You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

On the Ice > Sitting on the Boards Rink Side

Figure Skating -- Quick Q's & A's

<< < (2/16) > >>

AgnesNitt:
Stolen from Wiktionary:
From Michael Chack, an American figure skater whose bronze medal winning performance at the 1993 US National Championships was not broadcast on television because the producers did not think he would win a medal.
Verb
to chack (third-person singular simple present chacks, present participle chacking, simple past and past participle chacked)

(ice-skating) To not broadcast a medal-winning or otherwise memorable or crucial figure skating performance. This only occurs in a live broadcast because the network has to decide which programs to show and which to cut in the interest of time. If a skater is low in the rankings and several big names are set to skate later, that performance may be cut.

My question:
What's a jenkins spiral?

Isk8NYC:
From the ISI Skaters and Coaches Handbook:

--- Quote ---Jenkins or Forward Undercut Spiral

While gliding forward inside on a deeply bent knee, the free hip is held as low as the skating hip, free leg extended to the outside of the circle.  The move is uncaptured for [ISI] Pre-Alpha-Delta and Freestyle levels only.  It is a requirement in Couple 4 and Pair 2 so it cannot be performed below those levels.
--- End quote ---

Along the same lines:  What is a Chinese Arabesque?

sk8Joyful:

--- Quote from: Isk8NYC on September 15, 2010, 08:51:17 PM ---From the ISI Skaters and Coaches Handbook:

Along the same lines:  What is a Chinese Arabesque?

--- End quote ---
from here: http://www.skatejournal.com/turnglide.html

"An arabesque or spiral in which the free leg is bent and the free foot or blade caught with the hand. The free leg may be held at any height."

(Kewl! - I've managed to do this 4 times so far, with my goal of an eventual Biellmann ;D. Off-ice, I can hold Free-blade up to shoulder-blade more often)

What is an "uncaptured move" in competition?

techskater:
An uncaptured move is one in which is not technically on a test or doesn't technically get a point value.  For ISI, I think this entails Bauers and spread eagles as examples.  For IJS it entails bauers, spread eagles, walleys, inside Axels, and so on.

What does the transition mark under IJS entail?

Isk8NYC:
Transitions are one of the five Program Component Scores (PCS) of IJS.  It's also called "Linking Footwork" in some documents.  The other four components are Skating Skills, Performance/Execution, Choreography/Composition, and Interpretation (Timing.)

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/IJS%20Handbook.pdf

If an Adult Silver freeskate program can be a maximum of 2m10s, what's the minimum length?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page