You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Spin Trainers  (Read 15108 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Spin Trainers
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of using spin trainers unless you're working with an off-ice coach, at least to get started.  I don't think they hurt anything, but unless you use them correctly, there's no benefit, imo.

I was talking to someone last week who said that, even though she doesn't skate often, she still practices backspins in the kitchen while wearing socks.  Me too!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline SillyAdultSkater

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 82
  • Cleverly disguised as an adult.
    • CheapSkate
Re: Spin Trainers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:24:50 AM »
I had a skate spinner and I got rid of it. My problems are on the approach, not balance/position/core/etc, and you can't train the approach.
_██_
(ಠ_ృ)   Good day sir.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
I was talking to someone last week who said that, even though she doesn't skate often, she still practices backspins in the kitchen while wearing socks.  Me too!

I can do a sit change sit on the kitchen floor, wearing socks. It's great fun. Doing backspins on the floor is a good way to become at-ease with the position, too.

I once tried doing flying spins wearing socks. Tried a death drop and smacked onto the floor. After a moment, my dad called from the other room "Can you still move?"
Moral of the story: don't practice flying spins off ice.

I've heard that spin trainers can actually mess up your on-ice spins because of the difference in balance. Don't know if it's true.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »
Digging up this old thread :) I was recently given a spinner, a metal one. My coach showed me how to use it and made sure that I would practice on it every day.

My problems are pretty much everywhere in spins- approach, sweet spot, balance, core position, et cetera. I can definitely feel my body getting out of alignment and my balance being lost while on the spinner. I also have the same open-hip crossing foot problems on the spinner as I do on the ice, so that's something I can work on.

Also, if I drop my heel while on the spinner I instantly stop, because my heel catches the floor. I drop my heel a lot when spinning. On camel spins, sit spins, back sit, backspins, dropping my heel causes the spin to spin in wide circles or three-turn onto the wrong edge. On scratch, rocking from heel to toe causes traveling. So if I can learn to never drop my heel while spinning on the spinner, it should transfer to ice... right?

Since my coach thinks it'd benefit me, I see no harm with going ahead and practicing on it everyday.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »
This isn't a "how to" video, it's just a sales promotional come-on, but it's pretty cool to watch these kids spin off-ice like this:

http://figureskating.about.com/od/figureskatingvideos/youtube/skatespinner.htm

There are some instructions for use, in pdf format, on this page:
http://www.pro-balance.fi/figure_skating.html

Pro-Balance also has a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3d3_uxhxt8
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
Just adding this on - one of my friends at the rink bought a spin trainer / spinner and it came with some rudimentary tips and directions.  Nothing major, but here's what they said on the sheet:

• Doesn't spin freely by hand; the bearings are lubricated with a lithium-based lubricant.
• Works best when you place full body weight on it.
• Wear gym shoes or socks.

Best way to practice:
• Place the BALL of your foot in the CENTER of your spinner and keep your heel up an inch or two to simulate the skate heel.
• Using the SPINNER flat-footed is easier, but not correct.  (They gave an illustration of proper foot position.)

• DO NOT GET THE SPINNER WET, BECAUSE THE STEEL BEARINGS WILL RUST!!! After drying, spray with a light lubricant.
• IF DIRT OR DUST GETS BETWEEN THE DISCS, IT MUST BE BLOWN OUT WITH FORCED AIR.

NB: These instructions are for the two-plate metal spinner.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 02:30:50 PM »
Dd loves hers.  Helpful or not, she uses it all the time.  Better than buying a video game!

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »
It is best to buy one major brand (Gold Medal) from a store, so you can be sure it rotates smoothly. Most of the ones I tried didn't.

I'm not good enough to use them. I tried. My coach says you need to already be a very well centered spinner to use them - they aren't for beginners. Make sure you have room to be thrown safely a fair distance away from the spinner.

Do I have this right: The formal requirement in figure skating is that you should not spin in place, as the spin trainers push you to - you are supposed to glide on an edge, around a small circle, with your spinning center offset a couple inches or so sideways from the point of contact? That's what my coach wants me to do.

Perhaps on a Bally or Everlast "twist board", which is larger, one could place the foot offset from the spinning center, like in a real spin? I haven't tried one.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 05:47:41 PM »
Is there a specific style that would work best for me? I have backspin pull in issues. I enter well, spin well...hold the outside edge, but when I pull my foot in, it goes to the right of my left leg, not crossing over. When I do crossover, I turn my leg out like in ballet, which my coach does not like.  I can't spin in socks, S I turn out...the ballet is ingrained (ironically in ballet, I have terrible turnout).

So is there a spinner style that would best for this?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Spin Trainer Videos
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 07:13:56 PM »
Videos of skate spinners in use:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SkateSpinnerCanada

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
I saw this on the web and wanted to preserve it for posterity:

Off-ice spinning:

There are companies that sell spin trainers. You'll be able to find their ads in such skating magazines as those given to members of ISI [Ice Skating Institute] and the USFSA [United States Figure Skating Association]. On the Internet you can look for figure skating pro shops and links and will locate reasonably priced tools to help you spin.

The first type of spin trainer is a plastic rectangle about the size of a large ladies' shoe. On the bottom is a strip of curved plastic which resembles the rocker on the blade; only it's a lot wider. When using this skate spinning device, it's a good idea to invest in a square or circle of plywood about 2 to 4 feet in width and length. This will keep you from traveling too much in your spins, but it will also save the finish on your floor as the plastic device can cause scratches. Also, the spin trainer doesn't work on carpeting. When doing basic spins, you can wear slippers, shoes or socks, as it doesn't really matter. You will want to be in a clear area so that you don't crash into any furniture or slam into walls. If you have no room, try using it in a garage or outside on an asphalt or concrete surface.

The second type of spin trainer is slightly more expensive, but you can use it on any surface. It's made of rubber-covered steel with ball bearings and a solid base that won't slip when in use. Slightly larger and heavier than the plastic spinning device, this spin trainer is very easy to use. There are many skaters who claim that spin trainers are helpful and others who don't think they benefit their spinning. If you are considering investing in one, the cost is about $25-$35, but if you know of someone who can loan you theirs, then you can determine whether you want to buy one or not.

Economy spin trainer:

You can make your own spin trainer in seconds. All you need is a paper plate! You can also spin in a pair of heavy socks. Keep in mind that this is only for learning balance in a spin, and that you won't achieve too many revolutions.

Source: http://www.essortment.com/ice-figure-skating-tips-2-basic-spins-43623.html

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 11:15:02 AM »
I have an under the foot spinner with a rocker. I found it pretty useless for actual spins. It is very hard to simulate the movement on ice.   I use it more for balancing and holding positions. It is great for combination spin positions.  I also worked my silver moves spirals on it with strapped on ankle weights.  I also use it for  various turns, but more from the point of having correct arm and upper body position. 

It is extremely slippery on hardwood, so for me the best surface was to buy one of those thin hard rubber backed front door mats and put it on the hardwood floor with my spinner on it. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »
I would never have thought about using a spinner for spirals.  How did you use it and what purpose does it serve?  (ie. helps with balance on transitions, etc?)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
My spinner has a rocker, so unless the body  is balanced, there is quite a bit of instability and wobbling, so it helps form muscle memory for my body to be over the "skating" leg.   I had an issue of getting into the spiral position quickly, so it also helped me with that motion.  Finally, the controlled lowering can be also achieved (I was aiming for the pendulum motion between the upper body and the leg).  I suppose, you can do the same training on a small balance ball as well, but since I had the spinner, I put it to good use.

Also, I use it for training camel position (knee bend and slow rise, while keeping the upper body position stationary without wobbling)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »
Oh, yours is like a balance board or half-round foam roller.  That's a great idea!

I have the square metal disc spin trainer that only turns around - it doesn't "rock."  That's why I didn't understand.  I do use it for three turns as well as spins.

I always like to find new ways to use tools we already own.  Some people are using the spinners to do jump rotation training, for example.

Great tip, thanks!

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »
I don't have a spinner but I sometimes practice spirals on a wobble cushion. I must try doing a camel entrance on it! I tend to kick too much trying to enter a camel spin and hit my toe pick and stumble onto the other foot, so this may well help! Thanks!  ;D

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 03:16:08 PM »
Here is the kind of spinner that I have.  Edea now sells them too in all kinds of colors.   I saw videos of people spinning in a lot of positions on them, but it is INCREDIBLY hard to do.

http://www.skatespinner.ca/about.html

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 05:25:48 PM »
Found a newish video on YouTube - I like the handheld ball they incorporated into the exercises.  Obviously, the demonstrator is an experienced skater in addition to being accustomed to this spinner. (Spinner ja Jame Balancer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=61&v=PoapimcLa5Q

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 01:59:32 PM »
I like the angle of this Edea Trainer Spinner video's footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIv8KJSNy6I