You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Low Level Program Music Considerations  (Read 3744 times)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Low Level Program Music Considerations
« on: January 07, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »
I'm trying to pick music for my first program and I'm getting a little overwhelmed. I could use a little advice.

The problem hasn't been finding potential music, I've found a lot of pieces that I like. But I don't know what I should take into consideration when picking a piece for an adult pre-bronze level program.

I don't know if a piece will be too fast, or too slow, or too powerful, or too one-note or boring, especially when I listen for what pieces I can cut out and leave in so I can satisfy the time limit. I danced for years and even choreographed a bit, but I don't know what I'm skilled enough to skate to or interpret on ice. I asked my coach for some guidelines but she said it was really my choice, she just has to choreograph it.

While I wouldn't mind specific suggestions for music, what I'm really looking for is a way to evaluate the pieces I like. What musical qualities make a successful backdrop for a beginner's program? What do you look for when picking music for a beginner?
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: Low Level Program Music Considerations
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
I know this isn't along the lines of what you're asking, but I think one of the most important considerations is whether or not you love the music and want to skate to it.  I'm pre bronze level as well.  If I don't love my music, then I don't want to endure the numerous repetitions as I learn the program, then practice it over and over for a year or more.  If you love your music, it will show when you perform.

Good luck finding something you love!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:07:35 PM »
There has to be some sort of change.  When dd does footwork, the music highlights the footwork.  She does jumps on louder parts.  Parts that continue, she does spins.  But yes, you are going to hear it for a year - so love it!

If dd doesn't love it she doesn't skate with the same intensity as when she loves her music.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »
When listening to music see if you can see the skating. As hopskipjump says the music highlights the skating.
For my first program I spent a lot of time listening to music and trying to imagine someone skating to it.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »
For a low level program, first make sure it isn't too fast OR too slow. When you listen to it, think about how you would push into elements, or think about "Hey, that music cue would be great for a jump". If you can't imagine doing something when you listen to it, it may not be right for you. Also make sure there is one change of tempo somewhere so that you can highlight footwork, or a spiral, or some sort of element (plus, this keeps interest in the program). Also, think about what your strengths are as a skater. If you are better at jumps, think about music that can highlight those. Or if it's stroking and inbetween elements, there is music that can accomodate that as well.

But yes, you must LOVE your program. If you get sick of it or hate it, it's very hard to keep your energy up and look like you're having a great time.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 07:52:20 PM »
Take several pieces to the rink that you like and play them over the speaker system (either on your mp3 player or on a cd) and try and interpret them by just skating around.  The one you are most comfortable with should probably be your choice for your first program.  I will say this, with this method, you will know, even if it doesn't make sense at this moment......

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Another idea is to just go to youtube and search for programs at that level.  It is really hard to choose music - esp the first time.  But then you can get a feel for what happens when.

We have been counting on a piece and I can't get it to work right.  So it feels...depressing. 

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:57:30 PM »
For Pre-Bronze I would pick a more lyrical piece that has different dynamics (i.e a faster/slower part or a louder/softer). 

This is what I found: for someone musical (and you are a dancer, so you would be!), it is incredibly hard not to skate on the beat.    The speed and maneuverability is not quite there yet at the PB level- at least they were not for me.  My piece was very lyrical and flowing, so I had time to adjust if I was not along with the music perfectly.

I had a piece of music that I wanted to skate to for a very long time, but elected to keep it for a Bronze program, when I would be more advanced.
Like everyone else said, though- pick a piece that you absolutely love and feel.  You will be working on it for a while and it will get old :-) 

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 06:47:10 AM »
For my first program, I chose a dramatic but slow piece of music. I couldn't skate very fast, and I didn't want my performance to look like I was chasing something. Btw, my music then was "The Swan" by Camille Saint Saens, the final 1:15 minutes  or so(which I later edited for length).

I like music with some climax (not very monotonous), and was lucky to find one that was pretty slow in The Swan.

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »
I like The Swan.  I have that in my section of "violin that sound good in a rink"   

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »
Take several pieces to the rink that you like and play them over the speaker system (either on your mp3 player or on a cd) and try and interpret them by just skating around.  The one you are most comfortable with should probably be your choice for your first program.  I will say this, with this method, you will know, even if it doesn't make sense at this moment......

Yes. This. It almost always works. The other advantage is there are some pieces of music that sound great up close, but when put on the overhead, it sounds terrible. Always bring a few pieces and play them to hear how they will sound in the rink.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
EXACTLY the other point about playing it overhead - some music is great in surround stereo in your car but over tinny rink speakers that someone who's sorta deaf blew out, well,  :nvm:

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
When picking out music for a program, my coach has me pick 3 or 4.  Then we play them while I skate/interpret them.  Then we have a discussion over which ones we both like and why.