You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson Premiere or Elite or ???  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Jackson Premiere or Elite or ???
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
I currently have Jackson Elites, which I'm relatively happy with, and I'm trying to decide if I should replace them with another pair of Elites (if I can find them) or Premieres so wondered if anyone had experience of both.
I'm not doing doubles but tall and overweight so need a stiff boot, and don't want a boot which doesn't have the rolled top.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Jackson Premiere or Elite or ???
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »
If you are used to a stiffer boot you will probably find the premieres too soft - I tried a pair a few years ago and that didn't last very long because I knew I'd break them down quickly if I kept skating in them.  I've also seen people describe the premiere as being "very stiff" but that really wasn't my impression of them - it's just proof that we are all different :)

The 4200 model is probably closest to the old elites, the 4500 is closer to the old elite plus - I thought the 4500 could be ordered in different strengths but I'm not seeing that now.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 05:52:32 AM »
You're right sarahspins it definitely used to be possible to order the elite supremes in different strengths, but looks like they've removed that option.  Seems that over the past few years they've been steadily reducing their range and options - things you used to be able to order are no longer available.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »
Well I seem to recall it as recently as a few months ago when I was looking into the 4500, so it wasn't that long ago.  Doesn't matter... their constant need to change their boot line-up has me waiting on a custom pair of Harlicks now for just about what I'd have ended up spending on another pair of Jacksons to get what I wanted (which was basically the old 3900 in a split width), so we'll see how those work out :)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:47:27 PM »
It does seem difficult to keep track of their range, especially with the stiffer boots, and I'm not sure why they are doing it as its not like there's a really major improvement from one year to the next.
It's so confusing - I was searching for Elites earlier and even though they used the same name for a few years it seems that they had several different models - one for each year!!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 04:31:32 AM »
The 4200 model is probably closest to the old elites, the 4500 is closer to the old elite plus - I thought the 4500 could be ordered in different strengths but I'm not seeing that now.

You're right sarahspins it definitely used to be possible to order the elite supremes in different strengths, but looks like they've removed that option.

Thought I'd update my earlier comment in case of later readers of this thread - I may have done Jackson an injustice  :P as I just found on the "What's New" section of their website that it seems that the Elite Supreme still comes in variable stiffness.

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/ContentPage.aspx?SitePageId=0SqrRBAwAP952uJVhUDLOQ1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 10:03:53 AM »
What is weird is that when I posted, that info was not up on their website, but I remember having seen it before.  The 4200 is available in two strengths (75 and 85) as well.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 11:23:44 PM »
Wow, I could have been the OP on this thread!  ;D

My Elites are going too...if the aching feet weren't a subtle enough sign, the giant creases at the ankle probably are...I've been wondering about the 4200, and now I've decided that they're the ones.

Now I just have to find the extra $500 lying around to buy them and have them shipped to Australia... :'(
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
Now I just have to find the extra $500 lying around to buy them and have them shipped to Australia... :'(

That's always the tricky bit, isn't it :)  One advantage to my ordering customs this time around (with Harlick, not with Jackson) is that I paid a deposit, and the balance is due when they ship (in ~8 weeks), so even though it's a lot of money for a pair of boots, the sting of the cost is spread out a little bit.