You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ribcap Jackson reviews?  (Read 15551 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Ribcap Jackson reviews?
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »
If you have first hand experiences with Ribcap Jackson, would you kindly comment on comfort, effectiveness, or any pros and cons? It actually looks nice, I wonder if the protection level is comparable to helmets? Honestly I am shocked by the price but it may turn out to a good long-term investment... Thank you in advance!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Ribcap Jackson reviews?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
Ribcap possesses the warming characteristics and the comfort of a classical woolen cap and is optically hardly distinguishable from other caps. On the other hand, the integrated protection-material in the textile shell, which is distinguished by its low weight and viscoelastic characteristics, absorbs shock on impact and as a result reduces the danger of injury. Ribcap protects AND warms – confirmed protection effect 100% – breathable comfortable to wear – 5 different sizes protects little kids heads as well – perfect fit – adjustable chin straps foldable - stowable – lightweight washable – unique: no comparable product on the market protects and warms in many sports, in leisure and for everyday. Materials Outside 50% merino wool / 50% Acrylic Inside Fleece 100% breathable The fabric and the protectors are 100% breathable. It ensures optimal temperature regulation of the head and a perfect wearing comfort. Washable You can wash the Ribcap. Shock absorbers Protectors made of SAF - StructUre TM The protectors are made from a laminate specially developed for Ribcap. With their viscoelastic effects, these shock absorbers are very effective and provide an excellent protection. Important characteristics such as hardness and density can be optimized by the additional attack of high- energy electrodes. They can be set according to requirement. The material of the protectors of StructUreTM has the certification, „Oeko-Tex Standard 100“ for harmful substances (test ZHAO No. 053928).

Pulled the description from here. Potentially it could give too much warmth too if the promotional photos focus on skiing.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 08:41:17 PM »
Hi.  I bought the Jackson Ribcap a few weeks ago, have skated with it 5 times, and love it.  It's not made exclusively, or even primarily, for skiing.  It's to be worn biking, skating, skiing, or in any other cooler weather sport where the person wants a more head protection than nothing at all and yet doesn't want to wear a hard helmet.  It's a really adorable "hat" and looks like a riding helmet a bit.  The chin strap is adjustable in length with velcro and buckles to close.  The "ribs" feel like VERY firm memory foam.  Think of a memory foam pillow in a cold room in winter.  Firm but you can indent it a little with your fingers.  So, no, it's not going to give you the same protection as a hard helmet.  But, I believe it would give enough to prevent a concussion.  I didn't want to wear my ski helmet or one of those full head bike helmets out there.  So, the Ribcap is, for me, the perfect solution.  Warm, fashionable, and protective without looking or feeling like a hockey player.  I don't find it to be too warm for skating.  

The price is a little steep but my head and my way of life are very important to me.  A head injury can be a life changing event and it's just not worth it to go naked.  My second day back on the ice (I've just returned to skating after 30 years off), I saw a woman around my age (40) skating with her kids who slipped and...WHACK!  I saw it and heard a crack when she landed.  And she was practically standing still when it happened.  She was dazed and I helped her off the ice.  She said she felt a lump rising in the back of her and I warned her to please, please be careful and watch out for signs of concussion.  Knock wood, I haven't fallen yet but I know I will at some point.  I pray that I never injure myself but I feel much better and more confident knowing there are firm bands of foam around my skull just in case.

As for sizing, I measured my head and followed the size chart.  I was on the high end of Small. If I could do it again, I might order a Medium because my forehead gets indented from the hat's elastic band which takes hours to fade away.  In fact, I think I can see a faint reminder of it the next day in very bright light.  But, then, I have super sensitive skin and sunglasses do that to my nose as well.  I'm just lucky that way.

So, that's my ramble about the Ribcap.   I'll let you know if, G-d forbid, I ever hit my head and really put it to the test.  Yikes.  Hope that helps!  

Oh, here I am in my Anthracite Jackson Ribcap...

Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »
@slcbelle: At what temperatures do you think is the Ribcap not too warm?

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:06:16 AM »
@slcbelle: At what temperatures do you think is the Ribcap not too warm?

Ooooh...you're asking someone who is always cold. In the rink, I think it's perfect any time.  With a warm head, you might be able to shed a layer on your torso.  The other day I was wearing a long sleeve tee, a lightweight fleece zippy, and my Patagonia down sweater jacket on top.  After 30 minutes, I had to shed the fleece.  Then I was fine and I never once thought that my head was too hot.

Outside, your head might get a little too warm over 55F or 60F.  It depends on the level of exercise intensity and your natural tendency to be warm or cool. 

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:05:40 PM »
 . . .  It depends on the level of exercise intensity and your natural tendency to be warm or cool.  
And on how much hair one has -- with such thick heavy hair, I have trouble wearing any kind of hat without totally overheating. That snug helmet, though very cozy-looking, would make my head explode.   :sweat

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »
And on how much hair one has -- with such thick heavy hair, I have trouble wearing any kind of hat without totally overheating. That snug helmet, though very cozy-looking, would make my head explode.   :sweat

If someone has very thick hair, I'd recommend taking that into account when measuring for fit and maybe go up a size if they're close to the upper end of the size range.  One has to go with their own comfort and priorities.  For me, protection of my skull is paramount.  I'd rather shed layers on my torso and arms to remain cool than leave my head at risk of a concussion or worse.

Even when it's warm outside (>45F) on the ski slopes, I still wear my helment and googles. As warm as my head and face get with that gear, I'm not willing to risk loss of consciousness or eyesight.  I'll pull off layers or get off the slope first.  Same goes for skating for me.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 04:01:52 PM »
I'll let you know if, G-d forbid, I ever hit my head and really put it to the test.  Yikes.  

UPDATE:  Sooooo...I fell yesterday and smacked the backside of my head on the ice HARD.  I was attempting a Mazurka, which scares the &^%$ out of me...hate that scissors motion...when I slipped and fell.  I landed first on my back lower iliac (hip) and then the back of my head went "WHACK".  I'm very pleased to report that I did not feel a thing on my head.  The Ribcap worked!  (My backside hurts like crazy though.)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »
I just ordered another Ribcap in a Medium and will be selling the one in the photo which is a size Small.  My head measures 22".  I should have gone for the Medium in the first place.  If anyone is interested in by the antracite Jackson Ribcap in a small, mine is for sale.  I've worn it since the end of February (4 months) and it's in great condition.  Will sell for $100 with free shipping.  I'll post it to the For Sale section but thought I'd let you know.

Offline eybian

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »
Were you able to order the Ribcap from a vendor in the US or did you order it from Europe?  I'm having a hard time finding online shops that sell it in the US.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »
I think there's only one retailer in the US for Ribcap

http://www.greenskates.com/
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »
My local pro shop stocks a few, and I think they can order others.  (For all I know they get them from greenskates.com, though.)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »
I was at the local shop today and they said they've stopped carrying them, but had a couple on clearance.  So I was able to get a light blue Jackson Ribcap for $50.  (The other two they had were an XS Bjork and a traffic-cone orange Palmer that I didn't even check the size on... )  Now if I can just remember to wear it...

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 08:31:06 AM »
Does anyone know what the protective foam in the Ribcap hats is?  Is it d3o?  If so, I'll probably look into getting a Ribcap.  I have d3o knee pads and padded shorts and from experience can report that those items work as advertised in terms of providing protection during falls.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 08:51:42 AM »
They have some info about it here:  https://www.ribcap.ch/en/headprotection/material/

I wore mine last night for the first time.  Comfortable, but a bit hot- my hair was all sweaty by the end of class, which doesn't usually happen.  No falls, but it certainly feels like it would be better than nothing.  It's a size Small (all they had) and just a little snug; I might think about ordering the Fox (supposed to be cooler) in a medium.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »
I might think about ordering the Fox (supposed to be cooler) in a medium.

Oooooh!  They didn't have the Fox when I bought my Jackson 2 years ago.  Niiiiiiiice!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
I wore mine last night for the first time.  Comfortable, but a bit hot- my hair was all sweaty by the end of class, which doesn't usually happen.  No falls, but it certainly feels like it would be better than nothing.  It's a size Small (all they had) and just a little snug; I might think about ordering the Fox (supposed to be cooler) in a medium.

Update:  I realized that I was also wearing a warmer top than usual that day... tried the Ribcap again with my usual thinner top and had much less of an issue with being too hot.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »
do you guys still like/use your ribcap? I am considering getting one!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 10:34:50 PM »
At the moment I'm trying out the Crasche middie (http://crasche.com/product/crasche-middie-figure-skating).  I'm not sure which I like better.  I think the Crasche headband is a little more aesthetically appealing (I have the one pictured; turns out that the blue spots are really very bright blue!), but I feel like the Ribcap might be better protection.  No actual data to support this, just a gut feel.  The foam on the headband just doesn't feel as "cushiony" as the Ribcap.  The headband is cooler at the top, of course, but I get pretty sweaty under the band- not much ventilation.  The Ribcap might actually be cooler overall.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 10:43:02 PM »
I like the ones that look like a knit hat.  Anyone know where to get it in the US?

I skate indoors in a tank usually.  I get hot easily!  Wonder if it'll be too hot.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
@skategeek the Ribcap looks like it has much more protection too.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 11:02:31 PM »
I got mine from my local shop (on clearance), but they're not stocking them anymore.  They appear to be available here: http://www.greenskates.com

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »
do you guys still like/use your ribcap? I am considering getting one!

I have both the Jackson Ribcap (which I skated in for 2 years) and the Crasche Middie (which I have been wearing for the past 4 or so weeks).  I've only hit my head when wearing the Ribcap and came out of that without even so much as an "ouch".  It protected me perfectly.  I have, knock wood, yet to fall with the Crasche.  Though I think the Crasche offers a good amount of protection, I believe the Ribcap offers excellent protection.  The Ribcap is much warmer.  When I bought it, it didn't come in that new wicking fabric so I have the wool one and my head gets pretty warm in the summer months with it at our rink.  I think I'll be wearing my Crasche when it's warm and my Ribcap when it's hot.  It's nice to have the options.  I like the Ribcap more - the Crashe hurts my head after an hour and theres a sticky pad in the back that keep catching my hair - but, it's nice to have a breeze with the Crasche.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 11:02:06 AM »
Awesome! I ordered the ribcap from green skates. I'm generally a cold person and frequently find my ears cold so hopefully I won't have a problem with being too warm!