You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: "good girl"  (Read 6976 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
"good girl"
« on: June 13, 2022, 08:50:16 PM »
My coach calls her adult students "good girl" after they do something right. I understand this is a habit from teaching young girls, but it sounds so weird to my ears. I'm not around a lot of parents, but I've met a number of dog owners, and this is also something I hear when their dogs do something right, haha. I don't think it's worth complaining about, but I was curious if any other adult skaters have coaches that do this as well.

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
Re: "good girl"
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 12:16:07 AM »
Yes!  My coach also does this.  I think it's just a habit from coaching kids and I've gotten used to it but it was very funny at first, particularly because my coach is the same age as my adult daughter.  I get it because when you are coaching, your focus needs to be on what you see and how to get the skater to adjust their movement pattern, and your brain is pretty busy.  In a way, I think of it as a form of acceptance of the adult student as a skater rather than as an old person who isn't really expected to train effectively.  But it is definitely funny!

When she coaches me with my dance partner, she calls us "team" when she means both of us and calls it individually when something is directed at only one of us.  So "nice, team!" means we did something well together.  "Okay, team..." means we are going to hear why what we just did needs some work, haha. 

No complaints on my end. She is a really good coach and I love working with her. 

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 213
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 08:52:33 PM »
It's only happened a handful of times (all the coaches are accustomed to Adult skaters and I've taught LTS alongside them), but it's generally been in a group class setting when I'm the only adult. They sometimes forget I'm not a tall kid. :laugh:

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 07:52:59 PM »
I can think of a lot worse things some coaches say. I doubt very much your coach is trying to offend you. That's bad for business, and no sane coach wants to do that.

For me, if you are an older adult, being called something that makes you sound young isn't all bad.

But it's OK to give your coach gentle feedback. So, if being called a "good girl" makes you unhappy, tell her so. E.g., tell them you prefer "good job", or whatever you prefer. Maybe the coach can adapt, though everyone develops certain speaking habits.

You could gently tease her a bit. Tell her it makes you think you are a super-enthusiastic puppy, and act like one.  And start wearing a hat with puppy ears attached. I bet it doesn't take her long to remember your personal preferences. :love:

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 01:50:16 PM »
@Query, it's not really a big problem. I just thought it was kinda weird and was wondering if other people had the same experience!