You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Can a micro fiber boot be stretched like a conventional leather one?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
I was going to include this in the Jackson Debut discussion, but thought a new topic might get more response.  So, the Debut boot has a micro fiber upper.  Can it be stretched like a traditional leather upper?  We get about 6 months before my daughter's boots need stretching.  That buys us another 3-4 months of use before replacement.  If they can't be stretched I think we'd stick to the leather uppers on the Freestyle or Elle for her next boot.  If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
Re: Can a micro fiber boot be stretched like a conventional leather one?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 04:43:07 PM »
Google is my friend.  According to a cobbler (not skating boot specific) clarino microfiber stretches very little.  If anyone has skating boot specific info let me know.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:30:22 PM »
"Microfiber" refers to a fiber having a diameter less than a specified value.  It does not refer to a specific composition of material.  That is, microfibers can be fabricated from different compositions of material, which will have different properties.  The Jackson website does not specify the composition of the microfiber for Debut and Debut Fusion.  The Jackson website does state that the Debut and Debut Fusion are heat moldable.

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 06:17:26 PM »
I keep reading in various places that one of the benefits of micro fiber shoe/boot materials is that they DON'T stretch like leather and hence retain size and shape longer.  That would be great for adults who are finished growing, but not for getting extra time out of boots.  SP-Teri specifies that their boots are Clarino, which specifically touts the shape retention as a positive over animal leathers.  I think the heat moldability is a slightly different idea than long term stretching.  I've asked Jackson for comment.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 07:40:15 AM »
I was going to include this in the Jackson Debut discussion, but thought a new topic might get more response.  So, the Debut boot has a micro fiber upper.  Can it be stretched like a traditional leather upper?  We get about 6 months before my daughter's boots need stretching.  That buys us another 3-4 months of use before replacement.  If they can't be stretched I think we'd stick to the leather uppers on the Freestyle or Elle for her next boot.  If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.

Depending on the boot, you can remove the insole and replace it with a thinner one. That may give you a couple of extra months.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »
Why go with the Debut anyway? Is there any particular advantage of that boot that you'd like over the Freestyle and the Elle?

Offline tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 08:42:54 PM »
Why go with the Debut anyway? Is there any particular advantage of that boot that you'd like over the Freestyle and the Elle?
One advantage is that the Debut is sold as a boot only; you pick the blade of your choice.  Freestyle and Elle are sold as kit only, with pre-mounted blade.

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 09:14:00 PM »
Yes, that is why we are considering that boot instead of the Freestyle, same stiffness (well, verifying with Jackson about that) without the blade.  I bought the Eclipse Mist blade at a closeout to transition her to intermediate blades at a cheap price ($225 blade for $89, bought 3 sizes for her).  Her feet fit Jacksons so far, (she hated Riedell boots).  Her fitter did a great job mounting the Mists on her current Elles so we'd  be ok with removing the blades from the FS or another Elle, just seems like a waste though.  I think we can go with either of the 3 models, but the description of the last on the Debut seems like it might fit her foot better since she has a narrow heel.  Whether she needs the stiffness of the next boot up is debatable.  Her fitter is not one to overboot and she hasn't made a dent in her Elles in 7 months.  Fitter would say it's the perfect stiffness for her, but she'll be starting Axel prep soon so we might move up a little.