You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Standard track vs Adult track  (Read 1230 times)

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Standard track vs Adult track
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »
I was recently able to watch the dance portion of a test session and see some of the score sheets after the test was over. As I recall there were three tracks on the score sheet. Each track had its own passing score with Standard track having the highest score required to pass the test. My question is, what is the difference that the judges are looking for between a person testing the standard track vs the adult track?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Standard track vs Adult track
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
Predominantly the difference has to do with speed and power - adults, and older adults (masters are 50+) are judged to a slightly lower standard than a younger skater would be, because we generally just don't skate as fast, or on edges that are as deep.  However, it's been reported fairly often that a lot of judges seem to have an idea of what a test should look like, and will judge the same regardless of age.

That said, it is your OPTION on the dance tests (and MITF above Intermediate) to choose to test as an adult or master, or to take the standard test - for some people it's a bit of a pride thing to pass a "standard" test, rather than opting for the "adult" option.   

As an adult, if you choose to test standard track MITF and Freeskate, there is no difference in scoring through Juvenile - because we have our own track with a lower passing standard.

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Standard track vs Adult track
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »
Thank you!