You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Has anyone skated the Rideau Canal?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Has anyone skated the Rideau Canal?
« on: January 15, 2015, 10:46:53 PM »
Since returning to skating I've wanted to skate the Rideau Canal but was recently reading that they suggest using skates without toe picks because the ice isn't that smooth. I just wondered if anyone had skated on the canal, and if so, if it is possible to use figure skates or I need to give hockey skates a try?

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: Has anyone skated the Rideau Canal?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16:25 AM »
I haven't skated the Rideau but I have skated the giant set of river tails in Winnipeg which I would imagine is very similar.  The trails can get pretty rough.  I don't think the toe picks would be a huge deal but I would say that if you have a pair of older skates, I'd use those so you don't ruin a good pair of blades.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 07:36:53 AM »
Just a thought - if you have an old pair of blades, you could grind off the toe picks for long outdoor excursions like this, and keep the feel of the figure skating blades.
Bill Schneider

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 09:09:07 AM »
Just a thought - if you have an old pair of blades, you could grind off the toe picks for long outdoor excursions like this, and keep the feel of the figure skating blades.

BONUS: Not having toe picks cures the toe-pushing syndrome, lol.  (I almost face-planted the first time I used my patch blades, which have no lower toepick.)
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline learning_as_i_go

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »
Everyone I know just uses whichever skates they are comfortable with - usually an old pair though if they are currently competing but if not just get them sharpened afterwards.  The ice is a lot smoother than it used to be as they have this huge zamboni type machine.  If you really want smooth ice though there is a nice rink outside city hall and another at Landsdowne Park.  The one at city hall has really nice lighting at  night too.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »

The local pro shop did that to my previous skates  >:( - that's why I know drive several hours to get my blades sharpened! Unfortunately I don't have those skates any more, nor any old blades so may just hire some if we visit.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 11:19:53 PM »
I skated there once.  It was nice.  But that was before I knew how to skate.  I remember there was a giant crack.