You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Feedback on Jackson 5000 series boots?  (Read 2997 times)

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Feedback on Jackson 5000 series boots?
« on: November 25, 2017, 07:57:09 AM »
Jackson introduced their 5000 series lightweight synthetic boots in 2016 (I believe the women's models were rolled out in ~ mid 2016; the men's models in ~ end 2016, replacing the previous leather Elite and Elite Supreme models (since discontinued).  I'd be interested in feedback from early adopters, particularly in comparisons with the previous leather Elite and Elite Supreme models. 

(a) Approximately what level of skater are you, and how many hours per week do you skate?

(b) What model did you get, and when did you get it?

(c) Did you wear a previous leather Elite or Elite Supreme model?  If so, which model?

(d) What do you like and don't like about your new boot?  If you wore a previous leather Elite or Elite Supreme model, what are the major differences (plus or minus)?  In particular:  Is the size the same?  Is the heel pitch the same?  Any signs of premature breakdown?  Does mounting the blades use the standard screws, or special screws (such as Edeas)?   I would appreciate as much detail as you care to share.

Thanks.

Offline lyssykw

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Feedback on Jackson 5000 series boots?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:01:25 AM »
I don't have an answer for you, but I would also be interested in hearing comparisons. I currently have an old version of elite plus (2010 model) and I'm looking to get a new pair. Probably either the elite or elite supreme low cut.
 I'm Adult Silver level, looking to move up to gold next year. I have all of my singles and axel and used to do doubles as a child, so hopefully might be able to regain some jumps in the next year or so.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »
Yes, I'm a bit surprised by the lack of response.  I would appreciate any input at all.  Thanks.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »
(a) Approximately what level of skater are you, and how many hours per week do you skate?

Bronze or silver level free skate.  Almost all my dances and skills.  I skate about 6 hrs a week.

(b) What model did you get, and when did you get it?

5200 and were bought in the summer.

(c) Did you wear a previous leather Elite or Elite Supreme model?  If so, which model?

I wore the precursor to the 5200 which I believe was the 4200?  The Elite model with no add ons.  So just the basic Elite model.

(d) What do you like and don't like about your new boot?  If you wore a previous leather Elite or Elite Supreme model, what are the major differences (plus or minus)?  In particular:  Is the size the same?  Is the heel pitch the same?  Any signs of premature breakdown?  Does mounting the blades use the standard screws, or special screws (such as Edeas)?   I would appreciate as much detail as you care to share.

I like them a lot in general.  What I don't like was during break in, the laces cut painfully across my lower shin.  I think this was because the tongue of the boot is relatively flexible and the boot was so stiff.  This cleared up after a week.  Also, the rubber sole is getting scraped up a bit and I'm not sure how to deal with that... I would have snow sealed my other skates but it won't work on rubber.  I find there's no real difference to my previous boots other than the stiffer feeling of the boot (unsure if the stiffness rating is actually the same).  Size was exactly the same.  No difference for me.  Heel pitch - I noticed zero difference.  Breakdown is no different than my last pair of skates.  The blades were mounted with standard screws - nothing special required.  Also I don't notice a stitch of difference in the synthetic material.  Honestly.  When I brought them home I actually couldn't see a difference when I put them side by side with my old skates.  They're really white I guess.  Someone commented on that yesterday.  But the fact that they're not leather isn't something you really notice at all.  I'd say I've put some nicks in them but at the same time I'm working on higher level skills that I wasn't working on in my old boots.

I really, really like these skates.  They're comfortable and hold up well.  I found the pricing compared to some of the other more expensive models with similar features to be a good value and having skated in Risport and having spent more money on them, I would say I'd prefer the less expensive Jacksons.  I'd say this is the best pair of skates I've owned.  I paired them with Jackson Freestyle blades and I love those too.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 10:12:02 PM »

I really, really like these skates.  They're comfortable and hold up well.  I found the pricing compared to some of the other more expensive models with similar features to be a good value and having skated in Risport and having spent more money on them, I would say I'd prefer the less expensive Jacksons.  I'd say this is the best pair of skates I've owned.  I paired them with Jackson Freestyle blades and I love those too.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks amy!  Exactly the sort of detail I was looking for.  One further question:  Is the inside padding and lining the same as before?
ETA:  Also, any noticeable difference in breathability; i.e., do you notice whether you collect more sweat inside the boots?

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »
Thanks amy!  Exactly the sort of detail I was looking for.  One further question:  Is the inside padding and lining the same as before?
ETA:  Also, any noticeable difference in breathability; i.e., do you notice whether you collect more sweat inside the boots?

The inside padding seems to be relatively the same.  It comes out looking a bit green in some of the pictures you see online but it's grey like usual when you see them in person.  If they've made changes to it, there's nothing too obvious.  It feels largely the same.  As for breathability... I haven't noticed a difference.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 01:11:14 PM »
The inside padding seems to be relatively the same.  It comes out looking a bit green in some of the pictures you see online but it's grey like usual when you see them in person.  If they've made changes to it, there's nothing too obvious.  It feels largely the same.  As for breathability... I haven't noticed a difference.
Thanks again, amy.  Sounds good.  I'll likely get a pair around middle of next year; I'd like to break in a new pair before my current ones break down.