You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bras for low cut back leotard  (Read 7518 times)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Bras for low cut back leotard
« on: April 10, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »
Hello!  I know this topic has been breached before, but I am looking for opinions on a type of bra to get. I have a costume I'm wearing for the spring show in 3 weeks (eek!) that is low cut in the back. I am a little busty, but a simple sports bra holds me in. I need to find some sort of bra with a clear back that I can wear that won't be obvious while I'm out on the ice. I was looking at this.

http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/C3683.aspx

Has anyone had any experience with it???

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Bras for low cut back leotard
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »
I find that the bras with the clear straps show and don't look too pleasant.   If you have to do that anyway, I'd be more apt to wear a skin colored leotard so that your back is an even color, rather than a shiny strap across it.

Try a search for "backless bra" and see if you can find one that straps around your waist (not a convertible strapless bra).  I have one that is 16 years old now and LOVE it.  (It also has convertible straps so I can wear it regular, halter, one strapped etc.  Regular underwire bra, so the same support as normal.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
I find that the bras with the clear straps show and don't look too pleasant.   If you have to do that anyway, I'd be more apt to wear a skin colored leotard so that your back is an even color, rather than a shiny strap across it.

I agree with this... and I would recommend going to a dance store to investigate both dance bras and nude leos (and whether you might want tank style, short sleeve, or long sleeve).

My experience is that if you are bustier, you will probably not find a dance bra that you like (IMO they're not very supportive and are more for modesty than anything), and it doesn't make sense to order one to find that out.  Your best option may be a well fitting nude colored bra with a nude leo over that, even with a low back dress.  On the ice it will stand out less than a shiny bra strap, especially if you can find a leo that matches your skin tone well.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »
My DD wears that one skating. The strap, if it's the same, isn't "shiny" it's sort of dull and textured, and it blends in nicely; you really don't notice it.  In terms of the - mechanics - it supports and holds quite nicely. The only thing I'd mention, the beige part "wraps" a bit onto her back, so it can be visible if you've got a really backless outfit.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
I found a clear back strap one but it looked awful under my dress.  Try a sticky bra.  They are pretty good.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:05:49 PM »
This may be getting into TMI territory here...but does everyone wear a bra when they skate? I wear one when I'm practicing but not under dresses in competition because I'd need something either backless, strapless or both. I have what I think is a pretty nice strapless bra that does great for dancing at weddings, but as soon as I bring my arms through for the first waltz jump...it's not good.

I'm about average, size-wise, not flat by any means but not large either. I don't feel like it's overly obvious that I'm not wearing a bra, but after reading this I'm feeling self-conscious.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »
This may be getting into TMI territory here...but does everyone wear a bra when they skate? I wear one when I'm practicing but not under dresses in competition because I'd need something either backless, strapless or both. I have what I think is a pretty nice strapless bra that does great for dancing at weddings, but as soon as I bring my arms through for the first waltz jump...it's not good.

I'm about average, size-wise, not flat by any means but not large either. I don't feel like it's overly obvious that I'm not wearing a bra, but after reading this I'm feeling self-conscious.

DD's dressmaker builds bras into competition dresses that have sufficient support for her 32B's.  Off-the-rack dresses get a bra.  My husband refuses to countenance the idea of her skating with "the girls" swinging around, bouncing, or "showing through due to cold".  I agree with him. So does her coach.

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:05:31 AM »
Some dresses have enough support for the bust, and some don't. I was able to fit a Motionwear dress which had a low back, but the dress had enough support similar to that of a bra's. My current dress is second-hand custom-made, and I need to wear a bra under it.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:52:13 AM »

I'm super selfconscious in competition but couldn't care less in practice. I do wear a bra at both but I am much more careful with my competition bras to make sure NOTHING is going to be showing that shouldn't. I'm a 12B Australian size which isn't that huge, but it's big enough that I am very aware of them when I have a skating dress on. For whatever reason, my boobs ALWAYS look huge in a skating dress.  ;D
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
Well I'm modifying a leotard into a dress. I'm thinking of going to the local dance store to see if they sell bras so I can try one on, or a nude low cut back leo to go under to tame my tummy a little bit.

I was going to order a clear back bra but the website add to cart button isn't working...

And I have tried sticky bras on many occasions and they never go big enough to cover me with any sort of feeling of security. They literally fall right off of me to the point I just throw them away because I can't return them and they're a waste of money for me.

Offline Doll

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 09:48:34 PM »
What about having a bra sewn in and adding pretty criss-cross straps to the back to hold it together at the back?  Like this but you could go simpler with just a simple X:

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 12:28:57 AM »
I wear a bra with a clear back and straps.  They are under nude mesh though, so I can't really see the straps in the pictures.  I don't know if that would hold true for a completely backless dress; I'm not huge in the chest, but I am a full C cup and would never go braless.  I just make sure to get styles that work!

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
I started out with a regular underwire bra, but it wasn't very comfortable when moving around and doing all the activity that happens on the ice, so for me, a sports bra is necessary. Right now I wear an athletic top with a built-in sports bra. I'm not sure what I'll do when I start competing or performing. Any kind of built-in bra would have to go all the way around. If I just sewed bra cups into the front of a skating dress, I don't think it would do much supporting.

For those who want to wear regular bras, they do make these little clips which draw the straps together at the back. It works for under sporty styles or X-backs, where regular bra straps would normally show. I bought a package of four clips for $1. Haven't had the opportunity to use them, yet, but they look like they'll do the trick.