You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Advice on boot width  (Read 3636 times)

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
Advice on boot width
« on: October 02, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »
I'm finally buying new boots (Riedell Silver Stars), but I've been measured to two different widths by two fitters and once myself. I know for a fact I need a split-width boot, as I am perfectly comfortable in an A heel but miserable with the ball also being an A. I (and a friend) and a tech at the Ellenton rink measured me to a B ball. The tech at RDV measured me exactly between a B and a C. I can't really ask any techs at my home rink because they aren't real comfortable doing anything on figure skates beyond basic sharpening. I will be asking my coach for her thoughts.

So I am here to ask for any advice you have - given the fact that I am miserable in a currently too-small ball and am pretty much perfectly between a B and a C, which would be better for me? I like a snug fit, but not tight. I'm leaning towards the B, just because the boot can always be punched out, but I'd like advice from other skaters before I actually order them.  :)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Advice on boot width
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:30:07 AM »
Having always always suffered with skates that are too tight at the front, I'm very curious to see what others say and how your decision eventually works for you.

I have been measured into jackson at AA heels. Regarding the front, my fitter said "you really are a perfect C, but could get away with a B". For my feet I had decided that when the time comes I'm getting the wider boot because: 1- I have never ever been able to get boots punched out enough...there are limits. Now I have them laced all weird over the ball. 2- my feet deffo swell over the course of my sessions...and on competition/ workshop days when I've had to spend up to 3 hours in them.....omg the pain. And 3-my bunion strongly advises me to "go wide"...

I am oh-so looking forward to the day when I have skates that fit both my heels and ball at the same time.  Your logic behind going narrower is interesting. I also am used to snug boots (obviously!!) And wonder if the Cs could possibly be too wide before foot swelling. They felt good in the shop...just flopsy mopsy in the heels..... There is also more likelihood that a B could be punched out to a comfortable width....hmmmm let me finish with a question....

Besides wearing socks or gel sleeves, what can one do to compensate for extra width in the front? Inserts under that part of the foot? Iyo which direction is it better to err in??

Online tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »
 You could have the skate tech send measurements and tracings of your feet to Riedell and have them decide what would work best.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 09:41:06 PM »
I like going a little large. But I am willing to make my own pair of insoles to compensate for that, to make things perfect. If you don't feel like working too hard, too large is not a good idea. Beyond that I can't help you.

I wish boot makers would publish properly scaled pictures of their insoles for each size that we could all place our feet on top of. That isn't everything - fit is 3 dimensional - but it would be a great start.

Offline LunarSkater

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 08:49:57 PM »
Update: I went with what Riedell calls a semi-custom boot. Silver Stars with a split width. Deciding on size was an absolute ordeal. Riedell never responded to my email so I ended up having to call and talk to a tech. It wasn't the most helpful of conversations (I was at work without my skates to answer questions about), but it did remind me to double-check my heel measurements. It was a good thing, too, given my current boots are actually a 2A/3A. And I've never had an issue with the heel width. Two conversations with three coaches later and I have hopefully arrived at my correct size: C/3A.

I ordered them this past weekend and now I'm in the post-purchase panic mode of 'did I get the right size or did I just spend a lot of money on non-refundable boots?'.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 09:10:25 PM »
Split width is absolutely the best single modification. It's made a huge difference in how my boots feel and I can do things that I couldn't do before. The split lasting also changed the length, putting the rocker further back and not under my toes anymore. STILL trying to learn how to find that stinking sweet spot since I don't have to go up on my toes anymore.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline LunarSkater

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 07:01:44 PM »
Ooh, changing the sweet spot hadn't even occurred to me. Thanks for the heads up. I hope you find yours soon.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 10:37:27 PM »
Personally, I like to exagerate the sweet spot, to make it easier to find.

I don't just make sure the rocker radius changes abruptly there. I also create a slight direction change (angle) there, which makes it easier to feel.

Offline LunarSkater

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
My boots came in! Now I'm getting my blade switched from my current pair to the new pair. It's not exactly the greatest time for it (holiday show's in three and a half weeks), but I'm hoping my feet will be rejoicing even with the breaking in period. I'll post a report here after I've skated on them a bit.

Offline Loops

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 11:15:52 PM »
Yay you!!!! Enjoy and I hope you have the experience you're hoping for. Can't wait for your report.

Offline LunarSkater

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »
I have now skated in my new boots three times: on an almost empty freestyle session, a stroking class, and my group class/holiday show rehearsal.

Putting Them On
I put them on for the first time and was absolutely both delighted and befuddled. My feet didn't hurt. All I'd done was slide them in and lace them. I dreaded putting on my old boots due to the pain. I felt like I was wearing clouds with these. They seemed to fit perfectly the instant I put them on. The width of the ball was perfect. I'm using a tip I found on Agnes' blog about hair ties over the top hooks until the skates are broken in.

Skating
I skated for 45 minutes the first time on temporary mountings. Did a lot of edgework and basic skills to get accustomed to the feel. I skated very tentatively because not only did I have on the new boots, I'd forgotten to put on my kneepads, which I realized after I stepped onto the ice and my knees felt colder than normal. My coach did a fantastic job on the placement of the blade; I didn't need anything adjusted. They felt much better than on my old boots.

Second time out was a less tentative and more along the process of breaking them in. I didn't do my usual Saturday morning freestyle. Instead I spent half an hour lacing and unlacing them to see what lacing pattern I liked and what I needed. (My old boots needed a Very Specific pattern.) Even so, I ended up having to re-tie the left one five minutes into stroking class because my heel was popping out on the back crossovers. I was much slower than normal and struggling to find my balance point (posture issues), but good.

For class and show rehearsal, I did decently. I have all my jumps. I felt entirely supported, which was an amazing feeling. Finding my rocker was actually slightly easier for spins. I'm having a problem getting into sit spins because my boot is so stiff.

Issues
Heels: My biggest issue. I keep coming out slightly, which honestly wasn't a surprise. 3As are still slightly too big for me. I had to pad out my old skates and I'm wearing the pads in these. I'm thinking about baking them to see if I can form them a bit closer around my heel to help. If not, more padding.

Ankle coverage: I need to get a gel sleeve for around the leg where the boots rub, as they're higher and hit differently. Need a bit of coverage there so my shins won't bruise. I'm already wearing Bunga Pads Boot Bumper, but they don't come high enough.

Lacing Pattern: Still figuring this one out. I like the lacing style my coach did, just have to play with it a bit until I'm happy.

Initial Impressions
Overall, after about two and a half hours on the ice, I feel like I made the right choice in my boots. My feet do not hurt while wearing them aside from the normal breaking-in process. They do not hurt after I've taken them off. I am supported in my movements and in my jumps. I'm happy.

Does anyone have any other advice or suggestions?

Offline Loops

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »
Nice. Glad they're comfortable. I'm a fan of silipos gel sleeves. I just started wearing two over each heel (slippage is starting and the sleeves are old and thinning...). I started wearing them when my previous skates were chewing up my ankles around the top of the boot. Never looked back.

Good luck with the break in! I'm sure you'll get everything sorted soon. Enjoy!!!!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »
I got a new pair of Riedell Bronze Stars last summer.  I found the tongues to be excruciating to break in (my previous Bronze Stars had the spongy tongues).  I made the mistake of wearing them too long on the first few outings and bruised my shins so deeply that I was in agony for over a month.  Wearing a bunga pad, doubled over at the top of the tongue, helped a little but I should have done that BEFORE I had bone bruises.  But other than that, the boots fit great and I had no issues with foot fit.  I no longer needed the bunga pads after a couple of months.  I still have visible dents in my shins, though, 18 months later.

On the heels - I got the same size as my previous Bronze Stars, so I knew I had the right split width (A/2A).  I also was dismayed that my heels felt like they were slipping, especially since they were heat molded before I ever skated in them.  However, another skater told me to give it some time - I just needed to allow the heel pocket to open up a little so I could seat my heel all the way into the back of the skate.  Sure enough, they fit great now.  I couldn't tell you how long that took because of the tongue ordeal (and a new blade nightmare that was unrelated to the fit of the boots).  I hope the same happens for you.

I love mine now - I hope you will love yours soon, too!  Good luck.