You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Changing coaches  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Sk8gurl3

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Changing coaches
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »
My 16 yo DD wants to switch coaches soon but not clubs. DD is very happy at her club but for the past 6 mos. or so,not so happy with her coach. The coach is excellent and has a great reputation, but she definitely has her favorite skaters and sometimes almost seems dismissive to others including dd. DD is a good athlete and is at novice mif and fs level and competes regionally but not nationally like a couple of this coach's other students. Lately dd has been complaining that the coach has not seemed as interested in her as she did 2 years ago and dd is frustrated. I've told dd to seriously think this through and talk to her coach first before looking for a new one. She is in a high profile skating club and I don't want her to be perceived as being difficult. Should I have a sit down meeting with coach and dd or just let dd handle it? I also don't want to be perceived as a "difficult" parent either. I have seen other parents in the club become labeled as "difficult" when they switch coaches. It seems to be a tricky situation. DD seems to be at a crossroads right now with her training and I'm not sure why. I just would hate to see her make the wrong decision. Thanks in advance!

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: Changing coaches
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:13 PM »
DD is only 16.  I think you should sit down with DD and scribe her feelings, concerns, and issues down and then the two of you should sit down with the coach.  Let your daughter take more of the lead role in the discussion unless she starts to get emotional, then step in. 
These are always tricky situations, so good luck.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Changing coaches
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »
We had a long thread about this last year. I summarized it in this post.
http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,1623.0.html
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/