You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dance Sizing  (Read 2038 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Dance Sizing
« on: August 30, 2015, 08:05:21 PM »
I was at BJ's the other day (it's like COSTCO) and I saw the most lovely atheltic pants. I mean, they were just the right length for me, and they had this cute little hem that was made as if it was designed to go over a skate. So I held some in different sizes up to my body, and apparently I wear XXL in dance wear.   :blush:

I mean I couldn't believe it. So I bought a test pair to take home (they're non- returnable) and the XXL fit perfectly! I mean they made my behind look just amazing.  :laugh:

But XXL? I don't know if i can live with that emotionally. I guess I'll go back and buy the other two colors. but yeeesh.  :P

Stupid dance sizing.  >:(
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Dance Sizing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 10:01:23 PM »
This made me laugh, I am working on a sewing project making dresses and other costume parts for a local ice show. Trying to figure out womens sizing in clothing is an absolute nightmare. I have been reading lately of vanity sizing which seems to have taken over the fashion world in the ready to wear market. I think the sanest thing a woman can do is wear what fits properly and pay no attention to size labels.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:44:48 AM »
I fit anything between M-XL and I'm finding that with 'vanity sizing' you really can't trust what 'size' you think you are anymore.

My body has not changed enough in the last 3-4 years to explain why i've dropped two sizes in some brands.. but the brands HAVE changed size ;)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 12:47:30 AM »
I've not changed size in about 15 years. I've got clothes from then which I still wear. But the number they carry is larger than the number I buy today. The best thing I've discovered is that European clothing sizes (rather than UK or US) haven't been affected, so I like international brands as I can quickly find the right size in a store rather than needing to try everything on.
But I do wish they wouldn't adjust the sizing. It's not vanity for me to have to buy a larger size. It just lets me know that I've put on weight and might want to address that. Changing the size just infuriates everyone.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »
Well, I went back to buy some more of the pants (didn't I say they make my butt fantastic!) and they're in L, XL, XXL. Oh, WTF? Anyway, I bought the two cutest pair in L becasue I'm thinning down (my clothes are hanging on me), and one in XL for the transitional phase.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:26:40 PM »
All women feel your pain.  I'm a S, or M, or L.  Depending on the brand and fit.  And the mood of the machine/person that made the item of clothing that day.  :)

As long as it fits, I guess.  Speaking of, TGFL (thank goodness for Lycra).

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:37:50 PM »
All women feel your pain.  I'm a S, or M, or L.  Depending on the brand and fit.  And the mood of the machine/person that made the item of clothing that day.  :)

As long as it fits, I guess.  Speaking of, TGFL (thank goodness for Lycra).

All hail Spandex! The cloth that lets me flex. If I bend, it covers my end, the area most convex .