You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Help choosing blades  (Read 1562 times)

Offline arctisticsk8

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Help choosing blades
« on: August 01, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
Hi! I'm finally getting new skates after using my skates that I have now (Riedell 133s with MK 21 blades) for far too long. I've already bought boots, a pair of closeout Jackson Elites, but I'm struggling to pick out blades. Skating-wise, I have all of my singles except for the axel, which I'm hoping to start working on again once I'm in skates that have some ankle support. Aside from doing freestyle I also ice dance. 

Originally, I was planning on getting the Eclipse Cosmos blades, but after looking around online, it seems to me like a blade close to the Coronation Ace would be ideal for me, so now I'm considering other blades like the CAs, the Paramount equivalents, and the Eclipse Auroras. Since price is a concern for me, the Paramounts seem appealing, as they are a lot cheaper.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to which blade I should try?

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Help choosing blades
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 05:10:38 PM »
If you are considering the Wilson Coronation Ace, you should also at least consider the Eclipse Aurora.  I wrote a review comparing the two here:

http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=6851.0

Remember, don't consider just the initial purchase price; also consider the cost of sharpening.  I pay my guy $25/pop.  So a blade that's more expensive initially could actually save you money in the long run if the (initially) more expensive blade requires less frequent sharpening.  About the only thing I like about the Coronation Ace over the Aurora is the smaller spin rocker radius on the Coronation Ace.  If a smaller spin rocker radius is important to you, then go with the Coronation Ace.   I don't have any direct experience with Paramount, Ultima, or other brands, but definitely consider the stainless steel blades on the market.  I really wish Wilson and MK would offer their blades in stainless steel.

Offline arctisticsk8

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »
Thanks for all the information and the detailed review! I definitely think that between the Coronation Aces and the Auroras I would try the Auroras. The stainless steel really sounds great!

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »
Between those two get the Auroras. When you move up, I suggest skipping the Infinity and going straight for the Pinnacle.