot the best, nor do they know the shape/oddities/tracing of your own foot to the point they would be able to recommend one brand over the other.

Regarding the heel height, yes, there is a difference between Jackson and Reidell. There is also a difference between Harlick and Edea (according to one of my friends who had both). While it might throw off some things at first, it's something that you can get used to in time. New boots are going to throw things off a bit, anyway. Who knows, my friend could all of a sudden do moves she had been struggling with once she got the new boots, but had to work to get her backspin (one of her best elements) back until she got used to them.

Regarding the blades, again, while coaches definitely have some knowledge of blades and what is okay for each level, there may be a reason a trained fitter might like one blade over another, especially with a certain boot or certain skater. I'm actually not sure that Comets really are a direct progression from Aces - honestly, I've seen more people go from Aces to Visions than Aces to Comets. And many of the people I know that had Comets hated them due to the flatter, 8 foot rocker and different spin profile. Like someone else said, they were okay for most things, but spins were an issue. Generally those that didn't like them either went back to Aces or up to Visions. Just something to think about as these tend to be personal preferences and decisions.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Great insight, thank you.  I think, in waiting almost a month for my fitting appointment, I just have too much time to THINK about it!  Okay, 2 days left!

I am hoping the new skates really help some of the things I am struggling with.  With my current boots, if I tie them tight (and reduce the foot movement in the boots) they ache so much I end up having to loosen them.  I did this yesterday and my coach could actually see my foot move in the boots on my backward inside edges!  They weren't even that loose, but my heel does move for sure.

I am somewhat "drawn" to Harlicks, having heard such good things about them.

So bottom line, if you see an experienced Fitter, you go with what they tell you right?!  I am quite sure I'll need a split width so it's not like I can exchange them.

Okay, counting down - 2 days!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
Great insight, thank you.  I think, in waiting almost a month for my fitting appointment, I just have too much time to THINK about it!  Okay, 2 days left!

I am hoping the new skates really help some of the things I am struggling with.  With my current boots, if I tie them tight (and reduce the foot movement in the boots) they ache so much I end up having to loosen them.  I did this yesterday and my coach could actually see my foot move in the boots on my backward inside edges!  They weren't even that loose, but my heel does move for sure.

I am somewhat "drawn" to Harlicks, having heard such good things about them.

So bottom line, if you see an experienced Fitter, you go with what they tell you right?!  I am quite sure I'll need a split width so it's not like I can exchange them.

Okay, counting down - 2 days!

Have you tried a gel tube over the heel to reduce the heel movement? I've lost track.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Yes, I tried it yesterday.  It didn't work for me. :'(

Coach said I could send the old boots off to Harlick to rebuild and use as backups?  They are Riedells.  Going to inquire anyway.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Okay, focusing forward - new mantra:

Excited to get my new skates that are comfortable, fit perfectly, are beautiful and take my skating to the next level!

:WS: :love: 8)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
Yes, I tried it yesterday.  It didn't work for me. :'(

Coach said I could send the old boots off to Harlick to rebuild and use as backups?  They are Riedells.  Going to inquire anyway.

Maybe send them back to Reidells rather than Harlicks?
Ask about the cost first. I wanted to replace the tongues on my old boots for backups, and he said that might cost more than the boots.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Wow!  Yeah I just spoke to them (Riedell) but the guy who handles that was out.  They said they can do it but I don't know how much.  I'll address that after I get new skates.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
Had to bump this after asking my girls' coach about a fitter for me. His first recommendation was Dante Cozzi, which was my guess. Then he also said some people like Tim in Syosset, and that they're both good but he doesn't like Tim personally as much as Dante. I wonder if Tim is the elusive "Dan" your coach mentioned? I was over at Iceworks in Syosset a few weeks ago and discovered they do have a smaller pro shop there just for figure skating stuff.

I'm going to go to Dante. I already bring our skates there for sharpening, and both places are about equidistant from my house.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Oh maybe, I'll ask him.  Let me know how it goes with Dante!