You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Best boots for Axel and Doubles? Edea vs Jackson?  (Read 6553 times)

Offline Arwen17

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 889
Best boots for Axel and Doubles? Edea vs Jackson?
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »
I am currently wearing Jackson Freestyle skates from 12 years ago. I purchased them when I was 14 and skated in them for less than a year (made it up to loop jump and camel spin before I quit). I returned to skating in January, so I've been skating in these same skates for almost a year now as an adult. So the skates have now be used for around 1.5 to 2 years grand total.
I am the same weight and height I was at 14 years old. 5'9 and 150lbs
I have all of my single jumps, except axel, and am working hard on getting my axel right now, I'm also working on back-camel, but no flying spins yet.

Since I'm an adult and therefore my foot size will not change, I would like to invest in skates that will last, but at the same time I don't want to "overboot" myself and stall progress.

Currently wearing: Jackson Freestyle womens size 9B, Mark IV blade 10 1/3,  Stiffness rating: 45 (purchased 12 years ago)
These skates have always fit really well, so I'm extremely likely to just stick with Jackson since I know it fits.
My feet are definitely not narrow, but neither are they super-wide. They are the average B. If Riedell is narrower than Jackson in the toebox that wouldn't be good.
I'm also very interested in the Edea skates because they look so sexy! :P But I know "looks" don't matter, comfort and support is what matters!

I purchased the Jackson skates (with the blade pre-attached) from the internet when I was a kid. I was lucky they fit well without any adjustments because no one around here knows how to adjust size or mount blades or anything.

I plan to be in a big city in a few weeks that has a skate shop stocked with Jackson, Riedell, Edea, etc and they will size your foot, mount blades, do heat-molding etc. So this is a great time to find out what Edea feels like and what my "true" size is since I've never been sized by a professional or worn any skate other than Jackson.

My skates have creases, but aren't fully broken down yet. I don't really notice anything on jumps, but I do often feel like I want more support in my camel spins. I'm often re-tightening the laces after too many camel spins. I'm crappy about getting the laces tight enough, but if the boot was stiffer, maybe it wouldn't matter as much?

I think skaters can learn axel and early double jumps with just a Jackson Freestyle (stiffness rating 45), but would a stiffer boot help or hurt me? It is better to underboot a bit (to develop stronger muscles) or overboot a bit (to make skates last longer)? 
(my coach says she thinks I would be fine in boots rated for double jumps, so I've already got an OK from her, whatever I decide to do.)

Jackson or Edea?
Which Jackson would you recommend for my current axel attempts and my future doubles?
Which Edea would you recommend?
Would Ice Flys be too much? (Everyone is in love with those skates lol. Great marketing.)

I have read mixed reviews about Edea (some people come to hate them, some love them). Any good stories or horror stories about these skates? I'm willing to put down the money, but I don't want to waste money buying something I will end up hating. Will Edea's high level skates last longer? If I have to put down that kind of money every 2 years because they wear out too quickly, that's too much.
I like the idea of Edea's "lighter" skates, but I read about horror stories about keeping the laces tied or having too much flexibility in the ankle. While I never tie very tight at the top of my skate, I want lots of support in the "hinge area" of the foot. Whenever I'm retying the laces on my current skates, it's because I'm desiring more support in that hinge area for camel spins or jumps.

I have no real opinion about blades. I just generally choose whatever is considered a "normal choice" for the boot I going to buy. But I'm open to suggestions for blades as well. :)

Offline Jf12

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: Best boots for Axel and Doubles? Edea vs Jackson?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:34:48 PM »
If Edeas ended up working out for you, Ice Flys wouldn't be too much boot for someone your size.  I see many adults working on axel who are really happy with them.  I'm in Pianos and I'm an adult working on only double lutz, and I'm shorter than you.  However do not expect that they will last longer because they're rated for a higher level than what you're doing.  From experience and what others in similar situations say, they actually break down a little quicker than other boots. 

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
Jackson and Edea have very different lasts.  The best boot is the one that fits your foot the best with the least adjustments.

Although it's tempting, it's better to get boots that are right for you right now, and replace them as needed.  You'll have to try them on to see if the stiffness is right for you. I'm in Risport Dance, which are fine for me, am in my 5th season (I don't jump anymore, but am very hard on my skates).  They're starting to tell me that they're tired.  Its not worth being in boots that are so stiff you can't break them in.  Especially considering the potentiality for injury.

I have heard that Edeas break down very quickly.  Plus you really do need to have a tech near you who knows how to mold them.  Heat molding doesn't work with them- different boot material technology.

It's not much help, but boot preferences are so individual.  As for blades, I was doing 2S's startinf 2T and flying spins back in the day in my professionals.  I've recently switched to Ultima's version of the gold seal.  I like them, but don't see that much difference (since I'm no longer jumping, I presume) than the profs, especially when considering the price.  I do like the grip I get with the honed blades though. In those days, a lot of people in my rink moved up to Phantoms when they were at my level.  I think people on this forum are liking the Eclipse line, but not that many are in them.  My US tech likes the Ultima because of the quality control.  MUCH better than JW/MK. What does your coach say?

Good luck choosing!

Offline Arwen17

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:18:47 PM »
If Edeas ended up working out for you, Ice Flys wouldn't be too much boot for someone your size.  I see many adults working on axel who are really happy with them.  I'm in Pianos and I'm an adult working on only double lutz, and I'm shorter than you.  However do not expect that they will last longer because they're rated for a higher level than what you're doing.  From experience and what others in similar situations say, they actually break down a little quicker than other boots.

That may be a dealbreaker then. If the skates are super-expensive, but have a much shorter life in them than another brand, it's not worth it. Mind you I'm imagining the skate breaking down in less than 4-5 years. My Jackson Freestyles seem to be breaking in 2-3 years. Are all skates like this? Do any skates last 5 years? I skate around 7-10 hours a week, but I'm only doing singles, not triples!

Offline Jf12

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »
How long a boot will last depends on the person and how hard you are on your skates, and if you skate almost every day.  I will probably get new boots in 6 months or so and I've had them for just over a year.  I also skate 10 hours a week. 

I don't think edeas last that much shorter than other boots - maybe in the ballpark of 20% shorter lifespan??  The other side of the same coin is that the break in period is also less.  There are things you can do also to lengthen the life of any boots, including letting them dry completely in between uses, and sealing leather sole boots.  I have to say a boot lasting 5 years is kind of rare for someone who skates as much as you do.  I would expect you to break down any new boots in a similar time as your freestyles - they'll be stiffer but you will also be doing more and have deeper knee bend than when you first started.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:43:04 AM »
Are you in North America?  If so, Jackson will be noticeably more cost effective, especially if you go with Ultima blades.  I used to skate in Risport and I saved at least a couple hundred dollars by switching to Jackson with Ultima blades.  The cost of the blade is a huge part of it.  For some people, the fit of edea is great enough to be worth the cost.  But for me, I just can't justify the cost when Jackson fits me well and I'm happy with them. 

Also the breakdown is noticeable.  Many people really like Edea - they find them comfortable, etc.  But the one complaint that is consistent out in my area is that they feel less supportive and they break down quicker.  So you'll spend that money to buy again rather quickly.  Now, for some people, the boot works well enough for them that this is worth it.  You'll just have to decide if it's worth it for you.  If you're in an area where you don't have a skating shop and would need to make a special trip for new skates, that might be something else to consider.

Offline Arwen17

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »
UPDATE (10/13): 
Here's what I learned after cornering a few of the girls who do wear Edea at my rink. 
They said there was an adjustment period, but it wasn't that bad. They said it does feel loose in the ankle, but that's the way it supposed to be and you eventually get used to it. 
My coach said that Jackson redesigned their boots with a higher heel etc to be more like the Edea skates so since my Jackson boots are from 12 years ago, I'll still have to get used to the new version of Jackson anyway. So she said if I want Edea, and it doesn't feel bad when I try them on, there's no reason to stay with Jackson since I'll have to adjust anyway.   
My coach is going to try to find out if the Edea and Jackson reps will be at regionals in Nashville because that's a much shorter drive for me and that would allow me to get fitted by a "pro".   
She also knows someone who can put the boot and blade together for me once I make up my mind! Yay!!!!   
She thinks I should just go for the Edea Chorus if I decide on Edea. And the other girls who already wear Edea IceFly/Piano said the boots don't last any longer than any other skate, even if the skate is above your level like Ice Fly, Piano, etc. AKA there's no reason to buy skates that expensive until your skating level requires it. Seems like they think Chorus is for beginning doubles and Ice Fly or Piano for later doubles like flip, lutz, axel since no one at my rink does triples.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 01:05:54 AM »
Do any skates last 5 years? I skate around 7-10 hours a week, but I'm only doing singles, not triples!

No, you should expect to get new skates every 1-2 years. 

I only do singles and I recently wore out boots that were "for triple jumps" in just six months.   But I am a bit heavier than you and my stroking is quite forceful. 

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 09:09:28 AM »
FWIW, I know some people at my rink who bought Ice Flys when they were doing *half* jumps and they were fine. A waste of money if you ask me, but if they can afford it, why not?

There's a consensus though that Ice Flys are as comfy as sneakers.