You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Why can adult skaters "blade up"?  (Read 5969 times)

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
Why can adult skaters "blade up"?
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »
I notice that adult skaters are recommended to "blade up" on many of the guides I've seen (e.g. https://www.kinziescloset.com/Compare_Ice_Skate_Blades.html)

For example: the "elite" blades recommended for Adult Gold (up to axel), but only Novice (double-doubles). In other words - adults doing the same elements as someone on standard track are recommended a slightly more advanced blade.

For boots it's more understandable because of the (generally) heavier weight of an adult, but why the differential for blades?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Why can adult skaters "blade up"?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »
I would also assume because of weight.

Ever seen an elite skater break a blade?  It's possible it could happen with heavier adults on lower blades.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »
I notice that adult skaters are recommended to "blade up" on many of the guides I've seen (e.g. https://www.kinziescloset.com/Compare_Ice_Skate_Blades.html)

For example: the "elite" blades recommended for Adult Gold (up to axel), but only Novice (double-doubles). In other words - adults doing the same elements as someone on standard track are recommended a slightly more advanced blade.

For boots it's more understandable because of the (generally) heavier weight of an adult, but why the differential for blades?

I wonder if it is also because adults tend to keep their boots longer then kids do and therefore might advance and need a better blade before they need new boots? My current boots have a Wilson Excel blade on them. It is very much a beginner blade. I am considering asking our fitter if my daughters old professional blades would fit on my boots. If they do, I might move them to my skates. They might be too much for me, but I think I would get used to them as well.

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »

Ever seen an elite skater break a blade?  It's possible it could happen with heavier adults on lower blades.

True, but I would have thought that would guide heavier skaters towards something with a solid plate, but not make too much difference otherwise  ???

I need a new pair of blades as my Coro Aces are probably nearing the end of their useful life (for me at least - they probably have up to a year left but I can feel the rocker flattening and they get nicked much more easily these days. I like sharp sharp blades!!). Coaches here have totally conflicting advice. Some put their adult skaters into Gold Seals around axel level... I know you like the Matrix Legacy which I have considered, as a friend is going Stateside very soon and has offered to bring them back. But just to be more annoying I also need a new pair of boots as mine are suddenly CRIPPLING my feet, so I don't know what size yet... minefield  88)

I wonder if it is also because adults tend to keep their boots longer then kids do and therefore might advance and need a better blade before they need new boots? My current boots have a Wilson Excel blade on them. It is very much a beginner blade. I am considering asking our fitter if my daughters old professional blades would fit on my boots. If they do, I might move them to my skates. They might be too much for me, but I think I would get used to them as well.

It may be because Wilson + MK blades are cheaper here (manufacturered in the same country) but in the UK lots of skaters start off in Coro Aces or MK pros so I wouldn't worry about them being "too much blade". I've skated on Excels (my pro shop lets us try second hand boots on the ice before buying and they were attached) and they're not too dissimilar to the Coro Aces I have, so I think you should be fine :)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 10:15:46 AM »

"Advanced" blades advertise their lower weight, which suggests they are more fragile.  And actually I have not seen that happen.  But I have seen screws fail.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:29:22 AM »
"Advanced" blades advertise their lower weight, which suggests they are more fragile.  And actually I have not seen that happen.  But I have seen screws fail.

To me that would suggest they are made out of stronger materials, to allow for the cut outs, or more expensive, but lightweight materials that are strong.  I would think that's why none of the lightweight blades are the cheap option.

I've never seen a blade break in person (I know it is rare), but I've seen a few you-tube videos where a blade breaks, and also read quite a few articles (Lysacek, for example, lost training time to an injury sustained by a broken blade) about it happening to elite skaters.

I would also say "heavier" is relative.  I'm not talking about obese adults (who I wouldn't put into lightweight blades).  But the pressure a 120 pound adult puts on a landing of a toe-loop is likely similar to the pressure a 70-pound kid puts on the landing of a small triple.

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
 Elite senior vs. Average adult gold skater are effectively the same size though. I'm swinging towards the lower cost-per-use for adults. Also perhaps adults are more aware of how things are "supposed to feel" so can compensate for blade peculiarity than a little kid at the same level.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
I think a lot of adult skaters "blade up" because it flatters their ego and because they think that somehow, the blades alone will be an advantage.  No one needs anything better than a Coronation Ace until they are working on doubles, but I know many adults in Gold Seals and Pattern 99's who are nowhere near either.  And to repeat something yet another time - technique trumps equipment.  I've seen high level skaters land axels in rental skates.
My glass is half full :)

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 02:04:24 PM »
I am in Gold Seal.  I am working on doubles and double/single combos and find that I am doing better on my Gold Seals now than I ever did on my Patterns.  It took me a LONG time to get used to the rocker on the GS too.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
I think a lot of adult skaters "blade up" because it flatters their ego and because they think that somehow, the blades alone will be an advantage.
Do you mean I will not be landing that double lutz tomorrow after I mount my brand new Gold Seals on?!?!?  I want my money back!

I just switched to Ultima Matrix Supreme (Gold Seal clone) from Legacy (which I had after Coronation Ace) due to a couple of reasons. 
One of them was my coach suggested I try Gold Stars, but since I am such a fan of Ultima Matrix line, I went with their blade. Her comment was that Ultima Matrix Legacy has a bottom toe pick that is really close to the ice.  She is not a big fan of the Legacy for that reason.
Also,  I was getting new boots and needed new smaller blades to go with them, so I just wanted to try a different geometry of the blade and to see what all the hoopla was about ! How else do you know what you like if you don't try it?
And, most importantly, I wanted all the other skaters in the rink to see what an accomplished skater I became since  I got these super advanced blades!!!! :P

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »
I think adults (because they are the ones both skating AND paying) are more likely to spend more $$ if they think it will help.  Any advantage we can get, right?

I am in gold seals (but I am working on doubles) and I LOVE them.  I switched from an old and flattened phantom.  I love how I don't have to pick so hard on toe jumps.  I love how I actually have a rocker to spring off on my edge jumps.  And my spins are more centered.  But, if a coronation ace has a similar rocker profile (er, do they?  I understand they are similar), I would probably feel the same about those blades.

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
It seems to me when it comes to blades..it's more of a 'to each is own' kind of thing.   Recently one of my fellow adult skaters who is working on the same jumps and spins that I am(ie axel, 2sal, flying camels) bought new Pattern 99 blades.  She said they're lighter weight and may have a deeper rocker, but I myself have been very successful landing those jumps in Mirage blades.  I know Mirages are for lower levels, but they've been working for me and I'm not changing blades until coach says so or I dramatically move up to double axels which isn't very likely this season..if ever.  So, I guess it's a whatever works for you thing.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
It seems to me when it comes to blades..it's more of a 'to each is own' kind of thing.

I don't think anyone disputes that, but the OP wondered why so many adults buy top of the line blades that they do not really need.

IMO, skaters who are confident on the ice and working on doubles may well benefit from a move up in blade.  Which one, is a personal preference.  My younger DD moved up from Coronation Aces to Gold Seals and felt the difference (for the better) immediately.  I do not think that adults who are afflicted with the very natural "fear of getting hurt & holding back" syndrome are going to benefit, and some may even be set back a while.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
I've found it very difficult to transition everytime I switched blades.

I went from Mirage to Gold Seal when the Gold Seals came on the used boots I bought ($50).  The Gold Seals were amazing- it was like they did the turns for me. 

When they wore out, I moved to a cheaper blade.  I know that the level of skating I do is not the kind that needs Gold Seals.  I miss the effortless turns though.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 11:19:15 PM »
I've found it very difficult to transition everytime I switched blades.

I went from Mirage to Gold Seal when the Gold Seals came on the used boots I bought ($50).  The Gold Seals were amazing- it was like they did the turns for me. 

When they wore out, I moved to a cheaper blade.  I know that the level of skating I do is not the kind that needs Gold Seals.  I miss the effortless turns though.

It could have been the profile of the blade, or, if the blade was a different size, that could do it to.  When I went from Coronation Aces on Klingbeil customs to Ultima Finesse on Edea boots, my blade size went down 1/2".  I had a really hard time getting used to the shorter tail on the blade, but after the first week or two, my F threes were so much smoother.  One of my big problems with F threes has always been rocking up (you don't do that on roller skates), but now I'm thinking that the spin/turn spot was always just too far forward for me on that boot/blade combo.  I'm thinking about getting another pair of Klingbeils, and will ask Don to make them so I can keep the same shorter blades, if I do.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 12:08:58 AM »
Part of it is cost I think.  An adult is going to use a blade till it can't be sharpened anymore.  A kid is going to use it for about a year.  I do think kids blade up when there is little money stress.  No one will say "you can't wear those blades!" to a kid (or their parents) when they want to spend that much.   

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »
One father-son combo turned up at my old rink in matching revolution gold seals for their first ever lesson on ice :) apparently they would not listen to the pro shop at all but after two sessions of splatfests they came back with something a bit more modest :)

I too got a pair of barely used gold seals with boots for very little. Ironically the boot didn't fit but I kept the blade. I have used them a few times and the speed is amazing - I have good ice coverage anyway but this was something else! I found the rocker profile very different to the Aces however.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 08:26:07 AM »

I would also say "heavier" is relative.  I'm not talking about obese adults (who I wouldn't put into lightweight blades).  But the pressure a 120 pound adult puts on a landing of a toe-loop is likely similar to the pressure a 70-pound kid puts on the landing of a small triple.

We have a winner!

Force on landing = mass of the skater x acceleration.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/