You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Lesson Cancellation Policies  (Read 3026 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Lesson Cancellation Policies
« on: October 13, 2011, 03:16:41 AM »
Just curious how different coaches handle lesson cancellations.
How far in advance do you have to let the coach know you are cancelling? Is there a policy of how many lessons you can skip before you lose your slot? And how do coaches handle injuries? Some injuries are quite clear in their length of time off the ice (you're hardly going to be skating on a broken leg), but what about those which are less obvious and have a more fluid recovery time?

I'm aware that coaches sometimes do favours such as not charging when told the night before the skater is violently ill and won't make the 6am lesson. But what are their advertised policies?

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Lesson Cancellation Policies
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »
My coach's only policy is that I let her know as soon as I know.

So for example, when I realised I wasn't going to be well enough to make my lesson last Thursday, I sent her a text message as soon as I woke up.

My coach tries to be pretty flexible. She has a few adult or older students and knows that sometimes things come up. The only thing she asks is that we try not to shuffle around too much and let her know in advance. I always try very hard not to cancel.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
Official rink policy is if you cancel within 24 hours of your lesson time, you will still be charged. But since we don't pay the rink directly, it's up to the coach's discretion. (you do pay the rink of Skate UK courses but because you pay for a block of 6 weeks at a time, if you miss a lesson, well you've already paid for it so tough luck).

I've had more than my fair share of illnesses and injuries this summer, and my coach has been very good about it. If I know on Saturday that there's no way I'll be skating on Tuesday, I let her know at that point. I have the first lesson of the morning on Tuesday, so even if I only let her know Monday evening, she doesn't have to move anyone else around.

I do feel it should work both ways though. If my coach wants to move my lesson (other skaters have cancelled, she wants to cram some last minute lessons in for someone with a comp or a test, etc) I try to be as flexible as possible. Unfortunately, work limits that a lot, but until this summer I could switch times and days very easily and was happy to fit in with her. Obviously, not everyone can be flexible, especially with childcare etc, but if you can but refuse to for no good reason then why should coach be flexible for you?

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »
Officially, every coach my daughter or I have ever had, has a 24 hour cancellation policy except for emergency.  Unofficially, they've all had a little bit of wiggle room because they all knew things come up.  Every once in an odd while, one of them would need to cancel last-minute, too, so a little flexibility goes both ways.

They were all very good about longer-term injury absences, too.  Daughter's only big one was a broken foot that occurred a few weeks before the end of the school year.  Her coach used that spot for other students during her absence knowing she fully intended to come back, which was right around the time school let out and everyone changed to their summer schedule anyway.  As long as we kept her in the loop regarding daughter's recovery and approximate return to the ice, she was happy to help us out.  Same with my coach when I broke my wrist.  In my case I started back on the ice after her fall schedule was set, for the first few weeks I took whatever times she had open due to cancellations that would fit in my schedule.  Generally the kids add a few lessons right before Regionals and return to a smaller number of lessons afterward, so we both knew she'd have a few openings.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 09:56:09 AM »
As a coach, my official policy is 24 hours notice, but I'm flexible.  I have kids, so I understand that they come home from school feeling ill unexpectedly.  Plus, things happen, like dead car batteries and flat tires.  If someone makes an effort to let me know in advance, it's no big deal. 

When last-minute cancellations and no-shows without warning are a regular occurrence, that's a bigger issue in my mind.  After the second time, I set up an automated "invitation" and unless the parent acknowledges that they'll be there, I don't expect to see the skater. 

When a skater asks for a particular lesson slot, then cancels at the last minute every other week (or more) for non-emergencies, it's frustrating to the coach and the skater.  The skater doesn't progress without regular lessons and practice, and the coach loses income.  I have one skating mom who is great and always tells me, "If so-and-so cancels, call me and DD will take a lesson."  That doesn't work if I'm cooling my heels at the rink and the skater just doesn't show up.

Earlier this season, one of my most reliable and consistent parents just didn't show up with his two DDs.  He's always punctual and really great about cancelling ASAP.  That day, the weather was bad and I had seen several accidents on the way to the rink.  Of course, my imagination started to get the better of me, but fortunately, he sent me a message saying it was a dead car battery.  Still, you worry about unexpected absences.

Cell phones, texts, emails and front-desk messages have reduced the number of no shows, fortunately.

If the skater's injured, I make it clear to anyone who fills the slot that's it's a temporary arrangement.
In the past, most of the injured skaters chose a different slot because of schedule changes, so it was a moot point.

Some skaters take "breaks" from skating for vacations, trips, special projects and even school.  (Sept's always quiet.)  I explain to the parents that I really cannot hold a time slot open indefinitely.  They understand and schedule based on what's open when they return.  Often, a different slot is more convenient for them, anyway.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:43 AM »
As a coach, my official policy is 24 hours notice, but I'm flexible.  I have kids, so I understand that they come home from school feeling ill unexpectedly.  Plus, things happen, like dead car batteries and flat tires.  If someone makes an effort to let me know in advance, it's no big deal. 

When last-minute cancellations and no-shows without warning are a regular occurrence, that's a bigger issue in my mind.  After the second time, I set up an automated "invitation" and unless the parent acknowledges that they'll be there, I don't expect to see the skater. 

Out of curiosity how many last-minute cancellations does it take for you to start setting the automated invite? Is it two weeks running, or just if there's been a period of disruption (skates a couple of weeks, misses a couple, shows for another one, misses a couple, skates a month, misses a couple, etc)?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Any two no-shows/last minute cancellations will do as an impetus, imo.  Example: They take a lesson on week 1, go no-show or cancel/last minute week 2, cancel/advance week 3 ... odds are, they'll forget about the lesson in week 4 because they haven't had a lesson in two weeks.  If someone's consistent for a few weeks, I'll ask them if they still want the reminders and the answer has always been "Yes, because that way, we stay on top of the scheduling."

I truthfully think the family's not into skating or don't have the time, but when you try to give them an out, they won't take it.  The other indicator is how much they skate outside of lessons.  Typically, the ones who only come to the rink when they have a lesson are the ones who are more likely to miss lessons.

I consider it part of managing my workload since there's such a shortage of ice time for figure skating.  It's tough trying to fit in a makeup lesson these days.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:35:50 PM »
I don't think it has ever come up - I let her know as soon as possible and have never canceled more within 24 hours.  And she has always called me to cancel.  Barring an emergency, I don't think she has either.  Actually - come to think of it my skater got sick and I tried to pay her for the day she missed but she wouldn't take.  People get sick.

I'm sure if it were a regular thing she would have an issue.  But even now I try to give her waaaay advance notice of trips/vacations etc.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 12:01:44 AM »
What about coaches canceling lessons last minute say due to health issues / traffic / schedule conflicts etc.? Do they generally find time to make up for the student?

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 05:36:28 AM »
What about coaches canceling lessons last minute say due to health issues / traffic / schedule conflicts etc.? Do they generally find time to make up for the student?

Yes, mine does. She always makes an effort to make the time up if we're short for whatever reason. Sometimes we have to do it in little blocks, but we always make it up.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!