You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Plugging mounting holes  (Read 1067 times)

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
Plugging mounting holes
« on: August 22, 2011, 02:08:05 PM »
I have searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.  I am getting my new blades any day now and was wondering the best and long lasting way to plug mounting holes.  I plan on using the same holes and don't want to risk stripping the holes or messing them up.  I've heard epoxy, leather shoved down in the hole, super glue, match stick with wood glue and a variety of other methods.  I've used epoxy in my old Ridells when the screws got stripped and it held great.  But wasn't sure if that was still an accepted method.  Thoughts?

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
Re: Plugging mounting holes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:30:29 PM »
Hi Roseyhebert,

I have had good luck with matchsticks plus epoxy.  I first make sure the matchstick will fit (this is particularly important if the heels have rubber coated soles because the screw holes tend to try and self-seal), then I coat it with epoxy and hammer it into the hole.  Finally I break off any matchstick that protrudes and file it down flat with the sole.  If needed, I also use a spot of wood filler to seal up any indentation around the matchstick.