You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot fit giving me fits! - fsf  (Read 5804 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Boot fit giving me fits! - fsf
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:40:15 PM »
Cactus Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: Boot fit giving me fits!
Posted: 06-04-2005, 10:09 AM

I'm just getting back into skating again and have noticed a problem with how the fit on my boots is affecting my skating. My left foot is slightly larger and bigger (around) than my right foot, and my off-the-shelf Reidells were sized to the larger foot. I have a relatively narrow foot (and being a guy kind of guy, I have trouble finding shoes that fit...unless I go to the part of the store that sells the pink pumps with the pointy toes and 4 inch heels...but I'm not that kind of guy!). Anyways I've noticed that my feet do move a bit in the boot (of course it's worse for the right foot than for the left) and one-foot glides are easier on my left foot than on my right. Skating backwards is a real challenge...I tend to go up on my toes/ball of the foot (you guessed it...I've got a narrow heel as well).

When I take a class lesson at the rink my feet really scream. This may well be because it takes a while for me on the ice before they get used to being on the ice, but due to the fact that there are several classes going on before mine meets, I can't warm up before the class meets. So I think that private lessons during the Coffee Club session here would work better.

I already have done the solution for this. I've ordered a pair of custom Harlicks (and my wallet is still screaming, but hopefully my feet won't...at least once they are broken in!) so I think that this would allow me to move ahead.

My real issue is that I think I'm really sensitive to how well my feet fit into my boots. For me, ANY movement is bad...(and when I would ski, it was the same issue there as well). My question is how do you feel about this? Can you tolerate a slight movement of your foot? 

skatesnrides
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 06-04-2005, 10:52 AM

Cactus Bill - I have had this exact problem for YEARS.

Like you, I'm really sensitive to any movement of my feet in my boots. My left foot is 1/2" smaller than my right foot and my heels are narrow, too. One weird thing that a bootfitter discovered was that the the width of my achilles tendons was different for each foot & when I saw the photograph that he took, I was really stunned to see it. The foot with the narrower tendon really slips in every boot I've had. It seems that the padding just can't get into those spaces (that cup, it that makes any sense) between the tendon, the ankle bone & the heel. Sorry to say that the worst slippage occured in my custom Harlicks. I'm now in custom Klingbeils, and so far these have given me the best fit, but they still need "tweeking" in the heel area.

I had to laugh at your comment about ski boots, because I have the same problem there, as well. That's even scarier for me than on-ice issues, because I feel like I'm going to break an ankle going down anything steep.

Anyway, I also have the same kind of problem that you're having skating on the toes/balls of your feet - that is where my balance is most of the time and although my coach tries to get me to put more weight in & sink into my heels - it's pretty difficult when there's really no suction down there to keep them tight in the back of the boots.

I really hope your Harlicks work out better for you than they did for me & I know there are a lot of people here that have them & are very happy with them. Customs are great & I'm sure you will feel much improvement with them. Hopefully, my boots will be better with a few adjustments.

Just wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone with this problem.

When do your boots come in? 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-04-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatesnrides 
When do your boots come in?

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this! My boots should be in on the 13th...up at Pro's Edge up Phoeynix way (actually Kelly's up in Peoria, but from down here it's all pretty much the same place). He's both a Harlick and a SP Teri dealer and he felt that the Harlick boot should be a better fit for me. Guess we'll find out when I go up there in a couple of weeks.

That problem with the heel lift is crazy. I know that a lot of people don't have a problem with it but it drives me nuts. Like I said I tend to go up on the balls of my feet, if there's nothing to keep them down. Then my arches ache...(yeah, I know pain is part of this sport...but this one is frustrating! I know full well it's what's holding me back.) 

Elsy2

Posted: 06-05-2005, 10:24 AM

Just wanted to tell you that Harlick's were the only boot that kept my daughter's heels in place. Her heel bumps receded to near normal wearing these boots.

You might want to try skating barefoot (in your boots of course!). The one time I forgot my tights I did this, and noticed no movement in the boot even though my boots are a loose fit. My coach has always skated barefooted. You may like it! 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-05-2005, 12:28 PM

I've found the next best thing (well, for a guy that is ) is a pair of "liners". These are relatively thin socks that are sold at outdoor shops (mine are from Popular Outdoor and are made by Fox River) which act to wick moisture away from the foot. Since they are meant to be worn under hiking socks they are relatively thin and work well. And being a member of the "boring black boot boys" (like we get any choice...) my feet aren't used to being without socks inside of any kind of shoes. 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 06-05-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Bill 
And being a member of the "boring black boot boys" (like we get any choice...)

I have a male skating friend who has custom Harlicks - black boots with brown heels. Looks really sharp and he's proud of it, too! 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-05-2005, 01:42 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong...I've got no problem with black boots. It's just that that's all that guys ever seem to be offered. In fact, I can't help but think that this sport could attract more men if more options were available. Maybe some additional colors...like dark blue or dark green (my skin colors favor greens and browns). Yeah, yeah, I know, men are supposed to wear just black and white.

But I think I'll pass on those purple Harlicks... they're just not me! 

Michigansk8er

Posted: 06-05-2005, 08:05 PM

Cactus Bill,

I have the exact same problem. It's VERY frustrating. Good luck with your Harlicks. Most people have good luck with them........like Elsy2's daughter. I was one of the few unfortunate people that they couldn't fit. The good news is that they refunded my money. I'm not is custom SPTeri's............that are a royal pain, but they keep my heel in place.

I was able to tweak some of my previous ill-fitting boots with an insole and bunga sleeve (the heel/achilles one), and some lambswool. A temporary fix, but worth looking trying if your boots take a long time to arrive. 

jazzpants

Posted: 06-06-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong...I've got no problem with black boots. It's just that that's all that guys ever seem to be offered. In fact, I can't help but think that this sport could attract more men if more options were available. Maybe some additional colors...like dark blue or dark green (my skin colors favor greens and browns). Yeah, yeah, I know, men are supposed to wear just black and white.

But I think I'll pass on those purple Harlicks... they're just not me! 

HEY!!! What's wrong with purple Harlicks!!! *fake stern look* LOL!!!

Just kidding... Seriously, would you settle for dark brown boots? My primary coach has dark brown Klingbeils with bling-bling gold color MK Gold Stars!!! Should have seen all the other skaters look at his (then) new boots at the time. I don't know if he's gonna get another pair of Klingbeils or go with SP Teri's now, since our one local Klingbeil fitter (that I know about) has since passed away back in January.

But if you go customs, you can pick any color you want... for a little extra $, of course! Then again, by the time you spent all that money on custom Harlicks, the extra $35 for different color leather would seem like a small price to pay.

(Proud owner of purple Harlicks, though the ones picture above are TashaKat's purple Harlicks, not mine...) 

Casey

Posted: 06-06-2005, 04:55 AM

Whenever I get skates again, they'll be custom, and have brown soles/heels. My ex-roomate's SP Teris were black with brown soles and they looked really nice. In addition, the soles on white boots of any sort of decent quality looks really nice too - I like black, but I really like the way the leather layers show on brown soles. Maybe they could even dye the leather a bit so it came out the color of dark cherry wood or something, that would be really nice.

As for the boot leather color, I really like black. I wear mostly black, so it works out well. I wish I had some differently-colored boot covers though - it woud be nice to wear yellow boot covers when wearing yellow practice clothing, etc.

I like the suede finish on my current boots rather a lot, and think I'd go for the same thing in custom boots. 

jazzpants

Posted: 06-06-2005, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey S 
Whenever I get skates again, they'll be custom, and have brown soles/heels. My ex-roomate's SP Teris were black with brown soles and they looked really nice. In addition, the soles on white boots of any sort of decent quality looks really nice too - I like black, but I really like the way the leather layers show on brown soles. Maybe they could even dye the leather a bit so it came out the color of dark cherry wood or something, that would be really nice.

Actually the way Harlicks have their boots made is that you go into a tannery room and you get to pick your choice of different colors from the room. You can also look at a catalog of tanneries that they order from and they CAN order the colored leather you want and have it shipped to them and they make start making the boots in the meanwhile.

Quote:
As for the boot leather color, I really like black. I wear mostly black, so it works out well. I wish I had some differently-colored boot covers though - it woud be nice to wear yellow boot covers when wearing yellow practice clothing, etc.

You're not the only person!!! Before my purple boots, I wore BLACK Riedell stock boots myself!!! Got a lot of attention from wearing thise too, but not as much as the custom purple Harlick boots... 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-06-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote from:  ...Before my purple boots, I wore BLACK Riedell stock boots myself!!! Got a lot of attention from wearing thise too, but not as much as the custom purple Harlick boots... [/QUOTE

Hey Jazzpants,

Well, when I wear my current black Riedells, NOBODY pays any attention

And I guess if I were to wear purple Harlicks I sure would get a lot of attention... but most likely the wrong kind of attention.

So I'll stick with my basic black Harlicks... If I ever get back to the Bay Area I'll look ya up...bet I won't miss those purple Harlicks 

jazzpants

Posted: 06-07-2005, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Well, when I wear my current black Riedells, NOBODY pays any attention 

Well, it does help that I'm a woman...and women are usually wearing either white or light tan boots!

Quote:
And I guess if I were to wear purple Harlicks I sure would get a lot of attention... but most likely the wrong kind of attention.

So I'll stick with my basic black Harlicks... If I ever get back to the Bay Area I'll look ya up...bet I won't miss those purple Harlicks 

You could always get yourself some brown, grey, or dark blue boots with bling-bling gold blades! That will get some the type of attention you want!!! 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-07-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzpants 
Well, it does help that I'm a woman...

Yeah...I kinda figured that out

You could always get yourself some brown, grey, or dark blue boots with bling-bling gold blades! That will get some the type of attention you want!!! 

Now that's an idea...dark blue (or dark green, depending...yeah I know that green isn't supposed to be a men's color, but I like it. But I've been known to wear pink shirts to work also. But I draw the line at pink satin party dresses! ) with the bling-bling gold blades would look great! I just need to get to be a good enough skater to pull it off! 

jazzpants

Posted: 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Now that's an idea...dark blue (or dark green, depending...yeah I know that green isn't supposed to be a men's color, but I like it. But I've been known to wear pink shirts to work also. But I draw the line at pink satin party dresses! ) with the bling-bling gold blades would look great! I just need to get to be a good enough skater to pull it off!

My primary coach wore a bright red dress with gold trim!!! (MK impersonation!) Of course, he's a good enough skater to carry that off too. 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
Re: Boot fit giving me fits! - fsf
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:40:34 PM »
Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-07-2005, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzpants 
My primary coach wore a bright red dress with gold trim!!! (MK impersonation!) Of course, he's a good enough skater to carry that off too.

This thread is useless without pictures!!!

So did you loan him your purple Harlicks? Or did they clash! 

techskater

Posted: 06-07-2005, 09:36 PM

No, he spent all night taping them in white before competing at AN's that year. AWESOME program 

Michigansk8er

Posted: 06-07-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techskater 
No, he spent all night taping them in white before competing at AN's that year. AWESOME program

Totally Awesome!!!!! I have it on tape (thanks to Elsy2). 

jazzpants

Posted: 06-08-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
This thread is useless without pictures!!!

So did you loan him your purple Harlicks? Or did they clash!

You want pictures? You got it!!!

http://www.32degrees.us/funny.html

No, I didn't loan him my purple skates. (I didn't have them at the time!) As you can see, the skates are white!!! He Sk8Taped his teaching (black at the time) boots! 

*IceDancer1419*

Posted: 06-08-2005, 08:04 PM

Ohhhh my gosh that's HILARIOUS hahahah! What a clever idea!!! LOL 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-08-2005, 10:28 PM

I LOVE it! He nailed MK's look down to the nailpolish! Thanks for the linky. 

icedancer2

Posted: 06-09-2005, 04:18 PM

I saw a video of this program when he skated it at ANs -- it was brilliant -- he had Michelle's little idiocyncrasies down to the end of his fingernails -- very camp, but very respectful as well.

Very well done. 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-18-2005, 08:36 PM

UPDATE.

I just got back from having my new boots (Harlick customs) fitted. My right boot needed some minor punching out (the toe joint was tight and my right ankle is skewed...from having had my right foot in a cast twice in the past) and the left foot was a PERFECT fit right out of the box. How often does THAT happen?

Now they are being waterprofed, and Kelly (at Pro's Edge up Phoenix way) will mount the blades next Saturday, after which they come home with me. And then I get the joy of breaking them in!

Blades will be Coronation Ace Parabolics...should be great skates. Now I need to become a great skater! 

Casey

Posted: 06-19-2005, 02:43 AM

Quote:
UPDATE.

Hey Bill, I just realized you were the same Bill as on CAS - good to see you here too! 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-19-2005, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Hey Bill, I just realized you were the same Bill as on CAS - good to see you here too! 

Dat's me! 

sk8er1964

Posted: 06-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Hee hee -- me too. 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-19-2005, 02:25 PM

Gee...It's nice to be popular!

Hope you don't mind the double posting to both lists about Bill's excellent boot fitting adventures, but I know several people from both lists are interested...well maybe curious is a better word. So I've been passing on my experiences as they develop. So for those of you following on this and CAS who might be getting a bit of echo difficulty, sorry. But at least this way everyone who has expressed an interest is kept up-to-date.

So once I get these boots (and I go through the agony of defeet) my next project is to finally (after HOW many years????) learn to skate backwards! Can a Lutz be that far behind??? (yes...but at least it's on the horizon!) 

Casey

Posted: 06-19-2005, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Gee...It's nice to be popular!

Hope you don't mind the double posting to both lists about Bill's excellent boot fitting adventures, but I know several people from both lists are interested...well maybe curious is a better word. So I've been passing on my experiences as they develop. So for those of you following on this and CAS who might be getting a bit of echo difficulty, sorry. But at least this way everyone who has expressed an interest is kept up-to-date.

So once I get these boots (and I go through the agony of defeet) my next project is to finally (after HOW many years????) learn to skate backwards! Can a Lutz be that far behind??? (yes...but at least it's on the horizon!)

Nonono, it's fine to post in both places - I do myself sometimes when I have really exciting news (well exciting to me anyways). It's to be expected I think if you use both. There's other lists and forums about with common people all over the place

I'm working on the lutz now, though not terribly often. It's certainly not that far behind if you want it. 

*IceDancer1419*

Posted: 06-19-2005, 03:23 PM

Excuse the dumb question, but what's CAS? 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-19-2005, 10:00 PM

Icedancer1419, the only dumb question is the one that's not asked. CAS is a yahoo group for "competetive adult skaters" (hence the CAS). It's a Yahoo mail list that caters to those of us of a "certain age"...skaters, coaches, judges and others involved in the sport. It's a little restrictive in that the moderator wants only skaters and others involved in skating on the list to limit spammers trolls, hijackers and other internet scum, since the name of the group has the word "adult" in it. A link that might get you there is:

http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/compadultsk8s/ 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
Re: Boot fit giving me fits! - fsf
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 11:41:02 PM »
Casey

Posted: 06-20-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *IceDancer1419* 
Excuse the dumb question, but what's CAS?

CAS == my initials!! 

tino14

Posted: 06-22-2005, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this! My boots should be in on the 13th...up at Pro's Edge up Phoeynix way (actually Kelly's up in Peoria, but from down here it's all pretty much the same place). He's both a Harlick and a SP Teri dealer and he felt that the Harlick boot should be a better fit for me. Guess we'll find out when I go up there in a couple of weeks.

That problem with the heel lift is crazy. I know that a lot of people don't have a problem with it but it drives me nuts. Like I said I tend to go up on the balls of my feet, if there's nothing to keep them down. Then my arches ache...(yeah, I know pain is part of this sport...but this one is frustrating! I know full well it's what's holding me back.)

I also have the same problem, but one of my feet is a whole size bigger than my other one. That is crazy, but oh well. 1 is a size 4 and one is a size 5, so i have to have a 4 and a 1/2. So i have to tighten one up really well to stop it slipping up and down, and to really loosen one of them, so it sometimes makes skating a bit awkward, but i get used to after a while, i think you just have to keep trying skates until you find a pair that you are satisfied with when skating. You'll get there in the end !! 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-22-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tino14 
I also have the same problem, but one of my feet is a whole size bigger than my other one. That is crazy, but oh well. 1 is a size 4 and one is a size 5, so i have to have a 4 and a 1/2. So i have to tighten one up really well to stop it slipping up and down, and to really loosen one of them, so it sometimes makes skating a bit awkward, but i get used to after a while, i think you just have to keep trying skates until you find a pair that you are satisfied with when skating. You'll get there in the end !!

Tino14,

It's NOT crazy. Most people have two different sized feet. My left foot is a half size larger than my right foot. If you can afford it, you should get customs. I know they're expensive (boy do I ever!) but it's the ONLY way you will get a proper fit of your boots. Been there, done that...got the hole in my wallet to prove it.

I now have a pair (well...actually I will have them next Saturday, when I get the blades mounted) of perfectly fitted boots, and am looking forward to getting there!

Size 4? Are you still growing or have you finished growing? Of course this may well dictate whether you should get customs or not...unless you are on the fast track to eliteskaterdom, or are rich (as I said customs are expensive) I would suggest holding off until you finish growing (if that is the case. If not, well...as we used to say in the Navy..."belay my last") 

*IceDancer1419*

Posted: 06-22-2005, 10:42 PM

SOME companies (not honestly positive which, sadly ) can give you stock boots in different sizes; that is, one of each size. I'm not sure which of them do this, though... 

icedancer2

Posted: 06-23-2005, 01:39 PM

SP Teri -- you can get different sizes, plus a combined width.

For instance, I wear an 8 1/2 on my right foot and a 9 on my left. The ball of the foot is a B and the heel is a AA.

You pay a little extra for this, but it's great to get the correct fit. 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-25-2005, 09:28 PM

I got my boots today! Now I get the fun of breaking them in...

Kelly did a great job mounting the blades...he had me stand both on both feet and each individual foot so he could tweak the blades just right. Then he sharpened the blades, so I was ready to go. I planned to shoot back down here and make the afternoon skate session, BUT...

The car had different ideas. Basically, I blew out the radiator. Had a BIG crack about 4 inches long...it was toast. It was about 1 in the afternoon, I was up in Phoenix (it hit 108 there today) and there was about 120 miles of open desert to cross between Phoenix and Tucson. And, as far as I knew, like in Tucson the car repair shops closed at noon.

I stopped at a Checker and picked up a pair of tubes of JB Weld...I figured that it might hold, and maybe not (I also bought a couple of gallons of water). I smeared the epoxy onto the radiator tank (like most new cars my Miata has a plastic tank on the radiator...which can't be fixed) hoping it would cure hard enought to hold up until I got back home (and NOT holding my breath about that). Then I had lunch at a burger joint (Whataburger, for those of you who care about such things) and walked back to the car. I noticed that there was a car repair place behind the Checker and then noticed it was OPEN. I walked back, and found out that they could get a radiator now, and that they could fix it. NOW! Cost about $325.00 and a couple hours of my time...and had a good uneventful trip back.

Think I'll try to make the evening session...starts about 7ish (I don't expect to spend more than maybe 30 minutes on the ice in these brand-spanking-new boots and skates...but it's a start.

Things could be worse!!!

Film at 11:00... 

d b n y

Posted: 06-25-2005, 10:06 PM

Glad you were able to get your car fixed so fast! You are right, it could have been a lot worse, as when your radiator leaks or is blocked and you don't know, and out of the blue, the temp is going up and up and up! 

Casey

Posted: 06-25-2005, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Things could be worse!!!

Yep! I always try to remind myself when things are going really bad. Sometimes it takes me a few hours to realize, but in the end logic usually comes out ahead.

One time I flew to Long Island to pick up a car I'd bought on eBay. I'm heading back south to Georgia, and the thing overheats and starts smoking like crazy in the middle of nowhere, New Jersey.

I open the hood, and see what appears to be the radiator fan, completely broken off and mashed into the front of the radiator. However, after having it towed to a nearby place, I found that that was just the A/C fan (I knew the A/C was broken when I bought the car), and the only reason the car overheated was because the belt that makes the radiator fan (on the *inside* of the radiator) turn had broken. Cost a lot more for the tow than the repair, and the smoke had just been caused because the overflow valve on the radiator (which is where it will force out radiator fluid if it overheats) was turned to point towards the engine instead of the original placement towards the ground. 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-26-2005, 12:55 AM

Had a somewhat similar thing happen to me about 20 years ago...I had bought a car from a relative in San Francisco who had assured me it was in excellent condition (and I trusted her...the LAST time I ever trusted her! Who was it that you can pick your friends but are stuck with your relatives?) and the radiator hose blew on the freeway (I-10) in San Bernadino. Fortunately there was a gas station nearby which was able to replace the hose with no major problems to the car.

Anyways, I just got back from the rink and my very first skate on the new skates...first the bad news...
these things HURT! The leather's stiff, the first time I put them on I got some tight spots on my left (that's the one I originally said fit like a glove) knuckle joint...I managed two turns around the rink before I gave up in pain. (remember...these are brand new skates. 'nuff said). I took them off, and waited for a while.

Then I put them back on again...something must have gone right this time, since the pain was gone. (I guess my foot fit inside better this time). I did a couple of dozen turns around the rink, just stroking forward. (the ice was horrible...it seemed like it was grabbing my skates...but it could well be those brand new blades with the brand new sharpening)

Now for the interesting part. I actually expected that they would hurt (well, duh!) and I still may well have the right inside ankle punched out again (thanks to that asymetric ankle bone). No major problem here. But the thing is this...I felt WAAAY more confident on these blades. And I definately felt that they were flatter...I could feel the ENTIRE blade under my foot. So THAT'S what it's supposed to feel like! They let me know RIGHT NOW if I got off my center (but then they made it easier to recover...) I don't know if it's just the Coronation Ace versus the Club 2000 blade, or the fact that these are Parabolic blades. Probably a combination of both. The upshot of this is...I like them. Boy, do I like them. And I think I'm REALLY going to like them even more when I get used to them.

And these things turn...boy do they turn. It seems that I just have to think about turning and they turn. And while I didn't try any outside edge work, the outside edge seemed great...the Riedells I used to skate in were unstable on my outside edge, which led to some baaaad habits on my part. At least for me they were...

No, I didn't try any backwards skating. I'll get a couple more hours on these before I try that...but from what I've noticed tonight I think they will be a vast improvement. Now all I need is some improvement on MY part. And some more time on these skates to begin the break-in process. 

Cactus Bill

Posted: 06-26-2005, 11:43 PM

I spent another hour or so on them today. Now I'm convinced the "flatter" blade is actually due to the higher heel on the Harlicks, which throws my center of gravity a little forward from where I'm used to it being. And I think that this is a good thing for me, as I might have been sitting a bit further back than I should have been.

The blades still turn like a dream...I noticed absolutely no problem with getting on my outside edge now. I'm still basically stroking around the rink (as per Harlick's instructions...I paid a goodly sum for these skates and am not willing to risk messing them up by NOT following Harlick's instructions regarding breaking them in.

Most of the pain now is tracible to getting my laces right (speaking of laces, why does Harlick use those skinny laces in their boots? I've got a doozy of a blister formed on the inside of my left index finger where I've been tightening them up. Now that may well be worse than any foot pain...)

More later as things (and creases) develop... 

*IceDancer1419*

Posted: 06-27-2005, 01:01 PM

You can buy a different pair of laces... those thin ones DO hurt. I bought new ones... (not that I have Harlicks ) 

d b n y

Posted: 06-27-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Most of the pain now is tracible to getting my laces right (speaking of laces, why does Harlick use those skinny laces in their boots? I've got a doozy of a blister formed on the inside of my left index finger where I've been tightening them up. Now that may well be worse than any foot pain...)

Get the cotton blend laces. Not only do they hurt less, but they stretch less, and so reach a stable length much sooner. If you can find them locally, Rainbo carries them. 

*IceDancer1419*

Posted: 06-27-2005, 02:06 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what I use... and it does work a bit better than the really thin ones (in my very limited experience)