You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Fandoms Gone Wild  (Read 2767 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Fandoms Gone Wild
« on: December 12, 2019, 10:07:32 AM »
I read an article today where a someone (not the article author) commented that the Hanyu fans were "crazy."  I'm a terrible spectator and an even worse fan: I pick my favs each season and root for them, but I don't do anything other than cheer for the occasional competition I watch on TV. 

It seems like the Hanyu fandom is on par with the other elite skater fan groups for dedication and zany-ness, so I'm not sure why they're being singled out for being crazy, but ymmv. 

I started thinking about it and comparing it to movie, tv and music stars.  I've noticed a very-good trend among younger stars: they redirect that energy into healthy, positive channels.  One actor supports a cancer charity and ask his fans to participate and donate to that organization.  Another started on online fitness program that also support charities and promotes healthy lifestyles.  Dolly Parton is incredible, with all she's done for her community/state plus starting a children's book donation nationwide.

I know that these skaters are young and probably dependent on their parents but maybe this is something they could do for their fans, who are also young.  Maturity gives most people the ability to step away from a confrontation, in fact, that's how this message board started - someone decided to go it on their own.

Just thinking out loud: instead of tossing stuffed animals, maybe they could volunteer at a children's hospital, which is where many of those toys end up.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Fandoms Gone Wild
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 06:41:15 PM »
With the tidal waves of pooh bears hitting the ice, watching the aftermath of a Hanyu program just boggles the mind . It would be good to have something more socially responsible. (Says the curmudgeon who would normally dismiss any stuffed animal as childish.)
Bill Schneider

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Fandoms Gone Wild
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 11:54:47 AM »
I can think of a lot worse things for kids to get involved with.

For most of his fans, this phase will pass. In the meantime they do little harm.

I love to skate. But the average skater's carbon footprint may be greater than the average non-skater's, between the rink and driving. I have also often driven an SUV 5 - 8 hours each way for weekend backpacking, paddling, and ski trips. Perhaps I use more resources than they.