You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What constitutes an 'ice hog'  (Read 2281 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
What constitutes an 'ice hog'
« on: June 09, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
You've all experienced this; A skater who hogs a hockey circle for a half hour, or does spins in the same place over and over, or jumps into the same spot for an entire freestyle. But really, most of us don't want to irritate the other skaters. I certainly realize that skating is a better experience if we show respect for another skater. But in your mind, what constitutes 'camping out'?

I think it's about 5 minutes or 5 jumps, then you need to move on and give someone else a chance (understanding that you can come back to a spot after 10 or 15 minutes).

What do you think is good ice etiquette for this situation? How do you handle it?

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
Re: What constitutes an 'ice hog'
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 07:38:55 PM »
I tend to practice things in the same spots, but I keep an eye out for others and move for their patterns/lessons/programs.  I just wish others would pay the same attention.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »
Child that does triple run throughs, stops cd and restarts after every fall while kicking the ice and pouting over under rotated double flip, has double loop-double loop combo in the center and shouts EXCUSE ME or simply MOVE every single time. Because yes I will stop mid spin and move for you because after all you are a future Olympic CHAMPION! I seriously dread getting on the ice with this skater. I would classify someone who knows they are getting in peoples way but doesn't care an ice hog. I think the kids that spin in the lutz corners for an entire session just don't know any better.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:31:59 PM »
On publics where we can only practice in the coned-off center area, some people seem to occupy the whole thing - and skate across my obvious lutz setup.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:58:43 AM »
You've all experienced this; A skater who hogs a hockey circle for a half hour, or does spins in the same place over and over, or jumps into the same spot for an entire freestyle. But really, most of us don't want to irritate the other skaters. I certainly realize that skating is a better experience if we show respect for another skater. But in your mind, what constitutes 'camping out'?

I think it's about 5 minutes or 5 jumps, then you need to move on and give someone else a chance (understanding that you can come back to a spot after 10 or 15 minutes).

What do you think is good ice etiquette for this situation? How do you handle it?

I think I must be more tolerant. 5min or 5 jumps in a spot doesn't annoy me if they're aware of what's going on around them. I sometimes hog a corner for 10-15min because it's the only spare bit of ice. I just move for programs, dance and move patterns. What's really hogging are the people who have "their" hockey circles. It's like there's a little section of the rink which is just cut off for them.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 07:50:56 AM »
I think any specific amount of time or number of attempts depends entirely on the situation. For me, it falls more along the lines of 'if it's disrupting other skaters' practice, then it's a problem'. So, if you're in the same spot for a long time and not moving for other skaters, that's not cool. The longer you're in the same spot, the more you need to yield.

Or, if it becomes clear that another skater wants to use that spot, and you've been there for more than a handful of attempts and you are not in lesson (there are ice hog coaches, but that's a different situation...) then you need to move on. This is particularly true of working on things in popular spots such as on the hockey circles or exercises/drills that follow a line. Whether there are 2 or 20 skaters on the ice, or one is a beginner and another is landing triples, everyone paid for use of the entire surface.

On the other hand, if no one is bothered, then camp all you want - just be aware of what's going on around you. But I do think you'll get more out of your session if you're working all over the ice surface. It keeps you moving and keeps you thinking.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
Gentle talks to obvious newbies could help. The first time I was on freestyle ice to get more one foot spin practice before class test, I was so scared and did not move more than 5 inches for the whole hour. To make it worse, my spot was on a blue line in the way of most ccw jumps! Did not know better, shrug.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »
Oh yes, I definitely remember my own days as a terrified beginner (and also as a somewhat more advanced skater sharing ice for the first time with people landing triple-triple combos - eek!) - it can be scary to get moving once you find comfortable spot amidst the chaos. I always try to give beginners a smile and some extra leeway and, if they're really in the way, a kind suggestion of a better spot on the ice to practice.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »
I think beginners also require more space than advanced skaters, although that seems counter intuitive.

I don't think I think of them as "hogging" but I often have to abort moves because skaters come much closer to me than I feel comfortable with.  Later, I'll skate to the boards and they will almost always say "why did you stop spinning, I wasn't even close to you!".

I'm gradually learning to feel more comfortable with the senior level skaters zipping by me, but in general- I just have to stop what I'm doing and that can be frustrating too.

My biggest frustration right now is some moves test (is it juvenile?) It seems like the whole darn thing takes place on the center circle (8-step mohawk, the cross over circles, some 3-turn pattern that goes around the circle).  So it's not really that the skater is HOGGING the circle, but he has to be there for the entire 30 minute lesson, and those moves REALLY get in the way because they move fast, and they take up a lot of space, and they aren't as easy to plan around as the moves that go down the center of the ice.