You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Forward pivot: Help! sf, LilJen, 7/2006  (Read 5076 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Forward pivot: Help! sf, LilJen, 7/2006
« on: September 24, 2010, 08:06:57 PM »
From the archives...
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
Re: Forward pivot: Help! sf, LilJen, 7/2006
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »
LilJen
07-13-2006, 09:04 AM
So I had my first private lesson yesterday, because there are numerous holes in my basic 8 (USFSA) (as in, I can do stuff up to 6 or 7 in some cases but am stuck on lower-level moves).

The worst, worst thing that I just could not do? A FORWARD PIVOT. It was a total and complete dud. I end up either (1) stuck with the toepick in and my other leg behind in T position, going nowhere quickly (how do I get the move going? for whatever reason the directive to "do a half swizzle" doesn't produce the correct result) or (2) I start the rotation and freeleg gets farther and farther away from toepick, and ick. There is simply no ease about this.

The two tips that the coach had were (1) put the weight on the toepick leg (2) keep the feet in a T relationship to each other. She did have me try it in both directions (smart woman), which didn't help. :roll: Suggestions, anyone?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isk8NYC
07-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Keep your shoulders square or turned toward the direction you're turning.
I teach it with a swing-arms start, as you would use for a two-foot spin from a standstill.

Instead of thinking about a "T", think about keeping that free foot behind your other foot, straight back.

Keep your weight on the toepick foot, the knee of that leg has to be over the toe pick or a bit forward. BEND YOUR KNEE!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xofivebyfive
07-13-2006, 11:34 AM
And it won't just come right away. Or, well it didn't for me. Your leg isn't used to using that set of muscles that way. It took me a while before mine was actually able to move around. And now my coach put a foward pivot in the opposite direction in my program, so I'm currently trying to fix that as well.

doubletoe
07-13-2006, 01:42 PM
That's absolutely true. I felt like a total spaz the first time I tried a forward pivot. And then, even though I could do it in one direction, I felt like a total spaz all over again when my new coach tried to get me to do it the other direction, LOL! Somehow, there was just this total disconnect between my brain and my feet. But now I have no problem at all with either of them, so rest assured you'll get it, too. :)

froggy
07-13-2006, 05:51 PM
i totally understand, it's one of those seemingly simple things (whats simple in skating anyhow?) that my brain and feet just simply not connect together. weird enough i can do it on my other foot in the opposite direction but thats it! :giveup:

vesperholly
07-14-2006, 04:45 AM
Push with the heel of your back foot and keep your foot turned out. Don't start with a close T-stop position, your feet should be shoulder-width apart and back foot slightly out to the side instead of straight behind (almost crossed).

LilJen
07-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Thank you, guys!! I will try all this tonight before my lesson. I think doubletoe put it best--I feel like a "total spaz," too!

-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
Adding on a newish suggestion:  start the pivot with a swing of the arms from one side to the pivot side, then focus on keeping a cross-check in place, with the opposite shoulder over the pivoting knee.  That twist is really important.

Keep your weight on the pivoting toe - knee bends, foot points.

Last suggestion: keep the pivoting foot heel turned inward a bit so that the blade heel points at the gliding foot instep.  If it feels like it's dying, turn the pivoting foot heel in more.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 11:31:38 PM »
I've read this about three times. So it's point the heel of the 'pivot' foot towards the skating foot-- is that really 'twist the knee of the pivot foot away from the skating foot ( in the direction you're heading)' ? And, I get the swing the arms towards the pivot side, but does that work out to 'swing to get that initial impulse, then hold the upper body so the skating side's chest is held over the pivot hip?'  

W
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/