You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Gam boot help  (Read 1061 times)

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 17
Gam boot help
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »
I am looking into buying Gam boots.  I don't know anyone that has Gam boots in my area.  This area is mostly Riedell and Harlick with a few Klingbeils thrown in.  I can't afford Harlicks or Klingbeils.  I currently have Riedells, but they pinch the balls of my feet.  I've heard the Gams have a wider toe box, so was hoping they would be a better boot for me.  I have found some great deals on Gams that are within my budget - they are the older models.

The boots that I have found are the 50 Celebrity and the 65 Bronze.  I've found different sites that recommend different boots, based on level.  I am just starting to work on my lutz, but have all my other singles.  I am 40, female, 5'7" and 180 lbs.  What boot do you think would be better?  The price difference between the 2 is minimal, but I don't want to over or underboot.  My current boots are Riedell Gold Stars that are 5 years old and just starting to break down.

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
Re: Gam boot help
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:08:32 PM »
FYI, Gam is now owned by Jackson. You may want to look into Jacksons, as they are also known for being wide. Gams may have changed a bit since Jackson acquired them (the rep I talked to at Nationals said they'd made some adjustments) but when I skated in them, they were very narrow. If I'm reading correctly, it doesn't sound like you'll be trying on the boots before you buy them? That's a mistake; definitely try on skates before you purchase.