You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: GOE scoring  (Read 8178 times)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: GOE scoring
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 08:38:42 PM »
Agreed.. I think the mandatory deduction for a fall should be a percentage of the base value of the jump, rather than a fixed value.  Losing something like 25% of the base value of a jump for a fall would eliminate the "lose more value than the jump was worth" paradox at lower levels, while increasing risk fairly at higher levels - because 1 point isn't much on a jump with a base value of 10+ points, but it certainly is for a jump that is worth less than a point (which would be all single jumps, and a single axel is only 1.1).  If you went into a quad knowing you could lose 2.5 points for a fall, you'd want to know you'll hit that jump before throwing it in your program... but as it is now, skaters put quads in when they know they can't land them because even with a fall, if it's rotated, it's still worth more than a triple.

THIS is what I want to see. You're just better at saying it, thankyou :)
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 12:17:50 AM »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the GOE system.  I presume its still evolving?  I've not competed solo under GOE yet, but I can imagine the scores must be demoralizing at the lower levels.  Since by and large that's going to be kids, seems like even just for the psychological factor there'd be an argument for percentage based rather than flat rate deductions.

You'd be surprised Loops. We compete all levels from beginners upwards on IJS. I've yet to see a -ve score although I've seen some very low numbers. I was on 8 something for my first competition. Double digits was a big deal. But the big change is that everyone starts with sit spins and camel spins which fit the text book definition. Similarly with jumps. As an adult, you can spot the returning ones who skated under the old system as kids. While they can generally skate better than me and have harder jumps, their sit spins don't get low enough, even if they look fabulous.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 02:13:56 PM »
Yep, there is an enormous amount of pride relating to having an "IJS sit spin" and a fully rotated axel (axels are commonly downgraded, making them effectively worth "nothing" since a waltz jump has no base value) on your score sheets :)

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »
This argument sounds very sane and reasonable.  What is the reason this method is not in place?  Why just the fixed point off and not a percentage? 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the GOE system.  I presume its still evolving?  I've not competed solo under GOE yet, but I can imagine the scores must be demoralizing at the lower levels.  Since by and large that's going to be kids, seems like even just for the psychological factor there'd be an argument for percentage based rather than flat rate deductions.

I think the reason it's an automatic 1 point deduction is because sometimes skaters fall while skating between elements, where there's no element to deduct GOE from.  I would personally appreciate it if a fall on a jump just reduced the jump's value by a percentage (which is already happening through -GOE) and did not also get -1 for the fall.  I don't like the double penalty and it hurts way too much when the jump has a low base value to begin with.