You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is there a Minimum Time Limit for Adults?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
Is there a Minimum Time Limit for Adults?
« on: April 18, 2015, 06:39:41 PM »
Hi everybody!  :)  Just wondering....For adults, is there a penalty for skating under the maximum time for your event? For example, if you were skating Gold Level and the music you liked was only 2:25,  but the max time is 2:40 would you be penalized/disqualified for skating under time?  ???

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Is there a Minimum Time Limit for Adults?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »
I'm assuming you're talking about the US?  You want Rule 4051, which says that adult events may not exceed the maximum time allowed, but may be less provided the technical elements are included.  For free skates Preliminary and higher, programs must be within 10 seconds +/- of the required time.  Most people try to be pretty close to the maximum available time, though, because they can fit more into the program that way.  You could try either cutting another piece of music together with the one you like, or look for a section of the music that could be repeated.  It is also sometimes possible to slow the music down slightly and stretch it that way. That likely wouldn't work for your example, though - if you stretched the music another 15 seconds longer it would probably be too slow to sound good.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 10:20:35 PM »
It is also sometimes possible to slow the music down slightly and stretch it that way.

You also want to make sure you have good quality software to do this.  Otherwise it'll sound like poop.  Even with good software, anything other than a slight change can sound laggy and choppy.  Think of watching a video stream on the internet and it doesn't look 'smooth' because the streaming is bad or slow or whatever.  That's what stretched music can sound like. 

If you have something you like and it's short, you can look for something complimentary to add (I look at the rest of the soundtrack/CD/whatever), or even a different version of the same piece.

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 05:44:11 AM »
I thought it was different for the adult events (no minimum), especially at the higher levels due to decreased cardio for some adults, but I wasn't sure. (I couldn't find Rule 4051.) Thanks, Clarice.  :)

Thanks, Amy. :) Yes, I like the idea of finding a piece of music to add, (like a short intro). I will look into this....

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »
I think you're right.  For testing, the min/max applies, but in competitions, I've only ever worried about going over but of course I can't find the rules now.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:10:37 PM »
For the adult tests or competitions, NO minimum