You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skates...  (Read 1946 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Skates...
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »
This must be the week for skate questions! :)

I have a 3-4 yr old pair of Riedell Gold Medallion skates. For the most part, I like my skates. I was fitted for these after being in too big Jackson Glacier skates. The problem is this... sometimes, the toes of one foot will go numb. It doesn't always happen but it happens enough that I was concerned and asked about it. I asked a different fitter to measure my feet. I found out that one foot is in the right skate and the other foot is about a 1/4-1/2 inch longer then the other foot. That foot is the foot that goes numb from time to time. The fitter did tell me he could try stretching my boot for me. Will that help? My second option is to order a new pair of skates. If I do that, I am going to order either Jackson Classiques or Jackson Freestyles.

Thanks!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Skates...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
Yes, stretching the boot will help.  What do you have to lose?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:55:06 AM »
Sounds like your fitter did the opposite of my fitter. I also have Gold Medallions, and also have one foot that is longer than the other. In my case, one boot is ever so slightly too big and I solve the problem by use a heel liner in the right boot, which fills up enough space for it not to slip. I do sometimes have to re-lace that boot to make it tighter at the ankle, but this isn't a huge issue given my level and the amount I skate.

Obviously that doesn't answer your question, but interesting how different fitters approach things.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:13:30 PM »
Yeah, I think my smaller foot was measured but not my larger foot. It's my left foot that has the problems. I am hoping punching the toe area out will help. I skated Tuesday and my foot was more then ready to be out of that boot by the time I was done. These boots are wide width too. If I continue to skate more, I think I will buy a pair of Jackson Freestyle skates. The Mirage blade that comes standard on them should be sufficient for me considering my daughter wore those blades until she was landing axels! lol. I will not be doing anything like that! Hee hee