You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skates for Wide Width and Square Toe Box  (Read 5861 times)

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
Skates for Wide Width and Square Toe Box
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:44:31 PM »
I've recently realized that my skates do not fit my feet. They are not wide enough in the toe box and my toes are taking a beating. Toes are very squished. My current skate is a Jackson Premiere men's 7W, which is equivalent to a women's 8.5D, according to a local fitter. The fitter says I should go to a 8EE women's. But I have a very square tox box, so I will need the toe box customized in addition to width customization.

I have enjoyed my Jackson's very much except for this recent problem of squished toes. I have had them for 3-4 years so it is time.

I am wondering about the fit on other skates, specifically Edeas. Do other manufacturers have squarer toe boxes? Are other manufacters known for wide widths?

Also, the fitter recommended going up to the Elite over the Premiere. I'm a large women working on pre-bronze MIF hoping to do ice dance. Had hardly no breakin with the Premiers. Felt nice and sturdy.
Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
Re: Skates for Wide Width and Square Toe Box
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »
I went from a Jackson Premiere 7.5C to an Edea Chorus 255C.  I would say that for me the Edea "C" had a slightly narrower toe box than a Jackson "C" and it had to be stretched out a bit with a heat gun to make it fit.  I have slightly wide balls of feet/toes but they were perfect in Jacksons right out of the box.  Edea website says their skates come in D and E as well, but perhaps special order.  There does not appear to be a "EE." 

Offline emitche

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:17:44 PM »
Thanks. That helps.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:17:34 PM »
My daughter had special order Jackson Premieres with an EE ball and an A heel, she had room for her toes and she is square as well. They fit well, but she didn't like the stiffness of the boot or how inflexible and heavy they felt. If you already know you like that boot, then going with the same thing only wider is probably a pretty safe bet.

My daughter wears Edea and likes them much better, but we do have to regularly stretch the toes to stay comfortable. The Edea is better for her skating, she likes the higher heel, low cut back, lightness, and how flexible they are but it was an adjustment at first.

Offline emitche

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:27:11 PM »
Thanks so much. This is really helpful. I probably will not go the Edea route given the toe width. A heavy skate is fine with me as I am a heavier skater. It looks like only Jackson and Harlick accommodate wider feet, so I will likely go with one of those. Thanks so much.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 11:17:26 PM »
Harlick X-line.  Or better yet custom Harlicks!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 01:29:00 AM »
Stay away from Riedell -- that's what my fitter told me. I have a wide toebox, but I might need semi-customs for my next pair. Currently wearing Jacksons.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 01:54:45 PM »
Harlick X-line.  Or better yet custom Harlicks!

I haven't been as happy in my custom Harlicks as I had been in my last two pairs of split width Jacksons.. the toe box is wide enough, and it does match the shape of my feet, but it simply isn't "tall" enough and I've had them punched repeatedly and seem to have to repeat that process every 2-3 months or I get super painful pressure on my toe joints.

It's time for new boots and I'm currently debating if I should get another pair of Harlicks or go back to Jackson and get customs through them.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »
My daughter had special order Jackson Premieres with an EE ball and an A heel, she had room for her toes and she is square as well. They fit well, but she didn't like the stiffness of the boot or how inflexible and heavy they felt. If you already know you like that boot, then going with the same thing only wider is probably a pretty safe bet.

I also ordered split-last Jackson Premiers. They were only one step up from the Competitors I was in, so it wasn't that big of a difference. It was the best purchase I've made for skating. According to the fitter. I should have a forefoot sized to 6EEE to go with my 7B heel. I ended up in a 7B heel, 7C arch, 6EE forefoot. Luckily, going down a half size, I was able to keep my own blades.

Emitche, go for it. Since the most important (and only) piece of equipment is your boots, they must fit right. Mine were the wrong size for 10+ years and I'm still trying to fix all the bad habits I learned to compensate for too long boots. It's a one-modification charge--it was $80 two years ago.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline emitche

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 09:42:44 PM »
I decided to go ahead and order the custom Jackson Elites. I hope they fit well and last many years. Thank you to each of you.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »
Hope they work out well for you!  SP Teri also has a roomy (wider) toebox, which is why they fit my feet so well.  Jacksons are a little lighter and cheaper, though.