You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: In which country/city does everyone skate?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
In which country/city does everyone skate?
« on: March 25, 2017, 06:19:28 AM »
Or at least, where does the vast majority know how to skate? Canada is on the top of my list, being a hockey country -- any comments? Other answers?

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
Re: In which country/city does everyone skate?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »
My guess is skating would be pretty ubiquitous in the Nordic countries and perhaps Estonia.

Offline tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
How about speed skating in the Netherlands?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »
Minnesota.

A long time ago Minnesota had a program to build a rink in every city (don't know the minimum minimum size) in Minnesota.

I have a book on the history of figure skating in Minnesota, and it's fascinating. All the US ice shows trace their origins there.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 09:03:59 PM »
Knowing how (to skate) is a relative thing. Some Canadian and Russian skaters are among the best in the world. But some of them aren't. What I see when they come here is that most of them have skated often before, but many haven't taken any lessons. Those are reasonably fast and comfortable on the ice, but they might not have good edges, go backwards, or be able to do crossovers and turns, etc. The same is true of some of the Russians that come here, even those that lived in the colder parts of Russia.

It's like walking or running. Most of us have walked and run for many years, and are reasonably comfortable doing it, but most of us don't use good efficient technique, or know what good technique is.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »
Anecdotal information to add on:

I'm from NJ and now I live is SC. The rink is where I find a lot of transplants. We have some native to SC but a lot of others or their parents came from other places where there were more skating opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
I agree with Query that it seems in Canada everyone skates but they are not "figure skaters" necessarily but they seem to have more comfort on the ice than general recreational skaters - at least in my area.

When I lived in Boston it seemed like there were at least 40 rinks in the area - here in a moderate-sized city of Portland, OR there are 4 rinks and one is very small oval mall rink (which used to be bigger and not oval but still not full NHL-size).

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 10:47:55 PM »
Of course we don't expect everyone to do triple jumps, but just going around the rink takes practice and a little bit of talent. I was wondering where you can randomly pick out someone and ask him or her to skate, and he or she wouldn't fall on the ice.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »
I would say that in Canada it's probably 60/40.  Like if you were to randomly ask people if they could skate - meaning can put on skates and skate around the ice.  The number would be higher if you asked who'd ever skated and could get on the ice and shuffle around.

The amount of times I've suggested skating for a date and been told 'I can't skate' is staggering  :-\