You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What blades after Coronation Ace?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
What blades after Coronation Ace?
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:53:48 PM »
I am an adult skater working on Silver moves and Freestyle.  Have all my singles through lutz and working on axels.  I have had only Coronation Aces and was debating whether to go with another CorAces pair or switch to something else.  I am considering Ultima Freestyle.

The main reason for switching is, according to the reviews, they hold the edge longer. Plus, I am just curious about the feel of a different blade.  Since I can't really compare, I don't know if I have any particular problems with the blade itself vs. my technique at this level.

I don't think I have issues with spins (well, no more than you would expect with someone my level). But in the learning process spins definitely take more practice than jumps for me. 
What are your thoughts, suggestions or recommendations?  Stay, switch?? Try another blade altogether??
p.s I am not considering Ultima Legacy (which is the same profile as Coronation Ace), because it does not have the blade hardening that the Freestyle has. 

I don't think I am a hard adjuster to equipment.  I used to ski race as a child/ teenager on straight skis and tried the new "parabolic" ones as an adult.  Everyone talks about how much better the parabolic ones are, I can't tell a difference!   So, what do you recommend?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: What blades after Coronation Ace?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »
The Ultima Matrix Legacy does have the blade hardening feature.  (not the EXT, or whatever they call it- but they have stainless steel blades which are harder than their normal carbon steel Legacy blade)

I got them and the RIP on my edges is AMAZING.  My coach is complimenting me constanly, and I feel sad to admit that I'm not doing anything different....

I really like them, although it took a few sessions to get used to (skating at all) the cross cut toe pick when jumping, and I still don't have my backspin back 4-weeks later (by my backspin wasn't that strong to begin with, my scratch spin is back and if I center it it is FAST on these blades).

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: What blades after Coronation Ace?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:20:42 PM »
After my coronation aces, I switched to pattern99s, I LOVE them!