You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Low-rise skating tights?  (Read 5314 times)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Low-rise skating tights?
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »
Are any of the brands making a low-rider/low-rise tight? DD's new dress is cut ... way ... low in the back and you can see the elastic band.  We have to use proper skating tights; her coach is very strict on this, and she prefers them herself anyways.  We have enough of a problem getting them loooonnnngg enough to cover her extremely long legs, so, cutting off a waist band isn't an option, as that's likely to end up with the tights sliding down.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: Low-rise skating tights?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:19:06 PM »
I don't know of any brands making low rise skating tights - Capiezo makes low rise dance tights though.

Maybe you could cut the waistband off, trim the tights to be low rise and sew back on? A friend or seamstress with a serger? I have also heard of people sewing the tights into a dress for competition but I wouldn't trust it to hold up for any length of time. I usually line my low cut dresses that I make - mesh with a spandex underneath.

There must be a solution, look at all the low cut ice dance dresses!

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:25:11 PM »
Capezio's tights are shorter in the waist now. It just depends on how low is low :)

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »
I have low rise tights and I think they are technically dance tights. The only problem I have with them is that they roll down when I wear them separately (I usually wear 2 pairs), but combined with regular tights they are fine.  

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 10:38:47 PM »
Bloch & Body Wrappers also make low rise tights (dance weight though). Bloch's have a "grippy" waistband that keep them in place.

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »
Could another option be wearing a beige colored leotard underneath that would blend in with the back of the dress and hide the line from the tights?

I agree, capezio tights do seem to have a lower waist. 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:04:03 PM »
Could another option be wearing a beige colored leotard underneath that would blend in with the back of the dress and hide the line from the tights?

I agree, capezio tights do seem to have a lower waist. 

Unfortunately, no; it's essentially entire backless, is sleeveless, and the illusion is extensive; we can't even sneak a dance bra underneath it - from the back, it looks like she's wearing a skirt that's quite low on the hips, and that's IT.  The line on the leotard would be apparent ...

her dad I think would be happy if she wore a sweatshirt over it :)

I'll check out the Capezio tights ... we have some decent dance stores hereabout.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 11:43:44 PM »
You should be able to cut off the waistband and some of the briefs length, then sew on a plain nude cotton lycra band at a lower rise.  For years now, I've cut off the bands from all my tights, and replaced them with wide cotton lycra bands.  This has the dual effect of eliminating the waistband line and lifting the rise.  The tights fabric doesn't fray or ladder in that direction.

I'm not sure you could re-sew on the original band, as it may either slip down or be too tight to wear comfortably, but if your DD has an old pair of tights she's willing to sacrifice to the greater good, you could experiment.  You don't need a serger - a sewing maching with a basic zigzag stitch works fine.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 08:12:09 AM »
When we used to wear backless dance outfits, we would grab the tights, pull them down, and use 2 or 3 safety pins to secure them to the low backs of the dress.

As for a bra- if she needs one- can you just sew cups to the front?

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 08:38:41 AM »
When we used to wear backless dance outfits, we would grab the tights, pull them down, and use 2 or 3 safety pins to secure them to the low backs of the dress.

As for a bra- if she needs one- can you just sew cups to the front?
One of the girls at my rinks wears one of those "stick-on" bras. It's the weirdest thing but she says it works. I couldn't even tell, it looked like she was supported though.  I believe she paid about $40 for hers at a department store.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 08:46:23 AM »
If your dd is young and has small boobies, you could also use the petals that the dept stores sell.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:51:42 PM »
Can't sew anything to this dress, and don't need to; it's "competition fit" - i.e. skin tight - and you could tell if she had a bandaid underneath it  ;D; late teenaged years - and - well - neatly and nicely endowed (B to C cup, depending). Our dressmaker always builds support into the front of the dress such that we don't need anything else ... it's essentially a built-in bra, and it works well, it's totally invisible and doesn't distort the line of the dress at all - we just will put a dance bra underneath sometimes just to put a bit of extra support/security, and for comfort level in terms of changing in the dressing room (modesty).

I do handwork - stoning, etc - don't have access to a sewing machine, or anything of that ilk.  I'm going to have to go with a purchased solution ...  I woudn't be able to pin the tights to the dress, as the skirt is silk chiffon, and the body is satin with minimal stretch; you'd also be able to see the pins through it, and I'd worry about tearing. I may see if I can hit up Victoria's secret or something for pair of flesh toned knickers that I could pull OVER the tights to cover the waistband ... I think they might have something like that ...

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:22:16 AM »
Might not help for now, but if DD has this dress for the season and you can't find a ready-made solution, could you maybe ask your dressmaker to alter a couple of pairs of comp tights for you and mail them back?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 01:56:15 AM »
I'll check out the Capezio tights ... we have some decent dance stores hereabout.

Definitely do that :)   I prefer dance tights to skating tights, I just think they fit better (especially the kind with a knitted, rather than sewn-on, waistband) - and they tend to come in "tan" colors that aren't quite as dark as most skating tights, making the difference between my pasty white skin and legs much less dramatic.