You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ok, now a blade issue  (Read 1936 times)

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
Ok, now a blade issue
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »
I have a pair of Pattern 99's that are from 2005 bought brand new.  I skated in them for about 3 years pretty hard, then quit skating and just skated public sessions.  Took time off completely with no skating and now back to freestyle doing axle and 2Sal and about to start 2Loop again.  For some reason, even though I had my blades sharpened not too long ago (less than 20 hours on this sharpening and I don't land flat footed) the blades are dull and I've noticed in the past they weren't holding sharpenings very long.  There is still sharpening room left though, but not that much.  I am only 144 lbs and 5'9.  When I take off on jumps, I have horrible skids and also can't seem to hold the edge in a landing without skids.  Thoughts?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Ok, now a blade issue
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »
Did your sharpener change? I've heard stories of sharpeners who don't know their business.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 05:15:45 PM »
Did your sharpener change? I've heard stories of sharpeners who don't know their business.

Nope, same guy I've had for years and years.  He's always been VERY good.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:48:33 PM »
Go back to the sharpener.  Maybe the ROH is too shallow.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:31:33 PM »
It may be time to get new blades- I found when they got more worn down sharpenings didn't last as long. 

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:09:43 PM »
It may be time to get new blades- I found when they got more worn down sharpenings didn't last as long. 
Kind of what I was thinking too but wanted other opinions. I think I will try one more sharpening and see what happens. If same problem persists then I think it will be time for new blades.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
A high priced sharpener says that for about a year MK/Wilson sold some high level blades that were not edge-hardened. Your blades are very roughly the "right" era, but I don't remember the details. However, if the problem is new, that doesn't explain anything.

Was the sharpening recent? Corrosion dulls the blades even when not used.

Maybe your ice rink is dirtier than it used to be.

Are you taking care of your blades and storing your skates the same way you used to? Advise which is too hard for most skaters to follow: only walk on the toe picks or in hard guards off ice, and not very far, wipe them totally dry and oil them immediately after each use, before covering the blades in dry Soakers. Never put skates in a bag, box or trunk, and don't leave them in your car.