You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: AIM Artistry in Motion  (Read 1544 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
AIM Artistry in Motion
« on: July 28, 2011, 04:55:28 PM »
Have you or your skater worked on these USFS badges?  Do you think it is helpful?  There is only one rink in the area that has this class - some others have choreography classes but not these specific classes.  If you are familiar, would you say a pre-pre skater would benefit?

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/BS-artistryinmotion.pdf

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: AIM Artistry in Motion
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:46:40 AM »
I don't know anyone who takes these classes, but, based on my experience as a spectator watching both recreational and competitive skaters, artistry IS very important in skating. From personal experience, however, I find it better to be at ease with the technical aspects of skating first, and then focus on the artistry.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: AIM Artistry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »
We have one coach who is awesome at the AIM curriculum.  While our rink doesn't offer the badges, she has conducted Artistry classes in the past and they're always very well-received.  It's challenging for the skaters to not only skate movements and elements, but to do so with style.  She really focuses on bringing out their own innate style and creativity.

That said, just offering the curriculum isn't enough: you have to have a coach who can guide the skaters with style and good-humor.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright