You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Lace bite or tongue burn?  (Read 2419 times)

Offline im_sk8_mad

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Lace bite or tongue burn?
« on: February 02, 2017, 02:59:36 AM »
I've had my skates for several years so they're fully broken in. In summer i wear super thin sockettes under my boots and in winter i wear skating tights under my boots. Ive been doing this ever since i started skating. Recently i started getting a tongue burn on my left outside of my ankle, but its a bit above my ankle, more where the top of the skate is. Its usually fine for half hour, but then i start to feel the rub/burn, and the next day there is a distinct red line where the tongue of my boot sits. It sort of feels like its pinching. Ive read about lace bite and my understanding is that it feels like a sharp pain throughout the foot because of compressing tendons, i dont have this sharp pain, it feels more pinching. Is there anything i can do to relieve this alittle? It came out of nowhere, and i havent changed anything, not new socks, not new boots, not new pants that i wear over the top, i dunno why this started happening. Does anyone have any advice?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Lace bite or tongue burn?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:48:48 AM »
Bunga ankle sleeves will protect your ankles.

The edge of your boot tongue is pinching you.  You may simply need to adjust the placement of the tongue when you tie the boots.  It could also be that the tongue or the boot is worn out.  You can buy replacement tongues.  It's hard to say for sure without close inspection of the boot.

It might be time to visit a boot expert in person.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:28:59 AM »
Inspect the lining of your tongue.  These days most tongues are lined with a spongy foam material (exceptions apply).  As the foam ages, it usually loses resiliency, and you end up tightening the laces to compensate.  Overall result is the tongue digging in to your ankle or shin.  Also, some foams become brittle as a result of age and exposure to sweat and skin oils.  You end up with a crusty surface that digs in.

One option is to have a pro shop replace the foam.  But this is typically pricey ($60+ in my area), and worth it only if there's plenty of life left in your boots otherwise (and assuming the boots were not el cheapo to begin with).  Also, check around as to who does this properly.  I had it done by a well-regarded pro shop in my area.  They did do a good job; unfortunately, they used a low-grade foam (like packing foam) that fell apart after only 6 mos.  Make sure they use a high-grade foam.  Some manufacturers will also do it, but that means you'll be without boots for a while.

As suggested previously, an ankle gel sleeve can also help.  A cheaper alternative to Bunga is Silipos (about half the price of Bunga).  The Silipos works well, and is robust.  However, it does not breathe, it collects sweat, and you should wash and dry it after every use [I believe that is also true of Bunga, but I have not personally used Bunga; someone else please chime in to confirm.].

If you don't want to use a gel sleeve, you can make a tongue liner pad to slip in between the tongue and the affected portion of your ankle or shin.  I've have good success with thin Poron foam sheet, both sides lined with moleskin.   I'd suggest you use the ultra soft (also called very soft) firmness foam.  I'd start with 1/8" thick foam.  Very compliant, robust, and low maintenance.

ETA:  Not sure of your usage of "lace bite"; but not of consequence.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »
If it really is the tongue, there at least used to be a device called LaceVice.

But the manufacturer website

http://lacevice.com

doesn't  - maybe that is temporary?

I've not tried it, but one of my favorate skate techs carried it in his store.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
Check the skate's tongue.  The edges dry out and will rub as you flex to skate.  You can use fine-grade sandpaper or an emery board to soften up the edges if they're hardened.  That might solve the problem.

Gel sleeves make the skate fit more tightly, which is good if it's now a little broken down - the padding compresses and you lose that tight fit over time.  However, if the skates already fit tightly, gel sleeves can make them feel "too tight," so try them on first. 

You can also try a bit of athletic tape to either cover the rough spot on the tongue or the rub spot on your calf. 

Lace bite hurts inside and doesn't have any obvious external abrasions; I've seen skaters with bruises from the pinching.  Gel sleeves (or duct tape) will help that problem.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 01:36:58 AM »
With wear and pressure the tongue usually moves to one side (commonly to the outside of the ankle).   Some manufacturers put hooks on the tongue to keep it in place, but I find it still slides with time.  This may be why the sudden issue.  Also, like others have said, the rubber cushion may have worn off and the leather is rubbing you. 

Offline im_sk8_mad

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 05:16:58 AM »
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I tried some of the bunga pads and i didnt like them, they made my skates feel WAY too tight. I had a look at the padding on my tongue and it seems to look ok. I was tempted to put tape down the edge of the tongue that rubs, but i didnt wanna ruin my skates by putting tape on them, instead i just decided it would be easier to just tape a strip onto my leg where it rubs, and put my boots over the top. This seems to work perfectly well, and im happy to do this on a long term basis while im skating. I have also noticed that my skate tongues do tend to shift to the outside, but taping the area seems to fix this problem. So thankyou everyone for your suggestions, they were all very helpful  :) :) :)